Dupes - which & what shoud I let go of? =/

MelissaLo87

I hope it's okay to post about downsizing here. I couldn't find any similar threads about it.

I'm in a purging phase right now. That doesn't mean I'm going to stop buying makeup, but rather focus more carefully on what I choose to purchase so that I only own products that I love and will not neglect.

I know many of us like to have a wide selection of similar colors so I'm hoping for some suggestions.

Right now I'm focusing on eyeshadow palettes and lip products. Some I already know I'm going to sell or give away, but others I'm having trouble with.

First: UD Naked 1 & 2 palettes. I know many colors are similar, but I'm having a hard time purging the Naked 2. Are there any reasons I should truly keep it?

Second: Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stains. They're my favorite and go-to lip products. I used to have 10 out of the 12, and I already got rid of one because it just didn't show up on my pigmented lips. Now I'm focusing on the colors that are too similar - Sweetheart, Lovesick, and Smitten. I've worn Lovesick the most out of the three, and it's caused me to neglect the others. Also, I've heard Sweetheart and Smitten stain very similarly, but again, even if they're similar, I feel like I don't need both. If anyone has all three, opinions are greatly appreciated!

Sorry for the long post. For me, having too many similar colors gives me anxiety because I want a well-loved stash.

Jumping Mice

If I remember correctly, the Naked 2 has more cool-toned shades than the original Naked, right? Which palette is more flattering on you (or are you neutral?!) and which do you wear the most anyway? Same with the balm stains, which look best and which do you love most? If the colors are too similar, why not REALLY test them out and see which ones you keep? What you can probably do is keep a container in plain sight with non-basic products for two to four weeks and see which in the bunch you use the most and which you use the least. That way, it will be easier for you to slowly weed out the products in your stash that are just taking up space. If you don't want to limit yourself to a few choices for that long, maybe for a month or two, you can keep track of what products you use and how often. I'm in the process of purging my hoard too. I won't stop buying makeup either but I've just gotten to the point where I know what I like, what will work for me, and what I look for in a product. I'm mostly immune to beauty ads, but now, I just need to work on sales resistance!

shellygrrl

Staff member
Which do you use more often, out of Naked 1 and 2? And I don't think most of the colours in N2 are similar at all to N1. (Both have Half Baked, and Hustle in N1 is exactly the same as Busted in N2. That's about it.)

MelissaLo87

I'm in the process of purging my hoard too. I won't stop buying makeup either but I've just gotten to the point where I know what I like, what will work for me, and what I look for in a product. I'm mostly immune to beauty ads, but now, I just need to work on sales resistance!
Beauty ads haven't really ever suckered me into anything, either. It's the actual hype that does.

As for the Naked palettes, I'm a neutral so I can get away with both cools and warms. I definitely reach for my Naked 1 more often, because it's honestly only because of the packaging. I'm probably the only person who prefers the Naked 1 packaging over the Naked 2 and 3. You could even put the Naked 2 in the Naked 1 packaging and I would end up reaching for that one more.

I gave ALL of my BalmStains away to a family friend who recently finished beauty school. I actually donated a whole box full of my sanitize-able makeup to her for her starter kit and I don't regret it. I'll probably repurchase some of the BalmStains because now I know which ones I miss. I can see how it may look like a waste of money to some people, but I was also helping someone out at the same time so I don't see it that way.