Dying dark hair blonde...

Didididums

Hi guys! I have naturally dark brown hair <<<<avatar<<< and I want to get it blonde... I have been getting alot of comments from family members and friends such as 'it will go orange' or 'if you use a pre lightener then a hair colour it will be fine' and I am really unsure on what I should do...

Is there anyone who has had similar experience and knows how I can go about dying my hair... I know it's possible to get it right because I have seen loads of people with naturally dark hair but lovely blonde dyed.. Please help!!

Thanks
smiles.gif

AmberElizabeth

DONT DO IT YOURSELF!!! Go to a salon and have it done professionally. It will turn out orange, or even worse if you try to do it yourself. You'll ruin your hair.

I had blonde hair, and dyed it dark and now that I'm ready to go back to blonde I'll go have a professional do it. Going from light to dark is easy, but going from dark to light- especially dark to blonde- is something that should ALWAYS be done by a professional.

Junkie

You'll need to go to a salon to go blonde if you're naturally dark. Your family is right about it going orange - thats typically what happens with dark hair when you try to lighten it significantly. The salon will probably need to lighten, tone, lighten and then tone a few times to achieve the desired lightness. The process can take a few days depending on your hair (some prefer to let your hair rest a bit - especially if you use heat products or if its pre-lightened already, permed, relaxed, damaged, etc). It really depends. But I would strongly recommend heading to a professional salon first and asking for a consult.

Don't try to DIY at home with a boxed colour - you'd only be asking for trouble. I can't even begin to tell you how many girls have come into my work crying because they turned orange!

Didididums

lol Thanks! My Mum is actually a proffesional hairdresser, my sister too, but they are both refusing to help me because they don't think blonde will suit me
ssad.gif

purrtykitty

I took my near-black color processed hair all the way to a light golden blonde over the course of three days, but in the process I damaged it pretty badly.

It is possible, but you really need to do your research. I read this blog for tips, etc.

I'll tell you the process I went through, although parts may not be applicable. I went to a beauty supply store (like Sally's - idk if there is an equivalent in the UK) and purchased a couple of bottles of developer (volume 40 for maximum lift/lightening and volume 20 for minimal lift). I also purchased several packets of powder lightener and a deep treatment conditioner.

I used one packet of lightener at a time and did several courses of treatment, conditioning thoroughly each time. My hair did go orange at one point in time, but I knew it would. Once I got it to a point where I felt my hair was light enough, I purchased a couple of bottles of toner. Since my hair had strong yellow-orange undertones, I purchased toners with a blue-violet and violet base. I applied the blue-violet toner first, followed by the violet toner. As my hair still was not quite the color I wanted, I then purchased a tube of hair color (a light golden blonde) and a volume 40 developer (to lift the color just a bit more). I waited to purchase the toner because I wanted to see what undertones my hair would have, as it turned out, it was yellow, so I purchased a violet toner.

As you can see in my avatar, I have platinum roots with light golden blonde body. But again, my hair is quite damaged, and it's taken me about three weeks to get it mostly healthy, although definitely not back to normal.

I will say, your hair doesn't look as dark as mine was, so you likely won't have the problems getting your hair to lift. I would suggest doing this over a weekend so you have time to achieve the color you want, or at least have a color you wouldn't mind going out into public. My biggest tip is do your research!

MissAlexisDDD

I'd suggest finding another person to do it then (and by this I mean salon stylist) if you're relatives won't do it. I suggest doing a reconstructor before colouring your hair, it will help get it into tip top condition before bleaching.

Also, if you're concerned about cost how about going to a beauty school to have it done? The girls there need the practice, and there are ALWAYS instructors checking in and overseeing.

Honey xOo

i have dark brown hair and just went to a good salon just for a dark blonde shade and she made my hair so brassy and orangey at the roots! you really do need to find someone who knows what they are doing. i ended up dying it light ash brown myself to get rid of the brassy tones and then doing my own pale blonde highlights for a lighter effect. all i have to say is thank u clairol! lol

Didididums

Thanks for all the tips! We do have Sallys here incase you were wondering PurrtyKitty!
smiles.gif
I have done alot of research, watched process of it youtube etc with people with dark hair (natural and dyed)... Most of them got 2 boxed dyes from chemists, for instance, one woman bought a Garnier vibrant colours blonde then a clairol blonde to apply straight after, and she did this on the regular...

MissAlexisDDD, i'd never actually thought of going to a beauty school to have it done before, we have a really good one nearby where I live.. Thanks!

The thing that makes me want to do it myself, it that I have had regular bleach highlights before and the colour came out really nice and light with no orange tones at all... I'm just a little worried because my Mum is the only person that has ever done my hair and I don't trust myself fully! :p

Didididums

Just thought i'd update you! Earlier on today I called my Mum from the chemist and threatened to buy hair dye and do it myself, SO, she agreed to do it!! YYYAAAYY! And I take great pleasure in saying that I am the proud owner of blonde hair!!!

We just used salon bleach and hair colours with only one application and I had no discoulouring at all apart from where over a year ago I dyed my hair red and all it left me with was some darker shades of blonde at the front of my hair which looks cool anyway!!!

Thankyou all for your advice, and i'm glad I didnt do it myself!

Latest posts