Dying to become a MUA..

Verient

Decided against university for now.. I really want to become a MUA! It's something I am so passionate about... I just don't know what the best way to go about it is. I'm nearly 19 and about to leave college. Ideally I'd love to work on a MAC counter! Any tips?

Modmom

Get your education. Working in the makeup industry is amazing (I work in skin care as a medical esthetician in a physicians office), but the reality of working in retail is lower wages. Why not get your science degree and work with cosmetic industries in developing product? Or take business and become a representative for various cosmetic/skin care lines? You'll make a good living that way. Being a mua for the tv/film industry is very competitive. Not saying it can't happen and I would never want to take away your dreams, but having an education to fall back on is going to give you more options in life. You can prepare for your future and work at MAC part time to fulfill your passion :) Good luck to you!

Mac-Guy

I second that and would recommend that you finish your college education. If you haven't declared a major yet, you might look into an area that gives you a broad knowledge of issues that relate to the beauty industry: cultural studies, gender studies, fashion/history, media studies, art/history, theatre studies, just to name a few.* Or go the scientific route or study business. The knowledge you will gain will be invaluable and will certainly help you to become a better MUA. It is also a smart idea to ease your way into MUA as a professional career alongside your college education. Working part-time at a counter will give you a sense of retail - and a good way to figure out if this is what you want to do with the rest of your life.

* Alternatively, get a degree in make up, special effects, etc. A three or four year specialized training will not only get you the knowledge and skills, but hopefully internship opportunities, which are a necessary step to get your foot in the door of tv/film/theatre.