E/s coming off dusty on brush onto skin?

ballerino

Hi,
This may be a stupid question, but i have this super pearlescant e/s i use on the brow bone, temple or wherever as a highlight. When i use my fingers it blends onto the skin beautifully, it's really smooth and pearly (it's a stage brand: 'Masquerade') though when i go to pick some up with the brush, it's just coming off dusty and weird? It's too hard to just use my fingers, as i'm trying to be precise.
It's not a loose powder, it's compacted. What sort of brush do u reccommend i use to apply it?

(sorry for the randomness of the question, but it's just got me baffled!?)

ms.marymac

Hmmm. Is it kind of frosty or gritty? Have you tried a firm, flat brush?

I have a hard time with frosty shadows, but that's only b/c they drive me crazy! It always looks like a fairy sneezed in my face if I use them!

ballerino

It's a frosty shadow, its not gritty at all its a pearlescant type powder compact. I will try a firm flat brush, i was thinking of that also. Yeh i find different skin types don't like these type of frosty e/s, and just come off plain dusty and clumpy. I think it may be oilier skins that don't agree with it...

Ohsawells will have to give it another shot!
Thanks for that Ms.Marymac, nice to know im not the only one having trouble w it!

helloitsjeanna

MAC's 213 brush is great for blending those kinds of shadows for me at least but typically shadows that come loose like that are hard to work with on their own. Also MAC's 224 brush works great for me in an all over the eye sense (if that makes sense).. for me, 224 works great with pigments.. before i put it on, give the brush a little tap (to get rid of excess but make sure that there's a fair amount on the brush) and just apply. Also, you might want to try putting something like a mac paint as a base all over your lid so when you use the loose shadow, you apply it in a patting motion to just pat it on your eyes and then blend it in with a brush like mac's 213.

Also a great makeup tip that would kind of help the makeup not look so "all over the place" is doing eye makeup first before anything, and just use a mac wipe or baby wipe to wipe the excess stuff extending towards your temples, nose, or cheeks. I guess it's preference, but that's just me.

ballerino

thanks heaps jeanna, that makes good sense
winks.gif
I'll def give those ideas a go. I just bought some more flat, stiff makeup brushes (good quality, though not MAC
ssad.gif
) and i tried them out, they def make a diff. Good to know it was just the brush, not me
winks.gif
hehe thanks all