eBay fraud? MAC

joey_zane

I recently won an auction for what I thought was Guacamole e/s BNIB - the description said there was a sticker on the box saying sample but that other than that it was perfect...

It arrived this morning and had 'GREEN PLUME (WN) SAMPLE' written on the base of the box and on the base of the e/s, someone has crossed out Green Plume on the box and written Gauacamole... were they they same or have I been ripped off? The seller only mentioned that it was a sample, nothing about it being Green Plume
th_confused_new.gif

So I'm hoping someone can tell me what all of this means...

Janice

Could be authentic, though if it's an authentic guacomole could be up for debate. IF it is indeed a MAC sample (we would need a picture) The (WN) next to Green Plume would stand for Working Name. That is something MAC does when they are formulating colors but have yet to finalize anything. It's just a concept basically at that point so they give it a Working Name. Make sense?

So it could be Guacomole, just before Guacomole was officially Guacomole, and if it is then it might not be the EXACT same Guacomole that was released to the stores.
greengrin.gif
Or it could be a special one off MAC color that they haven't released yet. We would need a picture though to help determine that. Unless of course it has a MAC logo somewhere on the current label/packaging.

HTH!

joey_zane

It arrived in the usual MAC box and in the usual MAC pot with the logo and everything - I'm convinced it is a MAC product, it's just the colour that I'm concerned about really as I have only seen Guacamole actually on people as opposed to in the pot, so I have no idea what it should look like
th_confused_new.gif

Thanks for your advice, you have reassured me a little with the WN thing... do you think it would be worth emailing MAC for info or not?

Juneplum

hey joey zane.. it doesn't hurt to email or call MAC and see what they say... i asked my MAC ma and she said what janice said, so u got perfect info! **
th_worship.gif
janice **

joey_zane

That's cool, I've contacted the seller to see what she has to say on the matter, if I'm satisfied with her reply I'll leave it at that, if not i'll call or email MAC 8)

midnightlouise

The only thing I would wonder about would be whether or not it was the same product that was released. I bought samples of Pink Papillion, Meadowland, and Metamorph off ebay before the release date. They were totally authentic, but the PP color is a little different, and the textures are almost matte, with very little shimmer. Luckily I had bought backups direct from MAC, and I use the matte ones wet as liners, but you can definitely tell the difference. Hope it works out! *crossing fingers* for you!

Thumper

I find it fascinating that people continually buy "samples" with working names on them off eBay. Those products never, ever cost a cent to the seller (unless they are "reselling" them after purchasing from someone else).

Obviously they are samples and not finished goods, so it's always possible that texture, colour, etc. may not be identifical to a finished good.

joey_zane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper
I find it fascinating that people continually buy "samples" with working names on them off eBay. Those products never, ever cost a cent to the seller (unless they are "reselling" them after purchasing from someone else).

Obviously they are samples and not finished goods, so it's always possible that texture, colour, etc. may not be identifical to a finished good.

Thanks for your 'input', but when something is discontinued and you can't go and buy it I'm happy to buy something that cost that person nothing, and I have also sold things that cost me nothing... it's all about freedom of choice and supply and demand.

Edited to add: it wasn't clearly described on eBay - if you read my original post you will see that the only info I had was that it was a sample, not that it had a WN.

joey_zane

Quote:
Originally Posted by groupie
I found some pictures @ MUA and Mac product gallery

I just wanted to say thanks for finding these for me - the shadow I have looks identical to them, so i am now a happy bunny
thmbup.gif

midnightlouise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper

Well in my case the seller did not say they were samples, and they had the real names on them, so I had no idea until I got them and compared them to the ones I got from MAC. I didn't make a big deal out of it, there was really no point. Ebay is always a crapshoot anyway
smiles.gif

I'm glad it worked out for you Joey_zane! If you're happy that's all that matters!
thmbup.gif

singinmys0ng

lol i remember one time i paid $6 for a 1/4 of a sample of 3-d glitter..lol i guess i am a retard at math but i'm glad i know what to buy off ebay and what i could easily just swap for! im glad your eyeshaow is really the eyeshadow..i know how crappy it could be if it wasnt!!
smiles.gif