EBAY - Will these changes help?

talste

I've been patiently waiting for the Ebay feedback changes to commence,

Finally it takes effect as of Monday, 12th May on the Australian site.

Do you think think point 1 (below) is a positive step in helping to expose the dishonest sellers out there, Will this be a big wake up call to the evil troll scammers that knowingly sell fake junk?

I'm interested in reading your views,

heres the changes:
Back in January eBay announced some bold changes to the way Feedback will work.
The changes will take effect the week of 12 May on eBay.com.au. They include:
  • Sellers may only leave positive feedback for buyers.
  • Negative and neutral Feedback left by a member will be removed if that member is suspended.
  • Feedback can be given for up to 60 days after a transaction (down from 90)
  • Feedback will be removed when a buyer fails to respond to the unpaid item process.
  • Members have been able to receive credit for weekly repeat Feedback (going back to 1996) since March.
  • The Positive Feedback Percentage will be based on the past 12 months of activity (and include neutral Feedback in the calculation).
  • The PowerSeller Program will use the same calculation method described above to determine eligibility for the PowerSeller Program for the Positive Feedback percentage requirement of 98% positive.
link :May 2008

redambition

it certainly does remove the potential for retaliatory feedback, but also means that sellers are afforded less protection from dodgy buyers.

i'm not too sure of what kind of impact it'll have on the counterfeit sellers out there.

talste

yeah, it's probably wishful thinking that the changes will dramatically affect counterfeit listings, I do think sellers will initially experience an influx in negative feedback as the ratings system is very subjective and I'm sure a few immature buyers will neg now "just cos they can"

MACATTAK

Dang...guess I have to wait until the week of May 19th before leaving my negative feedback for a seller who totally deserves it. I've left negative feedbacks before, only to receive retaliatory feedback. It has definitely made me not do it as often as I should
ssad.gif

Suzyn

Seriously though, what protection do the sellers have now? I mean, what about the buyers that don't pay, or that the sellers end up having serious problems with? Other sellers will not know this if negative feedback is not left for the buyer. I know that I have had problems with buyers, npb and the such. Other sellers won't find this out. Im sorry but I find this ridiculous. I used ebay to sell old clothes and other stuff I wanted to get rid of, but Im slowly starting to abhor that site.

ellienellie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzyn
Seriously though, what protection do the sellers have now? I mean, what about the buyers that don't pay, or that the sellers end up having serious problems with? Other sellers will not know this if negative feedback is not left for the buyer. I know that I have had problems with buyers, npb and the such. Other sellers won't find this out. Im sorry but I find this ridiculous. I used ebay to sell old clothes and other stuff I wanted to get rid of, but Im slowly starting to abhor that site.

I totally agree.
For starters, sellers get ripped of left, right and centre....
Suppose your item gets "lost" internationally (who is willing to pay for international tracking?? - that's only ONE of the requirements under Paypal's seller protection....)

Or the buyer "did not authorize" the purchase with their credit card... apparently.. even though you invoiced them, they received it and they left you positive feedback (it happened to me!!)

I lost my item, money and all costs associated.
Ebay/Paypal (they're both the same) will in both cases, return the buyers money in full. Whilst honest sellers are getting majorly ripped off by unscrupulous "buyers"...
And now we can't even leave negative feedback to warn other potential sellers!!!

Ebay used to be kinda fun... now it's just become a money-making, couldn't care less disgrace.

Rant over!!
tong.gif

talste

Initially I thought the changes would be great but I've been jumping onto the ebay community forums occasionally & can now see why the sellers were so concerned. 1 power seller copped 22 negatives since the changes were introduced for shipping slows and buyers not reading the T&C's properly ! How can the seller be blamed for postal slows and a buyers own ignorance?

panda0410

I know this feeling - you cant leave negs for non paying bidders either EVEN if you've opened a non paying bidder dispute and done the whole rigmarole
ssad.gif
I listed my baby hammock, it was bid on and since then this horrible woman has refused to pay until I give her personal home my address. She was given VERY clear payment instructions - but buyers can now do whatever they like and sellers cant do anything AT ALL about it - why would anybody sell on ebay when there are places like ebid and oztion to sell on now. Hope you are listening ebay - because you SUCK.....

SkylarV217

I am glad that negative feedback can be left without the fear of retaliatory. But there might be a better solution that would better suit bot buyers & sellers