Election protests in Iran

Karen_B

I guess nobody has missed the political upheaval in Iran the last week.

BBC NEWS | Special Reports | Iran

The whole affair has really touched me, and made me realize just how little I know about Iran and its history, in spite of the fairly large number of Iranians living in exile in Sweden. I have gone to school with some of them, I work with some of them, and know nearly nothing of their history.

One of my co-workers fled Iran some 20 years ago for political reasons. He is both worried and "excited" (that's the wrong word, but I can't find a better one in English) about the troubles we now see. Apparently, the regime made the mistake (luckily) to loosen the grip a little: they allowed political debates before the election, and also allowed a candidate not pre-approved by those in power to run for presidency. The people, understandably fed up with being oppressed for all these years, have seized the opportunity to demand change.

I am just thinking how lucky I am to be living in a country where I am free to say and think whatever I want, where I can make decisions about how my society is formed as well as my own life. I really hope that the protests in Iran will lead to something good, that those that have died at the hands of the Iranian regime will not have done so in vain.

Shadowy Lady

I was just gonna post about this. I have mentioned this on Specktra before, I was born in Iran and I lived there till I was about 10. The current event are just breaking my heart. One of my childhood friends was shot and barely survived during the demonstrations of Saturday
ssad.gif
There's also a highly circulated video on YT on a young woman (Neda) who was shot dead on camera. You can't watch it and not cry....

It's great that people are fighting for their democracy. People in Iran have suffered under the dictatorial regime for over 30 years now. It's especially sad as these people are some of the most educated and sophisticated people of the region with a long and rich cultural history
ssad.gif
I really hope that the ppl don't give up. The Mullah's time and their religious leadership is over. I have not met one single Iranian that supports them yet ppl had to suffer for this long. Now though, there's no turning back. All dictators fall and the mullah's will too.

I have had a very difficult week following the events, I hope that those that died didn't go in vein
ssad.gif

Karen_B

ShadowyLady, I am sorry to hear about your friend and I hope s/he will recover!

Having lived all my life in a democracy, I can't even fathom what it's like to live under conditions such as those in Iran. You take all your liberties for granted, but at times like this you really wake up and realize how good you have it.

Shadowy Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen_B
ShadowyLady, I am sorry to hear about your friend and I hope s/he will recover!

Having lived all my life in a democracy, I can't even fathom what it's like to live under conditions such as those in Iran. You take all your liberties for granted, but at times like this you really wake up and realize how good you have it.

She's recovering slowly but unfortunately even the hospitals aren't safe right now. The government ppl attack them routinely and take the injured as hostage! They even attack the protestors homes in the middle of the night and beat them up. Really the worst type of government only does this to its own ppl...

I'm also used to the democratic society coz I grew up pretty much in Canada. But it's definitely something people take for granted until it's taken away from them. On a slightly brighter side, I'm glad that this demonstration is showing the world not to put the Iranians and their government in the same box. Seriously, I've spent years trying to explain this to ppl who never met any Iranians yet think we're some kinda fanatics just coz of our stupid government
th_dunno.gif

gildedangel

Shadowy Lady; I hope that your friend recovers fast and well. This event has really shown me that I need to treasure the freedoms that I have. I don't have to follow a dress code and I can speak my mind and I can live with freedom. I really hope that the people of Iran and of other people under repressive regimes can live in freedom like I do someday in the near future.
smiles.gif

Face2Mac

I so hope the mullahs and dictatorship fall, so much. I have reading up on the history of Iran and it has been through so much turmoil.

There is now talk that a mullahs are taking part in the protest against Khamenei. But I feel this is a political move and their way of saying to the people we are with you but probably positioning for power themselves and I don't think the people want that especially those women.

From what I understand is that Khamenei is done (at least some experts think so especially if the transit and oil workers strike). You cannot rule the people, kill them in the street for peaceful protest and tell them it is ordained by God, not going to fly.

And yes, Neda, was senseless and they have created a martyr.

Shadowy Lady

thanks guys. My friend's parents transferred her over night to a hospital in a small town few kilometers away from Tehran. I think it'll be safer there. The protests are everywhere now though. The more the mullah's try to shut people down, the more angry they get and fight harder.

Apparently the mullah's didn't even allow Neda's parents to have a memorial service for her. They don't want her to be known as a martyr but she is one already
smiles.gif

NeonKitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowy Lady
She's recovering slowly but unfortunately even the hospitals aren't safe right now. The government ppl attack them routinely and take the injured as hostage! They even attack the protestors homes in the middle of the night and beat them up. Really the worst type of government only does this to its own ppl...

I'm also used to the democratic society coz I grew up pretty much in Canada. But it's definitely something people take for granted until it's taken away from them. On a slightly brighter side, I'm glad that this demonstration is showing the world not to put the Iranians and their government in the same box. Seriously, I've spent years trying to explain this to ppl who never met any Iranians yet think we're some kinda fanatics just coz of our stupid government
th_dunno.gif

Best wishes to your friend and hopes for a speedy recovery. The people of Iran are displaying incredible courage to stand up and face threats, injury and death to speak their mind. We have seen this happen elsewhere in the past and sometimes, it doesn't end well.

I have different feeling about this. I think there is more reason to be optimistic for this revolution or revolution-to-be. Iran is considered to be a major nuclear threat to the US, as a direct result of the regime. It is therefore in the US's best interest that this revolution succeed. I would lay heavy odds on the fact that there is likely a lot of covert activity going on in Iran right now, exploiting this favorable public opinion. If you look at it from a strictly art of war perspective, the best conditions for winning against your enemy is if you can win the favor of the population. If you have the enemy's population decidedly against you, then the battle is much harder to win. Therefore its perfectly reasonable to assume that there is a lot of activity right now working to exploit this situation.

Additionally, you will not see blatant involvement from western nations, nor any chest thumping and harsh statements from world leaders. Why? Because the terrorist movement also exploits public opinion, and they will take any interference from the west as proof for their cause, which in the long run may cause more problems than it solves for the west. So there is activity, you just won't see it. And if they are any good at their jobs, the Iranians won't see it either.

Shadowy Lady

you know you do have a good point about the nuclear activity. I don't want the Iranian government to have it either. Nobody in Iran trusts the Mullah's with anything. I mean, they have no mercy on the Iranians, you think they care about the rest of the world?

I also don't think a military invention is the solution, especially from the US. There's a long history of US interfering in Iran, starting from the 1953 coup organized by CIA that took down the only democratically elected prime minister of Iran and replacing him with the Shah. Therefore, I agree with your last paragraph; any sign of military intervention will give the mullah's more excuse to kill the innocent Iranians by labeling them spies or something.

The countries need to sanction the government though, especially China and Russia. These two countries are the two main business partners of the mullah's. If the mullah's have no money, they can't keep killing the ppl. They can't buy weapn from Russia and hire Hezbulla members to come abd shed blood in Iran. They will be isolated and hopefully my homeland will finally be free...I really hope to live and see that day.

ForgetRegret

Quote:
you know you do have a good point about the nuclear activity. I don't want the Iranian government to have it either. Nobody in Iran trusts the Mullah's with anything. I mean, they have no mercy on the Iranians, you think they care about the rest of the world?

I also don't think a military invention is the solution, especially from the US. There's a long history of US interfering in Iran, starting from the 1953 coup organized by CIA that took down the only democratically elected prime minister of Iran and replacing him with the Shah. Therefore, I agree with your last paragraph; any sign of military intervention will give the mullah's more excuse to kill the innocent Iranians by labeling them spies or something.

The countries need to sanction the government though, especially China and Russia. These two countries are the two main business partners of the mullah's. If the mullah's have no money, they can't keep killing the ppl. They can't buy weapn from Russia and hire Hezbulla members to come abd shed blood in Iran. They will be isolated and hopefully my homeland will finally be free...I really hope to live and see that day.

You know...I haven't really been following this story much...partially because I don't watch the news, and partially because I get really emotional over it. Maybe it's just the hormones coursing through my body, but when I heard about that poor girl getting shot and killed...my heart absolutely broke into pieces. You said earlier that they wouldn't let her family have a memorial service for her? Heavens...all because they didn't want to make her a martyr? I don't know, but as far as I'm concerned, she already is one. Dying to support a cause you believe in so wholly is not a small matter.

Also, thank you for enlightening me (and anyone else reading this who may not have been quite so informed) about the situation in a way that I can understand and relate to. Trying to follow things like this on the news is always so hard, and as much as it makes me sad to hear about some things, I still feel so removed from it all...the media makes it feel almost clinical. Having you, someone I interact with on a fairly regular basis, explain it, and be personally invested in it really puts a different perspective on things, and I guess brings it a little closer to home.

Sincerely, thank you for educating me.
smiles.gif

NeonKitty

Quote:

While the covert activity may serve to advance the revolution per se, Iranians must be wary of how outside nations will take advantage of any ensuing uncertainty and chaos, effectively exploiting the nation and it's people. I think it will be important that the opposition be ready to assume leadership and have solid planning on how to address any chaos if the regime is removed. Because just as these nations will act as allies to the people to usurp the regime, they will also be quick to betray them.

So I sincerely wish for the freedom of the Iranian people and nation as well, and that also means freedom from outside control, if you know what I mean. In some minds there is no way a resource rich, nuclear nation will be allowed to run free, and it's too much of a prize for other world powers.

The Russian conflict with Georgia last year is an excellent example. The real reason for the conflict was never talked about, but it is very similar to the reason outside nations have a keen interest in Iran.

Shadowy Lady

ForgetRegret - no problem
smiles.gif
seriousely this is the least i can do for the Iranians. At least make them heard in the outside world. Even though I've spent the majority of my life in Canada and think/feel/act very much like a Canadian, Iran is always going to be my homeland and I will do anything in my power to help this land regain freedom from the fanatics. Even if my role is small...

Btw, not only they didn't let Neda's family have a memorial for her, they haven't even given her body back to her family. On top of that they have made the poor family leave their house and move somewhere where they can monitor them 24/7
ssad.gif

NeonKitty - You sound like such a smart lady, you need to move to Ottawa and have debates with me
smiles.gif
I completely agree, I never meant that I wanted foreign powers rule in Iran. I mean, Iran's been screwed ever since the first foreign power decided they wanted our oil (England). Iran is so rich in natural resources and it's located in such a critical place on the map that it's hard to think any foreign country will be there only to help the ppl :/

Like my dad says, Iran's been around for over 3000 years, the land is tainted with the blood of many freedom fighters, but our nation/language/culture has survived. Looking at it this way made me feel so much better
smiles.gif

NeonKitty

Quote:
ForgetRegret - no problem
smiles.gif
seriousely this is the least i can do for the Iranians. At least make them heard in the outside world. Even though I've spent the majority of my life in Canada and think/feel/act very much like a Canadian, Iran is always going to be my homeland and I will do anything in my power to help this land regain freedom from the fanatics. Even if my role is small...

Btw, not only they didn't let Neda's family have a memorial for her, they haven't even given her body back to her family. On top of that they have made the poor family leave their house and move somewhere where they can monitor them 24/7
ssad.gif

NeonKitty - You sound like such a smart lady, you need to move to Ottawa and have debates with me
smiles.gif
I completely agree, I never meant that I wanted foreign powers rule in Iran. I mean, Iran's been screwed ever since the first foreign power decided they wanted our oil (England). Iran is so rich in natural resources and it's located in such a critical place on the map that it's hard to think any foreign country will be there only to help the ppl :/

Like my dad says, Iran's been around for over 3000 years, the land is tainted with the blood of many freedom fighters, but our nation/language/culture has survived. Looking at it this way made me feel so much better
smiles.gif

Oh don't worry, I never took away from your words that you wanted foreign involvement, just that you wanted freedom for the people. I was just remarking on what I think may go down which while makes me hopeful for a successful revolution, also makes me wary that the people of Iran will have short term freedom and control of their future. So I am a hopeful idealistic person, but my experience has taught me to also never underestimate the enemy. That being, outside interest in Iran wherein the best interests of the people are not the priority.

My husband wants to move to Ottawa
smiles.gif
I'm pushing for Calgary myself. I love debates and constructive argument!

Latest posts