Emotionally drained

tricky

I feel like shit right now. So I must vent.

In Sept. I moved from L.A. to NJ (and I work in NY) after breaking up with my BF of 7 yrs. I am originally from the east coast. I lived in L.A. for 5 years. When I broke up with him he was acting like he didn't want anything to do with me anymore and I felt completely neglected. He always knew that I'd move to NY to try and further advance my career (I'm in the fashion industry) if we broke up. Well I guess he didn't take me too seriously because after a discussion we had where I reminded him of this, he told me didn't want to live with me anymore and couldn't meet my needs, yet we could still be in a relationship. I said I'd try that for a while and see how it goes, but I got sick of it pretty soon so I officially ended it and moved out here. I will say in his defense, that I've always been depressed and only last year did I start addressing the depression, so he has had to put up with a lot of crap with me when it came down to me being so self-loathing. I was far from perfect in the relationship.

So I moved out here and generally speaking I've been happy. Me and the ex have talked almost every day since I moved (good and bad conversations). In February after talking to 2 friends of a friend, I tried ignoring him based on 1) I felt that I couldn't trust him anymore 2) I never want to move back to L.A., I hate it there, and he loves it there (he was born and raised). So I ignored him for 3 or 4 days and he FREAKED OUT. Big time. He was calling me/ texting me/ emailing me non-stop. At first his messages were him being an asshole trying to guilt me into talking to him again, then the messages turned to appologetic, then they turned into straight up freaking out. I ended up talking to him again. He told me he'd make sacrifices for me this time, move out here, go to college, do whatever he needed to do in order to be with me. He visited me twice since then and I have to say things have been pretty good between us.

Tonight though something kind of.... threw me off. Nothing he said or did. I started thinking about the situation and started crying. Since he originally told me he'd move out here, he's more or less said to me he would only do that if he could get a job in his field. Which would be really hard, because there are only 3 or 4 companies out here that he could work for in his field. We had discussed moving somewhere else that isn't L.A. or NY. However, as I'm sure you know, those are the fashion capitals of the US, and fashion jobs are extremely limited anywhere else in the US. So if I moved anywhere that wasn't L.A. or NY, I probably wouldn't be able to get a job in my field.

So I called him because I wanted to talk about it. I'm sick of not knowing what will happen, I want a fucking answer. I feel like I'm wasting my time otherwise with someone who won't ever make a sacrifice for me if he won't move out here. I do not want to move from where I am now. He seems to not understand that. He told me on the phone (in a very pissed off voice) that he can't believe I'm bringing this up AGAIN, that he doesn't have an answer for me. That he will move out here only if he can find a job in his field where he does not have to take a step down in position or salary. It is very highly unlikely that will ever happen since there are literally only 4 or so companies out here that exist in his field. He said that he won't SACRIFICE that. Then, he had the audacity to tell me that I was SELFISH. After I moved out to L.A., away from my family, lived there for 5 years, in a place that I grew to hate, but I stayed there for him, I'm SELFISH. So I said "I am not selfish" as I cried and I hung up on him.

I called my friend to talk to her about it. He called me 4 times since I hung up on him. He has left me 3 voicemails. I haven't listened to them yet.

I'm so exhausted.

Thanks for letting me rant.
angry.gif

Beauty Mark

You both want what's best for yourself, career-wise. I think honestly, that's fine but if neither of you is willing to make a sacrifice, it isn't going to work. I'm not saying either you or he should, but it's just a simple fact.

I'm more concerned that he sounds manipulative and obsessive.

tricky

You are very right. I am not willing to give up my career. I'm not willing to make anymore sacrifices for him, since I already did that, and look how that worked out.

You're right about the manipulative part, I'm not sure about the obsessive part. He just doesn't want to lose me or whatever.

So he left me 5 voicemails last night and 1 text message. The voicemails are a joke. The first 2 voicemails are him telling me that I'm a "terrible fucking person" (exact quote here), that I'm "selfish", that I'm "childish" for hanging up on him, that he can't believe I'm "bringing this shit up again", that he never wants to talk to me again (1st message), that if I don't answer his next phone call he'll never talk to me again (2nd message), that I messed it all up between us and he hopes I'm happy about that. Then the messages turn into "please call me back, I just want to talk to you", calling me by my pet name he has for me. I can't believe he doesn't realize how crazy he sounds.

Willa

If that's not an obsessive person I don't know what else it can be...

I mean, my ex did that to me when I left him
He called like 20 times a day on my pager to leave disgusting messages like yours do. After that, he would call back to say he was sorry, and because I didnt call to say that I was happy to see that he was sorry, he would call back again and leave other crappy messages, insults.

Your man isnt very cool with you
You don't deserve AT ALL to be called names

Right now, you just don't see it the way we do
If I was you, I would focus on MY life, MY job and MY hapiness...

Do you think it's ok to sacrifice your life and carreer for somebody who don't deserve you? Man like that don't change... for the better.

thmbdn.gif

Beauty Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky
You are very right. I am not willing to give up my career. I'm not willing to make anymore sacrifices for him, since I already did that, and look how that worked out.

You're right about the manipulative part, I'm not sure about the obsessive part. He just doesn't want to lose me or whatever.

So he left me 5 voicemails last night and 1 text message. The voicemails are a joke. The first 2 voicemails are him telling me that I'm a "terrible fucking person" (exact quote here), that I'm "selfish", that I'm "childish" for hanging up on him, that he can't believe I'm "bringing this shit up again", that he never wants to talk to me again (1st message), that if I don't answer his next phone call he'll never talk to me again (2nd message), that I messed it all up between us and he hopes I'm happy about that. Then the messages turn into "please call me back, I just want to talk to you", calling me by my pet name he has for me. I can't believe he doesn't realize how crazy he sounds.

He sounds stalkerish, honestly. Having been stalked by a former friend via the internet, she'd leave mean emails. When I ended it, she'd leave a mean email and then her fake persona would be highly flattering.

You need to tell him firmly to never call you again. He sounds toxic and crazy. Are you close with anyone on the East coast? I would tell your parents what's up. He may be harmless, but it's better to err on the side of caution.

duckduck

Honestly, I do not think it is doing either one of you any good continuing to communicate. I am all for staying friends with ex's, but you two clearly need some distance from one another first. I know it is tough to be living in a new place, and I dunno if you have any good friends in NY, but he is holding you back and sucking your energy. Tell him you are sorry, but it is over, and you do not want to talk anymore. Stop answering his calls, listening to his voicemails, replying to his texts or reading his e-mail. It will hurt like hell, but ultimately, you will both be better off.

M.A.C. head.

You need to let him go.

I only know a very little bit, but even from that I can see that you two do not need to be together.

If after SEVEN YEARS, he wanted to "slow things down" and he doesn't want to take a step back in his career to keep your relationship together...

I can also sympathize with your depression issues because I suffer from them myself. On my journey to seeking healing, I've learned this:

You have to fix yourself first.

You can't expect someone else to love and respect and take care of you, if you can't even do it for yourself. Conversely, if you can't do those things for yourself, you can't do them for someone else either.

Concentrate on YOU. He's obviously not of any positive purpose to your healing. And yes, honey, he's manipulative and obsessive. Treating you like crap after you left your family and life for him, not being supportive of the fact that YOU have career goals too, calling/texting/emailing nonstop and leaving mean messages.

Not only do you deserve better, you NEED better, especially if you ever want to GET better.

tricky

I have a question. Do you think it's ok if I tell him that I'll be with him again only if he moves to NY? I feel like if he's willing to do that, I'll consider dating him again.

He has told me before that he doesn't like his job. It seems like for half of the year he likes it, and for the other half of the year he hates it. However, I LOVE my field of work and can't imagine doing anything else.

Why am I expected to have to put my career on the backburner, when I'm the one who loves my career, and he's the one who isn't sure if he ilkes it or not??? It makes absolutely no sense at all.

Oh yeah today he sent me four emails, I responded to two of them telling him how I am not moving from NJ/ NY. In his third email he said, "Don't email me back, I'm done with this". Which I took as don't ever contact me again. So I didn't email him back. A few hours later, he sends me another email saying, "Let me clarify when I say I'm done with this. I meant I'm done emailing back and forth about this at work. I'm not done with you and me, I love you more than anything in this world." I still didn't email him back.

Nice save, buddy. Really. I don't see through the pathetic attempt at back-peddling at all!

kaliraksha

Yeah, I think he needs to make up his mind.... and I don't think that's anything you can help him with. You have every right to pursue your career and so does he. Neither of you are willing to make a sacrifice right now. With the problems you feel that you are experiencing in your relationship I don't think he's being unreasonable by wanting some job security before he goes out there to work on a relationship.

ratmist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky
I have a question. Do you think it's ok if I tell him that I'll be with him again only if he moves to NY? I feel like if he's willing to do that, I'll consider dating him again.

He has told me before that he doesn't like his job. It seems like for half of the year he likes it, and for the other half of the year he hates it. However, I LOVE my field of work and can't imagine doing anything else.

Why am I expected to have to put my career on the backburner, when I'm the one who loves my career, and he's the one who isn't sure if he ilkes it or not??? It makes absolutely no sense at all.

Oh yeah today he sent me four emails, I responded to two of them telling him how I am not moving from NJ/ NY. In his third email he said, "Don't email me back, I'm done with this". Which I took as don't ever contact me again. So I didn't email him back. A few hours later, he sends me another email saying, "Let me clarify when I say I'm done with this. I meant I'm done emailing back and forth about this at work. I'm not done with you and me, I love you more than anything in this world." I still didn't email him back.

Nice save, buddy. Really. I don't see through the pathetic attempt at back-peddling at all!

Going back and forth with him just sends him the signal that you like the attention you're getting from him - even if it's negative and harmful to you. You have to ask yourself: are you willing to take his shit because it's giving you *something*, rather than being alone? He's clearly not making you happy, but he's giving you some emotional feedback that you're wanted and desired, but it's all negative and abusive at the end of the day. You have to untangle if you're okay with that, or if you want something less stressful.

My advice: in my experience, you can pick where you want to live, or pick to follow wherever your job lands you. Usually you cannot pick both. This applies to him too. He may want to stay where he is because he just likes where he's living, or doesn't want to move for whatever reason. That's just as important and valid as picking to follow your career, wherever it may lead you geographically. If he loves LA, it's not right to ask him to give that up just to be with you, in the same way that it's not right for him to ask you to live in LA when you love NY and your career is your priority.

Make a decision and stick to it.

tricky

Maybe it's not "right" to ask him to move to NY when he doesn't have many job options here, but that is his only option if he wants to be with me, which is something he INSISTS he wants. At this point I'm not sure if I care too much if he says he will or will not move out here. I don't think he will ever move out here so I'm not puttitng too much stock in that. I'm tired of pretending that everything will work out in the end when in reality I don't think it will.

He didn't email me more after his last email, and he didn't call me last night. I hope he's given up...

V15U4L_3RR0R

I have to ask, why are you still entertaining the idea of being with him after all that childish shit he's just pulled?

Beauty Mark

Really, he doesn't sound like a good person for you... not even looking at the career and location issue, it really sounds like he's kind of crazy.

The constant emailing seems to be a bit much and his constantly changing attitude... His whole retraction sounds like he needs any attention from you, be it negative or positive. By letting a few hours go, he may have thought he lost your attention... I personally would not go after him again. He sounds like he's going to just bring you down

tricky

I haven't talked to him since Sunday. I told him in an email onMonday or Tuesday "do not contact me anymore". Yet he's been emailing and calling non-stop. He even bothered my friend on AIM to tell her that he's coming out here this weekend. Sadly for him I'll make sure to not be at my place. I'm going to send another email telling him he'll be wasting his time and money if he comes out here because I am done.

User49

I think you said it yourself earlier... 'i don't want to put any more into the relationship when I don't think ti will work out'. I'm in a sticky situation too. My bf just got his dream job and I got mine, but they are a small distance apart. Now this in itself is throwing things up in the air. But the way I look at it, I think you want to move on from this relationship. Have some self worth-you can find someone new who will treat you right and would be willing to sacrifice for you. My bf and I are thinking of moving inbetween the two places we are going to be working so that we can still be together. But it's hard. I think you need to just write him a letter. Get it all out of your system. Explain that you are tired of it all and that you need to clear your head and start afresh. It sux when things come to an end and it's okay to feel shitty about it. But you will be okay. It just takes time. x

tricky

Just wanted to tell everyone that I haven't talked to him in 10 days now!
smiles.gif
Even though he keeps calling... ugh.

Kuuipo

You have given him enough time out of your precious life. Move on, he's a manipulative , controlling narcissist. You need to get your self esteem back and grow stronger. Don't invite him to the East Coast, better things will come your way, be patient.

Latest posts