End of College=New Chapter of Life?

user79

Personally, I think people who go to university straight to get their doctorate and then end up teaching, make for very boring and inexperienced professors. They say, "Those who can, do, and those who can't, teach". I think there is some truth to that, all the awesome professors I had in university were people who spent years in the field working at what they were trained to do...for example I had a poli-sci prof who worked actively in peacekeeping before he turned to teaching about it. He was the most popular professor in the Arts field. University cannot teach you life experience.

Beauty Mark

I think it really depends on the professor. I've had professors who've done the straight to doctorate thing. Granted, it was back during the 1960s or so, and they're women, so that might factor into how interesting they became. I do know, though, they gained practical experience while earning their degrees, by doing research. For me, I plan on only doing research but I'm going to TA this fall to gain the teaching experience, too.

I'm honestly not sure how it works for English, though. I would talk to several professors about your goals and what they think is best for you. There are also some awesome Yahoo discussion groups for various majors.

blueyedlady87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark
I'm honestly not sure how it works for English, though. I would talk to several professors about your goals and what they think is best for you. There are also some awesome Yahoo discussion groups for various majors.

Thanks Beauty Mark! (And first off, i would never make a boring professor, trust me!) I think having a passion for what you do leads to good teachers/professors. There's not really much else you can do with an English degree besides teach, and write. I do write, hope to be published one day. And to get a doctorat in English I know you have to like intern for other professors for awhile. As far as teaching highschool, no thankyou. I hate other people's kids. Of course, if I could make a living off of writing I wouldn't work at all.

Changing topic slightly- I've been thinking about how much it's really worth it to get a degree and such if you plan on being a stay at home mom? Not me, I want a degree more than anything. But my sister-in-law is doing her masters, and yet she plans on getting pregnant soon and won't work or ever use the degree. Is it worth the time/money if you won't use it? I guess people say to get it anyway in case you divorce, you have it. Although if the woman hasn't worked and there's a divorce, she'll get spousal support until she re-marries. (My poor stepdad has to give his nutjob ex like $2500 a month, and she does nothing but shop and get manicures, ggrrrr.) Anyone have thoughts on this??

User49

You will find a job if u just keep searching! My advice is to move out with a friend or someone u trust and rent a small place out. You need ur space!!
th_hug.gif

Beauty Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueyedlady87
Thanks Beauty Mark! (And first off, i would never make a boring professor, trust me!) I think having a passion for what you do leads to good teachers/professors. There's not really much else you can do with an English degree besides teach, and write. I do write, hope to be published one day. And to get a doctorat in English I know you have to like intern for other professors for awhile. As far as teaching highschool, no thankyou. I hate other people's kids. Of course, if I could make a living off of writing I wouldn't work at all.

Changing topic slightly- I've been thinking about how much it's really worth it to get a degree and such if you plan on being a stay at home mom? Not me, I want a degree more than anything. But my sister-in-law is doing her masters, and yet she plans on getting pregnant soon and won't work or ever use the degree. Is it worth the time/money if you won't use it? I guess people say to get it anyway in case you divorce, you have it. Although if the woman hasn't worked and there's a divorce, she'll get spousal support until she re-marries. (My poor stepdad has to give his nutjob ex like $2500 a month, and she does nothing but shop and get manicures, ggrrrr.) Anyone have thoughts on this??

Plans change. If she's one of those people who simply likes learning and isn't going into incredible, can't get out of debt, I don't think it's a problem. Several adults have told me that if they could, they'd just be students forever and never work a real job. It sounds crazy to me, but I guess some people are that fond of learning.

Esperanza

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
A career and life book that helped me a lot is "What Colour is Your Rainbow", it has some great advice on how to land your dream job.

I try to find the book you recommended but I only found this one :"What Color Is Your Parachute: A Practical Manual for Job-hunters and Career Changers" by Richard Nelson Bolles. Is this the same one?

*Stargazer*

Quote:
Plans change. If she's one of those people who simply likes learning and isn't going into incredible, can't get out of debt, I don't think it's a problem. Several adults have told me that if they could, they'd just be students forever and never work a real job. It sounds crazy to me, but I guess some people are that fond of learning.

That's me. I'm going back to school in the next year or so to start work on my Masters in Art History. What do I plan to do with it? Absolutely nothing. I don't ever intend to return to the business world. I am content raising my children. I'll probably get a part time job when all my squirts are in school but I will likely never use my degrees (history, english and the planned art history Masters). And I could not possibly care less that I haven't and likely won't do anything with them. I just like learning.

giz2000

Quote:

that would be me...I love being in school...but I also work and take care of a family. That's just the way I function...high stress, high pressure, always having to be doing something. I don't know if I will continue my education past my art degree (that would be my 4th college degree), but things might change, and I just might go for my MFA after all...
smiles.gif

blueyedlady87

Wowza! We've got some ambitious girls here on Specktra!
smiles.gif
Good for you guys. My mom had to be sure to tell me not to make a career out of being a student. Because honestly, I'd be perfectly happy taking my classes, learning about what interests me, and working at the dry cleaners forever. *sigh* great boss, nice people, high-paced work- what more could ya ask for? however the parentel units will only pay up til I get my doctorat. and free, my friends, is a great price indeed.

user79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperanza
I try to find the book you recommended but I only found this one :"What Color Is Your Parachute: A Practical Manual for Job-hunters and Career Changers" by Richard Nelson Bolles. Is this the same one?

Yes actually, you are right, I said the title wrong.

user79

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueyedlady87
Wowza! We've got some ambitious girls here on Specktra!
smiles.gif
Good for you guys. My mom had to be sure to tell me not to make a career out of being a student. Because honestly, I'd be perfectly happy taking my classes, learning about what interests me, and working at the dry cleaners forever. *sigh* great boss, nice people, high-paced work- what more could ya ask for? however the parentel units will only pay up til I get my doctorat. and free, my friends, is a great price indeed.

I think getting a doctorate degree and working at a dry cleaners is....well...I guess I'd rather not say what I think of that. You would be doing a disservice to yourself, and to society, who can greatly benefit from educated people in the work force.

GalleyGirl

Quote:

I'd die to be a forever student - incredible amounts of vacation time, getting to read all the time, constant interaction with smart people in your field of interest...I'm trying to find a way back to that utopia!

Latest posts