Estee lauder internship

Love Always Ivy

so i am a senior at Stony Brook University (biochemistry major, premed) and i just got an email from the director of student affairs about an Estee Lauder internship program that my university has. apprarently, many chemistry majors have participated in this internship and estee lauder has given them fulltime corporate jobs upon graduation. i pretty much shit my pants when i saw the title of the email "Estee Lauder Internship Fall 2007 - call for applications". so as im reading the application i get more and more excited because this is exactly what i want to do with my degree! i want to work for EL labs and help develop new formulations of cosmetics. So i fit every criteria to the T - at least 69 credits, a 3.0 GPA, letters of Reccomendation and a personal mission statement about your career goals and why this internship is part of that goal. the internship would have me working 1 or 2 days a week in their labs in Melville, Long Island (a half hour off campus). E.L pays its interns $10/hr and i get 6 credits for the semester for taking the internship.

the only thing keeping me from applying is the following:
All applicants MUST be free 830am to 5pm the day(s) they are to work in the labs.

im really upset because i am trying to graduate on time (may 2008), so my schedule for Fall (which i made back in April) is chock filled, where i have at least one class everyday. i cant take out any of the classes because i need them all in sequence to get everything done by May. IM SO UPSET. i just wrote a long email to the director of student affairs (who sent out the email) asking if there was any way we can make this work, or if the internship will be available for the winter semester, spring semester or summer, and if i can apply for the position once i graduate, or if once i graduate in May that the opportunity will be closed out to me. i also explained to her that this is the exact career path that i want to take and how extremely interested i am in the postion.

i dont know. what do you guys think about the internship?

VioletB

I totally think you should go for it!! Estee Lauder is an AWESOME company to work for and their research is phenomenal. They have patented several of their products.. What an awesome opportunity!!! To be behind the scenes would be incredible to me. DO IT!
smiles.gif

goyak

I think you should go for it! You sound really excited about it and even though it might set you back it would be a great experience and look great on your resume for after you grad.

astronaut

I would have totally shit my pants! I think Estee Lauder is the perfect company to work for. They have so many great brands and the non-animal testing makes it the perfect company in my eyes! I'm a chemistry, biochemistry major (although I plan on transferring to another nearby school to major in Chemical Engineering) my dream job is to work for Estee Lauder as well.

I can't give you much of my opinion on whether to go for it or not because it's a pretty hard decision. Graduating a little later must feel like a setback. But an internship with Lauder must be awesome too. I hope it ends up working for you.

Love Always Ivy

i talked it over with my mom and she said just go for it. whether it works out or not it would still be great experience and extra credits and pay. this semester is gonna be HARD - juggling and internship, a full biochem course load, working as an asst manager at my other job and studying for the MCATS!

but i think it will all be worth it in the end

thanks so much girls for your encouragement!

MisStarrlight

Yeah, I'd definitely say go for it as well! It's a really great opportunity & perfect for your goals so if it sets you back a semester of school, who cares?

Honestly, I killed myself being so busy in college (18-22 credits/semester, 1-3 jobs) & now that I'm out I regret every second of it. Sure, I got really good grades & my degree, but I don't really remember any of what I was supposed to have learned in school.
If I could do it over again, I wouldn't stress so much about being out "on time" as much as learning what I need to know to succeed.

coachkitten

That sounds like a great opportunity and a wonderful way to get your foot in the door. I would do it in a heartbeat!
smiles.gif

Love Always Ivy

i am so super nervous! i just emailed a bunch of my past professors for letters of rec, but theyre due the 4th! im so nervous that alot of these professors will say I DONT KNOW YOU BYE!, since 90% of my courses were huge chemistry and biology lectures that consisted of 600+ students
ssad.gif
i emailed the director of students if i could have a letter of reccomendation from my district manager at The Body Shop, since she LOVES me to death and would write one in a heart beat
ssad.gif

i wish that i had even just a few weeks more time! because i wont be a liscenced aesthetician or promoted to manager at TBS until after the application deadline, and i feel like that would be super helpful
ssad.gif

i really feel in my gut like this is a life changing event, whether i get this internship or not. im so nervous, my stomach is turning when i think about it

MisStarrlight

As far as the licensing part (I'm sure it will help you a ton), you can always put the (future) date of when it becomes official...that's what we were taught to do in school when our teaching licenses were pending...say you know that you will be licensed in December, you'd write December 2007 on your resume....if that makes any sense.

Or the fact that you are still in school shows them that at some point in the near future you will be licensed.

Janice

Hey, we need an update on this!
greengrin.gif
I saw here that you got it?!
eeksign.gif
Tell us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Always Ivy
im a fulltime student at Stony Brook University, 4th year undergrad biochem major
intern @ estee lauder's labs in research and development
manager at two Body Shop locations

Dizzy

Hey, I know this is a bit late, but maybe it'll help you a bit.

Since Stony Brook is in the SUNY system you can take classes online through the SUNY learning network- they don't necessarily have to be courses from SB (I went there for a semester, and had one class through Albany online), but you'll still get the same credit as you would if it had been a regular class on campus.

At least that way you could still graduate on time and still take the internship.
smiles.gif

Love Always Ivy

yup! i got the internship. i switched around some lab periods and gen ed classes to have thursdays free to work in the labs! :-D

im so excited. im starting in a week!

astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Always Ivy
yup! i got the internship. i switched around some lab periods and gen ed classes to have thursdays free to work in the labs! :-D

im so excited. im starting in a week!

Coooool! Tell me what they make you do!