Everyone should be able to order on the MAC pro site!

silentstorm143

I am a MAC newbie and I don't know if its just me but I think that if you can walk into a MAC pro store without a pro card and buy what you want then why cant the MAC pro site be that way to? I was thinking of calling a pro store since I can't place an order online ( not a pro member here) and don't have a pro near me so I went to the site to look at the available pro only colors which I have looked at before and they wont even let me look now
ssad.gif
you get redirected to the regular MAC site
thmbdn.gif

I think that the same rules to an actual store should be applied to the website as well. I know I am not going to get the discount but hey I don't get a discount at the regular store either I just wanted to buy colors you cant get at the regular MAC.

Not to mention I don't even understand why there has to be 'pro' colors and regular colors who are they to say because I am not a professional I am not going to use certain products or colors
nonono.gif

What do you guys think?

silentstorm143

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeupgirl224
You can call the toll free number and order over phone. You do not have to be a pro member to get pro items. HTH!

I know I can call the store or the toll free number to order without a pro card. What I was saying is you cant look at the pro items on the site anymore to even see what you want or the colors that are available. How can I make a phone order if I don't know the proper name or item number of what I am ordering. I also feel that if you can go into a store to buy pro items without a pro card you should be able to order pro items online without a pro card as well.
Thanks tho

lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentstorm143
Not to mention I don't even understand why there has to be 'pro' colors and regular colors who are they to say because I am not a professional I am not going to use certain products or colors
nonono.gif

What do you guys think?

I think you're getting slightly defensive and upset over not much. The new version of the pro site has only been live for a couple of days; it won't be long before pro product filtering is enabled on the website.

As for why some products are designated pro instead of being listed as consumer, it's nothing to do whether you can use that product or not. Pro products are generally those with a narrow scope of use within professional make-up, or they have very specific instructions for use that don't comfortably sit with existing consumer safety practices.

There are some MAC fans who aren't professional make-up artists who want to use the new Acrylics, and that's fine and it's totally cool for them to buy and use that product. 99% of purchasing though is going to be for use within the industry and it would rarely (if ever) sell on a department store counter, so that's why a product like that is classified as pro.
For another example there are some pro-designated pencils for body art that aren't appropriate to be used on the lips or near mucus membranes like the eye. Beyond it not making financial sense to have body art products on a department store counter, the risk of having non eye- and lip-safe products that look just like eyeliner basically just puts your counter staff in a bad place when someone ignores the appropriate use warnings and comes back with abraded eyes or sore lips.

I hope this helps you understand the pro/general line differences! You're welcome to buy these products regardless of if you're a makeup artist or have a pro card or are just an interested consumer, but there's also a good reason why you can't get some products on regular counters and stores
smiles.gif

aussiemacluvrrr

Yes it would seem that you do need a login now to see the pro products whereas before you didnt.. When I clicked on "go shopping" on the pro site when not logged in it redirected me to the normal mac website, however when I logged and then clicked "go shopping", it again redirected me to the mac website but all the pro products were now visible.

Not sure if this is something they are going to change in the future, but it would seem that without a login you may not be able to view pro products now.

I do find that a little odd as a lot of MAC fanatics do purchase pro products for their own personal use, for eg mixing mediums, eyeshadows, etc.. Hopefully they change this in the future...
smiles.gif

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiemacluvrrr
Yes it would seem that you do need a login now to see the pro products whereas before you didnt.. When I clicked on "go shopping" on the pro site when not logged in it redirected me to the normal mac website, however when I logged and then clicked "go shopping", it again redirected me to the mac website but all the pro products were now visible.

Not sure if this is something they are going to change in the future, but it would seem that without a login you may not be able to view pro products now.

I do find that a little odd as a lot of MAC fanatics do purchase pro products for their own personal use, for eg mixing mediums, eyeshadows, etc.. Hopefully they change this in the future...
smiles.gif

back in june at our last update, they mentioned them redoing the pro site to make it more "pro friendly", where its just basic pro information such as industry info, classes, etc. they hadn't mentioned anything about no longer buying off the site, which was a big confusion to me as i had placed an order on the pro site around 2pm, and at 10pm the site was under construction. the following morning i logged back in and was all sorts of confused as to how to order products, only to be redirected to the regular site and finally figured out how to order stuff after a few (
angry.gif
) tries.

i don't think they'll redo the site to allow non-pro members visual access of pro products as it may cause confusion to people who would see it and want to buy it but can't (atleast with the pro site it was a completely different site than the regular consumer site. does that make sense?).

one upside to this new way-it allows employees the same free shipping options procard members have. employees use to always pay shipping.
ssad.gif

silentstorm143

Quote:
Originally Posted by L281173
If you ever come to New York City, there is a wonderful PRO Store in Manhattan.

Thanks I haven't been to NY since I was 17 if I ever go back I am for sure going to check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lara
I think you're getting slightly defensive and upset over not much. The new version of the pro site has only been live for a couple of days; it won't be long before pro product filtering is enabled on the website.

As for why some products are designated pro instead of being listed as consumer, it's nothing to do whether you can use that product or not. Pro products are generally those with a narrow scope of use within professional make-up, or they have very specific instructions for use that don't comfortably sit with existing consumer safety practices.

There are some MAC fans who aren't professional make-up artists who want to use the new Acrylics, and that's fine and it's totally cool for them to buy and use that product. 99% of purchasing though is going to be for use within the industry and it would rarely (if ever) sell on a department store counter, so that's why a product like that is classified as pro.
For another example there are some pro-designated pencils for body art that aren't appropriate to be used on the lips or near mucus membranes like the eye. Beyond it not making financial sense to have body art products on a department store counter, the risk of having non eye- and lip-safe products that look just like eyeliner basically just puts your counter staff in a bad place when someone ignores the appropriate use warnings and comes back with abraded eyes or sore lips.

I hope this helps you understand the pro/general line differences! You're welcome to buy these products regardless of if you're a makeup artist or have a pro card or are just an interested consumer, but there's also a good reason why you can't get some products on regular counters and stores
smiles.gif

I am not getting defensive that wasn't the point of this post and I fully understand if I need a special license or special training or instruction to use it safely I FULLY AGREE I shouldn't have access to it but as the person with the credit card debit card check or cash- as the consumer I should be the one to decide If I will use bio green eyeshadow a bright colored blush or black lipstick. The eye shadows are all the same but why are there certain colors that are considered pro when/if they are the same as the regular line eye shadows just in a different color ...understand me better?

silentstorm143

Quote:
Originally Posted by erine1881
back in june at our last update, they mentioned them redoing the pro site to make it more "pro friendly", where its just basic pro information such as industry info, classes, etc. they hadn't mentioned anything about no longer buying off the site, which was a big confusion to me as i had placed an order on the pro site around 2pm, and at 10pm the site was under construction. the following morning i logged back in and was all sorts of confused as to how to order products, only to be redirected to the regular site and finally figured out how to order stuff after a few (
angry.gif
) tries.

i don't think they'll redo the site to allow non-pro members visual access of pro products as it may cause confusion to people who would see it and want to buy it but can't (atleast with the pro site it was a completely different site than the regular consumer site. does that make sense?).

one upside to this new way-it allows employees the same free shipping options procard members have. employees use to always pay shipping.
ssad.gif

I am happy for you that you don't have to pay shipping any more. One would think that would have been an auto benefit for employees.

lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentstorm143
Thanks I haven't been to NY since I was 17 if I ever go back I am for sure going to check it out.

I am not getting defensive that wasn't the point of this post and I fully understand if I need a special license or special training or instruction to use it safely I FULLY AGREE I shouldn't have access to it but as the person with the credit card debit card check or cash- as the consumer I should be the one to decide If I will use bio green eyeshadow a bright colored blush or black lipstick. The eye shadows are all the same but why are there certain colors that are considered pro when/if they are the same as the regular line eye shadows just in a different color ...understand me better?

Ah, we're saying the same thing but from different sides
winks.gif

There's no physical difference in product and the consumer is capable of using them, absolutely. It's just that some products - and Bio Green is a good example of this - just aren't good sellers on retail counters. It sells steadily enough where it's available, but not enough to increase production to cover the amount of stock you need to have it available everywhere. It makes sense to call it a Pro product, limit its distribution to certain stores and online and call it a day. It's not a 'this is too special for normal people to buy' thing, it's a 'are we going to make a profit if we spend more money on producing this, maybe not so let's distribute it at a level where we don't outlay lotsa $$$ on production but still make profit' thing. You'd think the internet would fix a lot of that, but make-up companies are slow to grasp technology sometimes. heh

As for why you can't buy it straight away online, I'm still hedging my bets on it being rolled out once the distribution merge between the old Pro site and the regular site is finalised. In my regional version of the MAC site a lot of pro-only stock is being gradually added to the regular consumer site with 'coming soon' tags, ergo that seems the most likely thing to be happening in the US
smiles.gif

silentstorm143

Quote:
Originally Posted by lara
Ah, we're saying the same thing but from different sides
winks.gif

There's no physical difference in product and the consumer is capable of using them, absolutely. It's just that some products - and Bio Green is a good example of this - just aren't good sellers on retail counters. It sells steadily enough where it's available, but not enough to increase production to cover the amount of stock you need to have it available everywhere. It makes sense to call it a Pro product, limit its distribution to certain stores and online and call it a day. It's not a 'this is too special for normal people to buy' thing, it's a 'are we going to make a profit if we spend more money on producing this, maybe not so let's distribute it at a level where we don't outlay lotsa $$$ on production but still make profit' thing. You'd think the internet would fix a lot of that, but make-up companies are slow to grasp technology sometimes. heh

As for why you can't buy it straight away online, I'm still hedging my bets on it being rolled out once the distribution merge between the old Pro site and the regular site is finalised. In my regional version of the MAC site a lot of pro-only stock is being gradually added to the regular consumer site with 'coming soon' tags, ergo that seems the most likely thing to be happening in the US
smiles.gif

I hope the do integrate the SAFE pro items soon that would be nice even if it is online only. Thanks for your take on it.

cutegingerbread

Quote:
Originally Posted by L281173
If you ever come to New York City, there is a wonderful PRO Store in Manhattan.

I LOVEEE that store! and a few blocks away is the BEST mac store, the people there are always so nice
thmbup.gif