Expectations

girlfriday

I am wondering if what you see on the MAC website accurately represents the color you get once you receive it?

Since becoming a HUGE fan of this website I have become really swept up in MAC make up. Making it to a MAC store in my city is a little difficult, though, so I would like to purchase on-line. But I am a little ambivalent as I am afraid the color won't be the same. For instance, on-line it may look teal, but in real life, it might actually be more of a kelly green.

Any help or advice would be great.

Thanks!

CantAffordMAC

Not at alllll.....

the swatches on MAC's site are like, known to bed way off. I don't suggest going by them...at all.
th_dunno.gif

If anything, I'd search the color you are looking for on this website, because it will most likely show up in people's FOTD'S (in the FOTD forum) or in the product swatch forum...those swatches are way betterespecially if you have never seen the color before.

In the product swatches forum, you can ask for certain swatches if they aren't already there. HTH
yes.gif

M.A.C. head.

Don't go by what you see on the website.

If you look at the "swatches" online, it's more like they took a picture of some powder and they photoshop a color to it or something LOL I know that's probably not quite how it works, but that's essentially what it is.

It's better to go by swatches that are done by the many fanatics on the various make up sites.

coachkitten

I totally agree with what CantAffordMAC and MAC Head said. Those swatches are totally off. They used to be worse like the ones you see on Nordstrom.com.

kimmy

check out the mac website's swatches of plum dressing and hepcat...i ordered them online because they look different on the website, and when i got them they were EXACTLY the same colour. the mac website swatches are crap.

erine1881

the color swatches, noooooooooo!!! the color descriptions, almost always yes. working in clothing retail for many years before working for mac, and even now working for mac, i was/am very into color names, like pistachio versus seafoam, khaki versus stone versus cement, grey versus slate, etc. so, by reading the color descriptions, you can get a very good idea of what they are describing. but for actual color visualization, check out swatches here first. then buy.

kjaneb

I found the swatches on the mac website are a transparent image with a colour put underneath with CSS. There is no way they could be accurate!

MAC_Whore

Plus everyones' monitors are different. The monitor on my laptop shows colours completely different than my desktop does.

The Specktra Swatch forum is the best. You get colours shown in different lights, on different skin tones and over different bases. Goooo Specktra! Woot!

ritchieramone

I use a combination of MAC's descriptions of colours and swatches/FOTDs on Specktra to make up my mind about what to buy. The swatches on their website are often quite at odds with how they describe a colour!

Mizz.Yasmine

the swatches suck really bad.

u have to expect a brighter,darker color which is really stupid. it makes no sense to me why they r so off. Peaches blush is bright as hell and on the site its a pale pastel peach.

I suggest looking on ebay or on here. that way u can find real photos people took themselves
smiles.gif

Ruffage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjaneb
I found the swatches on the mac website are a transparent image with a colour put underneath with CSS. There is no way they could be accurate!

Wow, really? That's ridiculous. If they can't take an accurate photo of the actual product, then they should at least hire someone with a good eye for color to photoshop the swatches *cough* like me *cough*.