Experts say sex abstinence program doesn't work

FullWroth

If you make sex a taboo so horrific that you can't even talk about it in public, kids will just be that much more fascinated by it. It's not rocket science, for crying out loud! The analogy about banning fire extinguishers in the hopes that people won't set fires is perfectly apt.

MissLorsie

WOW - im a personal development, health and phys ed teacher in australia and we dont preach abstinence. We do teach it as one of the many forms of contraception that can be used when sexually active.

Sex ed is a major unit in this sujbect, we teach them about being emotionally mature to make such a decision, how to say no, how to understand if you are or arent ready, having the confidence to end a relationship if sex is pushed upon an individual.

We also teach students about all the forms of contraception that is available to both MALES and FEMALES!! condoms, pill, diaphragm, IUD, depo shot, implanon, female condom, abstinence.. and also the unorthodox methods some ppl do use such as rhythm method, withdrawal etc.

We teach that is both the males and females decision to be responsible when it comes to be sexually safe. It shouldn't lie on the males hands to provide condoms or the females responsibility to be on the pill.

God i could go on forever about this, we cant make the kids not have sex but atleast arm them with the knowledge so they know how to stay safe, be confident and resilient enough to say no when they arent comfortable with the situation.

M.A.C. head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark
Given if your 15 year old has a kid, it is indeed yours and your kid's responsibility.

My mother never taught me about sex ed in that I had no idea how to use condoms. However, she did tell me some stories about having a child at age 17 and let me know that she'd talk to me or help me find someone who'd talk to me if I wanted that.

And that's why parents need to take FULL responsibility about talking with children about sex. It's way less likely that your teen will become a parent if you are open about sex education.

What about STIs? Did your mom offer to have someone talk to you about that as well?

I could go on and on and on.

Beauty Mark

I think she meant that she'd have me talk to a doctor, so I'm assuming a doctor would cover all parts of sex.

Although I think that good sexual education is important, part of me wonders if teaching people to be responsible in general is the first step. The people I know who have children (had them in their teens and young 20s, unplanned and unideal) claim "it just happened." They aren't ignorant about birth control in its many forms.

M.A.C. head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark
I think she meant that she'd have me talk to a doctor, so I'm assuming a doctor would cover all parts of sex.

Although I think that good sexual education is important, part of me wonders if teaching people to be responsible in general is the first step. The people I know who have children (had them in their teens and young 20s, unplanned and unideal) claim "it just happened." They aren't ignorant about birth control in its many forms.

I seeeee. The doctor part makes a lot more sense.

And I completely agree about teaching responsibility, IMO that goes hand in hand about teaching about safe sex. It doesn't do much to just teach them about having safe sex if they're not taught about potential consequences.

FullWroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShiva
God i could go on forever about this, we cant make the kids not have sex but atleast arm them with the knowledge so they know how to stay safe, be confident and resilient enough to say no when they arent comfortable with the situation.

Exactly. And plus, honestly, sex is kinda gross when you get down to the mechanics of it, so I have to wonder how many kids would still want to do it so badly if they had more than the romance novel "The earth moooved and it was byoootiful" Hollywood stereotype of sex. I mean, "he clutched her milky bosoms and she moaned with passion" is a lot more attractive-sounding than "And he tried to stimulate the clitoris to get her vagina lubricated, but she asked him to try further to the left because he was missing..."

pumpkincat210

In 7th grade they showed us how to use a condom on a banana, lol..
but yeah, abstinence only programs are really stupid for the general population where parents don't know where to start teaching about sex ed.

dreamerbabiiee*

my parents told me about sex since as long as i can remember and they told me exactly what could happen. i got pregnant at 16, now have my baby at age 17. its not always the parents fault. i did the action because i wanted to. people just think differently.