Extremely Oily Skin - Please Help!!!

lexi584

My issue is that my skin is excessively oily - like to the point that by the time i finish my makeup my skin is already shining. I've tried multiple moisturizers/primers but nothing seems to help much.

Do any of you have this problem and have found any product or foundation that keeps the oil down??? Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

farra712

Good question! I was wondering about this, too. I live in the south and the humidity doesn't help my oily face! I like a good bit of coverage and have tried Studio Fix, Studio Tech, Studio Fix Fluid, Blot Powder, Studio Finish Matte, and Select SPF. Nothing stays on my face because of the oil. I am hoping that I can get it under control! I do try to use a clay mask 1-3 times a week to keep the oil production under control a little more.

ballerino

I suggest perhaps getting a regular facial, if the cash flow permits, as a starter to improving your skin oiliness. Also i recently have found out that using to strong of a stripping kind of cleanser just adds fuel to the fire, as it encourages the skin even more to produce more sebum to keep the skin moist, making it oilier than when you began. Make sure you're using a cleanser that doesnt strip the skin of its natural oils. From what i can gather, oily skin will always be oily, its just regulating it and making it look natural and not oil slick. Assuming you have covered all those bases, the only other thing i can think of is perhaps a mineral foundation, as they give good coverage without the blocked-ness, so i hear.. Though dont take my word i've never used it..

dollbabybex

i have super oily skin... i have to continously use powder...

i have the clinique soap for very oily skin and biore shine control moisturiser, and both have really really helped....

blot powder also is fantastic, as it doesnt build up.its sheer.

XxTinker_BellxX

Maybe a face wash for oily skin would help?! My mother has pretty oily skin and uses Clinique ( its a bar ) face wash for oily skin, and they also have a toner and moisturizer for oily skin. ( i use the mild one its GREAT) The moistirizer is a gel so it doesnt add that greasy feeling. Its worked so well for her. I know its not a foundation or concealar but Im thinking if the skin was made better the makeup would stay better.. right?:confused: Hmm well HTH!

XxTinker_BellxX

hahaha. DAMNIT someone got to it before me
ssad.gif

BlahWah

Thanks for posting this question! I've been wondering about it too. Last month I picked up the pressed blot powder and I loooooove it. Today the weather's jumped 10 degrees, tho (go figure), and the blot powder, which usually kept my makeup (well, my nose) shine-free for about 6 hours, sometimes more, only lasted for about 3 hours! It's still great, I'd recommend you get it for sure, and the Clinque suggestions sound great - I'd like to check those out (after June's collections!
icon_eek.gif
).

In case it helps, I just read in Allure someone dusting blot powder over the face BEFORE applying foundation to soak up oil...has anyone else tried this?
th_dunno.gif
I might give it a run this week.

twobear

I used to work for a dermatologist and the best ways to control oil are to use a cleanser with salicylic acid 2x daily or use a retinoid cream (Tazorac, Retin A, etc.) every other day. But the best and cheapest trick is to increase your water intake. Once the skin is properly hydrated it will cut back on sebum production. Commit to it for one week and I promise you will see a difference.

kaysd99

I noticed a huge difference using dermalogica dermal clay cleanser! I love it! And also during the day I use the Clean & Clear blotting sheets, I find them better than blotting powder, because if I keep applying powder, my face looks gross by the end of the day
HTH

dramaqueen

you should try Cosmedicine Medi-Matte from Sephora! Apparently it works wonders! It zaps oil the instant it touches your skin, it also hydrates and controls shine for up to 8 hours, as well as reduces sebum levels by 44%. It is featured in the Sephora Fall '06 catalogue (pg 26). It also contains a sunscreen (SPF 20). It also mentions the Cosmedicine challenge, to put cooking oil on your hand and then dab the Medi-Matte on it, the oil disappears! I am thinking about picking some of this stuff up, although I only have oily skin in the humid weather. It retails for $42 for 1.35 FL Oz.

caffn8me

I have been told by a well known make-up artist that using vitamin E oil will actually moderate the skin's own oil production. You can buy it in capsule format (the sort you'd swallow) and prick the end with a pin to release the oil and each capsule should be enough to cover the face once. I haven't tried it myself as I don't have oily skin.

Selene

I have a similar skin type, and I use OC Eight oil control gel (official site: www.oceight.com ) and Clean and Clear blotting sheets. This keeps my skin shine free for the whole day. The OC Eight makes any foundation applied on top of it look streaky, so I just use concealer where I need it instead of putting foundation on my whole face. Good luck!

thelove4tequila

I have oily skin as well. I use BE foundation and it has help keep the oil problem down noticeably. Of course you should still find a great skin cleanser. Provactiv is what I use. But seriously BE foundation is great for my oily skin problem.

vivaciousv1114

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen
you should try Cosmedicine Medi-Matte from Sephora! Apparently it works wonders! It zaps oil the instant it touches your skin, it also hydrates and controls shine for up to 8 hours, as well as reduces sebum levels by 44%. It is featured in the Sephora Fall '06 catalogue (pg 26). It also contains a sunscreen (SPF 20). It also mentions the Cosmedicine challenge, to put cooking oil on your hand and then dab the Medi-Matte on it, the oil disappears! I am thinking about picking some of this stuff up, although I only have oily skin in the humid weather. It retails for $42 for 1.35 FL Oz.

thanks! i was actually going to ask if anyone used this. i wanted to try their whole set for oily skin. i'm def going to get it now.

Simply Elegant

I used to have really oily skin too. I went to my doctor and got a stronger face wash and it really helps get rid of the shine, just make sure it isn't too strong. Using a bit of powder before foundation and then after helps as well as mentioned and I just started the Clinique face system so I can't say whether or not it's working. There's a face wash by Neutrogena too that helps control shine and I know that one works.

~LadyLocks~

I to have oily skin but lately it seems like I have found the right products.
clap.gif

In the morning I use Oil of Olay Complete. It's a very light moisturizer and is good for sensitive skin. It also has SPF 15 which is a bonus. I paid about $11 for it but it's worth it because it comes in a large bottle and you only use a bit at a time so it really lasts.

I also use MAC blot power and this stuff really works. It's also light and sheer so all you need to do is brush it on and I find with this, my face is not as oily as it used to be.
lol.gif

Hope this helped if not...sorry.

Good luck!

eye_pr0mise

good post !! i have oily skin too and its a pain. ive been using studio fix studio tech and all that and it looks great. but after a while its shiny /= so i use the blot sheets and then top it off with blot powder. thats kept the shine down for a while. and you guys were suggesting clinique so i think on my next check imma go get me some of that to test it out. btw thanks to all !!

Brianne

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen

This is getting TERRIBLE reviews on MakeupAlley in their Product Reviews section. Average is like a 2.4 out of 5. Apparently the texture of the product is really hard to spread and cover the face and it can leave a whitish cast on the skin. I was all set to drop the $42 and buy it, as my skin is insanely oily, but I don't think so now.

jessiekins1

i have oily/sensitive skin so i have to use products that treat oilness and are gentle enough to not aggravate my skin. someone above suggested dermalogica's dermal clay cleanser. that's what i use. it is quite possibly the best cleanser for oily skin ever made!
clap.gif
serioulsy, that combined with the multi-active toner and oil control lotion, is amazing! i also use the microfoliant everyday(yes, it is gentle enough to use everyday and even in the eye area!) and the skin refining mask once a week. in the last 6 months since starting to use dermalogica, my skin is probably improved by 75%!
soapbox.gif