Eye make up irritants

hickle

I just went out last night, and I used the Kat Von D eyeshadow palette "Rockstar" which is currently the free gift at Sephora for having 500 beauty points. This make up wreaked havoc on my eyes! My eye lids are little red/raw, and very puffy. I think this can all be attributed to the Kat Von D eyeshadow palette. Specifically, I think it was the purple color that did it.

I know I could go to the doctor's and ask them what's irritating my eyes, but they'll probably tell me to wear less make up, or to stick with some boring make up.

I'm posting this because I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar problems. I mentioned this to a friend the other day, and she said she always had this problem with red eyeshadows. I bought some red eyeshadows from smashbox, thinking that maybe it was just the MAC and Urban Decay shadows which irritated my eyes, but the Smashbox shadows did the same thing. Has anyone found a red eyeshadow that won't irritate your eyes?

Other things that make my eyelids puffy the morning after: Loreal HIP black cream eyeliner, MUFE eyelash glue, and MAC pen ultimate liquid liner.

This problem is driving me crazy because I like to wear very dramatic looks, but I end up looking like a disaster when I take my make up off because my eyes are red and swollen. I'm hoping my puffiness goes down by tonight so I can glob some more make up on.
smiles.gif

FiestyFemme

Isn't it the red colorant that's irritating? I was thinking some people had problems with red-based purples because of whatever ingredient is used for the red color. I don't have this problem, but I'm almost positive that I've read about other people having it...

ZoZo

I have the same problem with purples, pinks and reds eyeshadowes!! But one day when I was buying make up in the mall, a make up artist recommended Clinique purple eyeshadow and would like to try it sooner because I have hazel eyes color and this colors make them POP.

hickle

I just put on a hot pink mineral eyeshadow from beauty from the earth and I'm very pleased to report it did not irritate the skin around my eyes. I'm psyched and can't wait to purchase more colors. The color was raspberry, in case anyone else is looking to buy a non-irritating pink.

PinkBasset

If I'm not totally wrong, I think it's carmine that is the irritant. Try to look for vegan shadows (there are hot pinks, reds, purples available too made without carmine), maybe them lacking the bug-ingredient could work and not irritate? For example Sugarpill has bright vegan colours!
smiles.gif