Eye makeup remover to clean brushes? My foundation won't come off my brushes...

xcoco

Hi,

I was wondering if it was bad for my brushes if I use makeup remover to clean them?

I am using Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation and it's so hard to get it off my brushes! I use a shampoo and MAC brush cleanser after and it doesn't even remove half the product on the brushes... So now I use an eye makeup remover for waterproof products after washing with shampoo and MAC brush cleanser in the end.

I don't think it is the best way to wash my brushes at all so if there is anyone who could recommend me another way or products, it would be very appreciated!

Thanks
smiles.gif

Nicala

I find that olive oil helps to remove the residue. That happened to me with Revlon colorstay, that helped a lot. Try to mix it in with a little soap.

aradhana

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcoco
Hi,

I was wondering if it was bad for my brushes if I use makeup remover to clean them?

I am using Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation and it's so hard to get it off my brushes! I use a shampoo and MAC brush cleanser after and it doesn't even remove half the product on the brushes... So now I use an eye makeup remover for waterproof products after washing with shampoo and MAC brush cleanser in the end.

I don't think it is the best way to wash my brushes at all so if there is anyone who could recommend me another way or products, it would be very appreciated!

Thanks
smiles.gif

although in the past i have sometimes used shampoo to clean my makeup brushes, the method i usually go with is to use dish soap - like palmolive, fairy etc...which get the brushes very clean. i'm sure the experts will scoff
smiles.gif
, but i've been doing this for 10 years and my brushes have not been damaged.

SUMM3RxBABii

I've never used brush shampoo to clean my brushes. I've always used soap bar (Dove preferably) to wash them. It's so much cleaner and better (if you're the patient kind) and when you wake up the next morning to your brushes, voila!

rosegasm

dawn dish detergent works really well..

also, in the organic variety, dr bronners 18 in 1 soap is awesome. and works to clean EVERYTHING. and i mean EVERYTHING.

sss215

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosegasm

also, in the organic variety, dr bronners 18 in 1 soap is awesome. and works to clean EVERYTHING. and i mean EVERYTHING.

so true about dr bonner's. i use this soap from my brushes and it gets them SO clean! it literally dissolves the make-up. for me, the fact that it is organic is a plus.

InspiredBlue

While dish washing liquid will likely be great at removing the makeup, it can be harsh on natural bristle brushes. (Think of if this way: Would you wash your hair with Dawn?) Using olive oil or an oil based makeup remover would be gentler.

BBJay

I agree with the previous posters about using dish washing detergent, it does a really nice job of getting the brushes clean, but I'd also suggest getting a daily brush cleanser. They sell one at Sephora and all you have to do is spray it a few times on the brush and wipe it on a tissue. I find this helps get rid of a lot of the foundation residue without letting it sit for a week or so.

sss215

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredBlue
While dish washing liquid will likely be great at removing the makeup, it can be harsh on natural bristle brushes. (Think of if this way: Would you wash your hair with Dawn?) Using olive oil or an oil based makeup remover would be gentler.

i agree and Dr. Bonner's is oil based. lasts longer than dish detergent and is 100% natural for natural bristles. when i wash the dishes with dawn, my hands feel horrible, just think about how your brushes feel.

sss215

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBJay
I agree with the previous posters about using dish washing detergent, it does a really nice job of getting the brushes clean, but I'd also suggest getting a daily brush cleanser. They sell one at Sephora and all you have to do is spray it a few times on the brush and wipe it on a tissue. I find this helps get rid of a lot of the foundation residue without letting it sit for a week or so.

try dr. bonner's. they sell a sample size at target. trust me, it gets the brushes clean. white brushes and "skunk" brushes look like new.

rosegasm

the best part about dr bronners is that you don't need a lot AT ALL. a drop in your palm and you're good to go.

the fact that its organic and SLS free makes me happy.

elektra513

Quote:
Originally Posted by aradhana
although in the past i have sometimes used shampoo to clean my makeup brushes, the method i usually go with is to use dish soap - like palmolive, fairy etc...which get the brushes very clean. i'm sure the experts will scoff
smiles.gif
, but i've been doing this for 10 years and my brushes have not been damaged.

I do this too! I use Dawn
smiles.gif

I've had brushes and even puffs that I thought were goners, but Dawn got them spotless in one wash.
yes.gif

I quick clean with MAC brush cleaner every other day or so, but if I can't get product off, then I do this. Great for foundation brushes!!

elektra513

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredBlue

This is a good point. I don't use Dawn every time, just when something stains the brush. But then again the Dr. Bronners castille soap is too high of a pH to use on hair, so I wouldn't use that even if it is organic. I also condition my brushes when I wash them with regular shampoo. I actually like to wash my brushes with Joico Moisture Recovery
smiles.gif

KimmyAnn_678

I use my Lauder Take it Away make up remover to get off the foundation, then just a brush cleaner and never have a problem getting off my Double Wear.
smiles.gif

glitzbeary

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosegasm

Thanks! Been looking for a good brush cleaner, especially for the white hairs.

Latest posts