Face makeup for very oily skin

dreamer246

Hi ladies, I have extremely oily skin which is also acne-prone. I have somewhat big pores on the cheeks and also acne scars that I need to cover up.

I'll like to know what brand/name of primer, concealer and foundation (plus any other face makeup) that would work on such a skin type? I'm already using MAC blot powder which works great to set my makeup. I want to let my makeup last for as long as possible. I don't know why, but at the end of the day, blush always fades off on the left cheek but not on the right.
th_dunno.gif

Would also appreciate it if you could recommend a primer for the eyelid. Thanks in advance!
smiles.gif

Miss. Herzeleid

Ok then lol...Ill do my best.

Face:
Primer: MAC's Oil control lotion
Foundation: One that is not an oil based product because this will just make your face feel even greasier. So maybe MAC Select SPF Foundation or if you want to use a powder MAC Studio Fix
Concealer: MAC Select MoistureCover or for a higher coverage MAC Studio Stick concealor.
Setting Powder: MAC Blot Powder (which you already have hehe)

Hope this helps
smiles.gif

Smokin' Jo

A great primer for the eyelid would be Too Face's Shadow Insurance or Urban Decay Primer potion. Although both products are great to avoid creasing, i prefer to use Shadow Insurance because i find that i can blend my shadows better.
Hope this helps!

gigiopolis

Between Too Faced Shadow Insurance and Urban Decay Primer Potion, go for UDPP. If you have oily skin, it's likely that you have oily lids and eyeshadow creases easily. The general consensus is that UDPP is great for those with oily lids, and TFSI is good for those with dry lids.

onlyoneeye

I have oily skin. I use Studio Fix. I steer clear of cream eyeshadow, blushes and foundations.

I only use moisturizer all over my face at night. In the morning I wash my face and apply a light oil free moisturizer only on the areas that need it. Moisturizer under my makeup makes my face super oily. You could even try skipping moisturizer altogether and see how this works.

I use Monistat Anti-chaffing powder gel as a foundation primer under studio finish. I find that this cuts the shine. But my skin isn't prone to acne so I don't
know how this will work for you.

I use Urban Decay Primer Potion as an eyeshadow base. I use a tiny amount because it's a cream. Again, I don't put any moisturizer on my eyelids otherwise I get super oily eyelids.

During the course of the day I have to apply Studio Finish with a brush. But now my skin doesn't shine like crazy and my makeup no longer slides off of my face.

Miss. Herzeleid

You should always use moisturiser no matter what skin type you have. You just have to use a different type. For your oily/acne prone skin use a gel based moisturiser that dosent contain oil.
But on the plus side, if you have oily skin then your skin will age slower and get less wrinkles than someone with dry skin
smiles.gif
lol. So there are pluses to having oily skin.

Meisje

I have really oily skin and I've been using TFSI under my shadow. It works wonderfully.

ashk36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss. Herzeleid
Ok then lol...Ill do my best.

Face:
Primer: MAC's Oil control lotion
Foundation: One that is not an oil based product because this will just make your face feel even greasier. So maybe MAC Select SPF Foundation or if you want to use a powder MAC Studio Fix
Concealer: MAC Select MoistureCover or for a higher coverage MAC Studio Stick concealor.
Setting Powder: MAC Blot Powder (which you already have hehe)

Hope this helps
smiles.gif

Just a quick note on the Studio Fix powder, it broke me out something fierce when I used it. Not everyone has the same reaction to makeup, but like with all new makeup routines for us acne-prone ladies, keep an eye on how your skin reacts to whatever you're using on it. I got 3 big cystic pimples right around the same time I started using Studio Fix.

My skin is oily here and there, and I am acne-prone as well to certain kinds of makeup. I have been using just mineral makeup for the past 6+ months and I haven't broken out like I used to with other kinds of makeup. I still get a pimple here and there, but it's definitely not bad like it was with liquid foundation.

When I want to try something new, I'll make a list of different products that I hear good things about, and then go on makeupalley.com and read a bunch of reviews to help decide if I really want to spend the money on it or not. It helps me a lot.

dreamer246

But if I put a primer on before foundation, does that actually help reduce pimples outbreak? Since the primer acts as a barrier between foundation & skin, hence less foundation gets to clog the pores... Does it work that way?

cocomia

My skin's pretty oily as well, but here's what I do (and I don't really think it looks that bad given that I don't do touch ups throughout the day)

Wash face with Cetaphil, then toner (I've changed toners so often, so it doesn't really matter what I use), light moisturizer/sunscreen applied lightly. Then pimple medicine if there's a need to use it.

For makeup, I use smashbox's Photo Finish Primer. There are times that I also use the Mattifying Gel from The Body Shop (has the same consistency as smashbox), which doesn't really mattify all that much, but it does prime pretty well.

I use MAC Studio Fix Fluid foundation, then Studio Fix concealer, then apply Blot Powder.

Sometimes I just use the primer and concealer (on a good day), then Select Sheer powder to set. Then I use the Blot Powder to clean up the oil
smiles.gif

Try using the water-based MAC Select Sheer foundation, it might work better on you. I read somewhere that it's good to avoid oil- or cream-based makeup if you have oily skin. I've yet to try it out since I still have my Studio Fix.

HTH!
smiles.gif

BloopBloop

cocomia has the right idea. how do you care for your face when you dont have makeup on? ive recently started getting back on taking care of my face again (i got lazy over the past 6 months.)

so some key things to remember is to make sure you clean out your face really well with a makeup remover. and then i like to alternate between exfoliating and cleansers. and use a toner to pick up any leftover dirt that the cleansers missed (which can be ALOT) and to shrink those pores. and finish it off with a good moisturizer. toners can dry out the skin, and the dryer it is the more oil your face produces.

here's a list of what i've been using lately:

Makeup Removers:
Pond's Cold cream
korres 3-in-1 milk protein cleanser

Exfoliator/Cleanser:
St. Ives Apricot Scrub Blemish and Blackhead control
Philosophy: Never let them see you shine oil and shine control scrub

Toner:
Neutrogena Clear Pore Oil Eliminating Astrigent (burns but does a godo job)

Moisturizer:
Mario Badescu Collagen Moisturizer w/ SPF15
(they also have an oil free moisturizer, which is what i wanted to get but i didnt look in the bag until i left the clinic)

they also have a website so you can order from them. I think this moisturizer is fine for me, my face isnt dry as a desert and its not fry-pan oily.

As a primer, im finishing up smashbox's photofinish primer so i can use monistat's anti-chafing powder gel. which feels and works just like smashbox, just 1/3 of the price and more product.

Now for the makeup, i just use studio fix fluid, and since summer is coming up, i'll top it off with mac's blot powder and if it looks too powdery on my face, mist it with a litttle fix+. For my lids, im with UDPP.

vixo

Hi, another lady with oily skin here!
ssad.gif

I'm 43 yrs old and no longer have acne, but did when I was younger. My skin remains oily though, with occasional pimples during PMS period.

I've been using MAC full coverage foundation for a year and it's very very heavy for everyday use, and not really nice to wear under hot climate ...

I heard some great reviews on MUFE's Velvet Mat + foundation but I love MAC, it's cruelty free so I'd rather purchase another MAC foundation again.

However, I still haven't made up my mind on which one is more suitable ... :

So, which foundation is better for oily skin, Studio FIX Liquid or studio fix powder ??? Is studio fix powder as heavy as full coverage foundation ???

Is there any other MAC foundation you guys would recommend ?

I've been reading every MUA review but it's very confusing ...
ssad.gif

Thanks a lot for your help, and excuse my English mistakes
tong.gif

mac_addict.gif