Face Makeup Recs? (MAC, methinks)

VeganChick

So I just got hired and I really want to buy some nicer makeup. (As a treat, not for the job.) Drugstore brand makeup just isn't cutting it for me anymore. I'm very fair. I use the lightest shades in Maybelline and Covergirl foundations. I like to use concealer, foundation and pressed powder (buffed on with a Tart mini buki). I then shade in my brows with a CG pencil and curl and mascara up my lashes.

Right now, it's super hot and humid, so my skin is pretty gross. I'll give you a low-down on what it normally does. Ideally, I'd like to buy a few products that will last me through both conditions. (My dry, flaky nose is being helped by a Clean and Clear moisturizer, but I'm scared it will come back!)

In the hotter weather:
  • oily t-zone
  • normal elsewhere
In cooler weather (fall/winter):
  • dry, flakey nose
  • comofortable elsewhere
  • a little shine on the forehead
Other problems:
  • dark, ugly undereye circles
  • acne marks (and some acne, too)
  • uneven skin tone
  • short, sparse lashes
  • sparse eyebrows

I talked to a MAC makeup artist through LiveChat and she recommended a bunch of things for me. She said that I should definitely buy some Prep + Prime. Then she said I should use Select SPF foundation, set that with blotting powder, and use Select concealer for extra coverage.

I loved lilchocolatema's tutorial on buffing concealer/powder for optimum coverage. The MA said that Mineralize SPF Foundation/Loose Powder would be best (for combo-dry skin). For oilier skin, she stuck with her other rec. For undereye circles, she said to use the Fast Response Eye Cream and then either Select Cover Up or Select Moisturecover concealer. And for my lashes, she said to use Prep + Prime and then Plushlash Mascara.

So are these rec's spot on? Would you change anything? Thanks so much!

ETA:
Also, I think I might buy the billyb brushes from in lilchocolatema's tute. #3 and #4
And if you have rec's from other brands that you think are way better and/or cheaper, feel free!

VeganChick

icon_bump.gif

I got paid, so I'm probably gonna buy some stuff very soon. Help me choose?

Susanne

In summer I have combination to oily skin and I love wearing Select SPF 15 foundation with Select Sheer Pressed Powder right now.

Here is a FOTD from yesterday where I wear this combo.

http://specktra.net/f166/looking-for...4/#post1195713

I think this is not to much makeup for summer.

In fall/winter my skin is more combination to normal (sometimes dry on the cheeks), then I use Studio Fix Fluid foundation.

HTH!

VeganChick

Thanks Suzanne! That really does help. I'm going to hold off on buying new foundation, since I have 2 bottles aren't even close to used up yet. Plus I'm buying new skincare stuff, so I'm hoping I'll have more normal skin very soon. I'll definitely keep your ideas in mind!

BTW, that look you posted is soo gorgeous on you! Or you're gorgeous on it, not sure which way it goes...lol.

Sanayhs

I apologize, as this isn't a foundation recommendation, but: Clean and Clear products can actually be pretty harsh. There are definitely better drug store brands. It sounds like you're not really trusting it, either, so you might want to look at some other brands.
smiles.gif

VeganChick

I just ordered a bunch of samples for different products from Paula's Choice, so if those turn out half as good as everyone says, I'll switch to that.

I'm actually using the Morning Burst/Glow products, which are probably less harsh than some of their other stuff. What I meant by being afraid was that my nose was suddenly going to be resistant to moisturizer or something.

Btw, why are C+C products harsh or worse than other brands?

stacylynne

I use moisterizer
then smashbox photofinish.
I alternate foundations: mac studio tech w/ blot powder or Laura Mercier oil free foundation w/ oil free trans. powder.

After you apply your foundation. put a little concealer on your problem areas (blemishes, dark circles).
I use mac or MUFE concealer.

Really buff on the powder for a flawless look & spray fix + or charged water after your face is done.
After I spray face I use a Stippiling brush.

In the summer I have oily t-zone & normal on my cheeks. Winter I get very Dry.
You should have 2 different skin regiments
1: spring/summer
2: winter/fall
Good luck

VeganChick

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylynne
You should have 2 different skin regiments
1: spring/summer
2: winter/fall
Good luck

I knew someone would say that...The annoying thing is, I live in upstate NY, so we have 2 "makeup seasons" : fall/winter/spring and summer. I don't especially care about what I look like in the summer. But it's hard to perfect a regimen in the summer before I go away to school in the fall... *sigh*

Thanks the product recs! I always use a buki to buff in my pressed powder. I'm going to buy new brushes and I found one very similar to MAC's stippling brush and I'm super excited.

BTW, what's charged water? (I know the concept of charged water, but not a product...)