face makeup

tattyxheart

i'm a total newbie when it comes to face makeup. i'm good with eye makeup like eyeshadow, paints, ccb, stuff like that. but not when it comes to face makeup. help me out here! what exactly are all these products & what are they used for? foundation, concealer, etc. etc. about 2 years ago i bought studio fix foundation from MAC (at this time my acne wasn't too bad) i hardly ever used it, just once in a while. but my skin did NOT like it. i broke out really bad from then on out. so i had to go through this longggg ass treatment for my acne, i recently just finished & even then, my skin is far from perfect! of course, it's a lot better than before. (thank God)

ok, i'm done rambling. my other question is, what MAC face makeup is good? i want something i can use as a coverup or whatever, 'cause i'd like to use some every once in a while. defenitley not studio fix, i'm done with that shit! haha tips would help a lot though ladies! thank you!
smiles.gif

Vicky88

A list and description of the most common face products in the order I would apply them.

Concealer - Used for covering certain parts of your skin e.g. spots/pimples/blemishes, eye circles, uneven skintone etc. Comes in liquid, cream or stick form.

Foundation - An all over the face product to even out complexion and give a general base for the rest of your make up. Comes in liquid, cream, mousse, stick and powder form.

Powder - Used to mattify your skin (if you are oily) or to give a polished finish to the rest of your face make-up. Comes in loose or pressed form.

Bronzer - Used to make your face/body look more tanned and glowy. Usually comes in powder form but you can buy cream/gel/liquid bronzers too.

Blusher - Used to give colour to your cheeks, a natural glow. Most common forms are powder or cream but you can also get gel blushes and cheek stains.

Beauty powders/highlighters/MSFs - Used to highlight certain parts of your face (cheekbones, nose, browbone usually) or to give your face an all over shimmer. MSFs and beauty powders obviously come in powder form but highlighters can be powders, creams, or sticks.

As for MAC products, personally, I dislike their foundations - they sit on my skin and look very unnatural (unless I buff them like crazy) so I would recommend staying away from MAC foundations. I like their Select Cover-Up concealer, and I have heard good reviews about their Blot Powder. I love MAC's bronzing powder in Golden (I am pale, NW20) and I use their blushes - Peachykeen, Dollymix and Trace Gold are my favourites. I also hope to try their blushcremes. MSFs are amazing things, as you probably know they are released at certain times in the year with certain collections (some coming up this month so definitely get one - or them all!). I also like to use pigments as highlighters, Shimmertime pigment is a nice one.
smiles.gif
Strobe Cream (in the moisturiser section) is also nice for highlighting (I apply this before or just after my foundation and concealer!)

Hope that is helpful. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

BinkysBaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattyxheart
i'm a total newbie when it comes to face makeup. i'm good with eye makeup like eyeshadow, paints, ccb, stuff like that. but not when it comes to face makeup. help me out here! what exactly are all these products & what are they used for? foundation, concealer, etc. etc. about 2 years ago i bought studio fix foundation from MAC (at this time my acne wasn't too bad) i hardly ever used it, just once in a while. but my skin did NOT like it. i broke out really bad from then on out. so i had to go through this longggg ass treatment for my acne, i recently just finished & even then, my skin is far from perfect! of course, it's a lot better than before. (thank God)

ok, i'm done rambling. my other question is, what MAC face makeup is good? i want something i can use as a coverup or whatever, 'cause i'd like to use some every once in a while. defenitley not studio fix, i'm done with that shit! haha tips would help a lot though ladies! thank you!
smiles.gif

Like you, I have had bad luck with Studio Fix. I already have acne-prone skin and each time I used Studio Fix, by the end of the day I had at least 3 pimples and it was a nightmare to get off because of it's creamy consistency. I did not wear foundation for a while and about a year ago, I discovered Double Wear by Estee Lauder. It give medium coverage, it's lightweight, does not cause pimples, and it stays in place. I do like the Studio Touch Up Stick (concealer) because it's super easy to use and the coverage is good (but I have not used any of their concealers). And I couldn't live without Blot Powder because I have oily skin and it helps for touch ups throughout the day.

d_flawless

i use select spf 15 and i have acne-prone skin; i've never had a problem!
i set it with select sheer loose and i think it's fine.
i also have had breakout issues with studio fix, but largely because i wasn't keeping my sponges clean, i'd use them over and over without changing them every other week to keep bacteria away

tattyxheart

thanks! well, it doesn't matter to me if it's MAC, although that would probably be easier since I can go to macy's or whatever. so you use ALL those products? haha DANG. that's a lot!

hyperRealGurl

I have very sensitive skin and MAC SFF, and Hyper Real Fndn has been kind to me. A lot of our memebers use Bare Minerals.... I never used it myself but i hear it it awsome, my sister loves bare minerals. There are a lot of MU brands out there, i say with any MU u have to try it out to see if u like/ or dislike.

Vicky88

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattyxheart
thanks! well, it doesn't matter to me if it's MAC, although that would probably be easier since I can go to macy's or whatever. so you use ALL those products? haha DANG. that's a lot!

No, not all at once! I wouldn't be able to move my face lol.

maxcat

I would get a sample first - and for goodness sakes, whatever you get, if it makes you break out, bring it back to the MAC counter. If you get another brand, make SURE they will take it back with reciept before you buy b/c you've got really sensitive skin.
(I had a Bobbi Brown souffle kind of foundation years ago, I had a full on painful burning zitapoloooza and they WOULD NOT take it back and were really really nasty about the whole thing. Like, 50 clams down the drain. I will never work for/buy from/speak to a company that won't be responsible for their product and take returns on stuff that's clearly causing an adverse effect. Still makes me angry.)

tattyxheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky88
No, not all at once! I wouldn't be able to move my face lol.

so what exactly is okay to wear on a day-to-day basis? just one product, maybe two? haha i have no idea here.

yeah, i would have taken it back except for it took me a couple of months to figure out that it was the MAC makeup. i always washed my face at night, i never picked at my face or anything. then later it just kind of popped in my head..."well, everytime i wear this, my skin goes psycho..." haha so yeah. i guess i'll just have to try another product. thanks girls!