Face Primer Recommendations? All Brands Welcome!

MAChostage

Re: Can anyone recommend me a foundation primer?

Some folks like DHC's Velvet Skin Coat. It's the one I use when I feel I need to use one and I like it, as well.

abbey_08

i really wanted to try smashbox one but i dont think anywhere near me sells it! the philosphy one sounds good! the ysl top secrets is really good because its also a moisteriser and primer and covers pores very well but its a bit expensive for everyday use

JustDivine

The Philosophy one is called The Present, and it is really good, totally transforms your skin and in all honesty makes you feel like not needing/wanting to wear foundation. That is how flawless your skin will look! It is £23 though.....

The MUFE primers (not the HD ones) are also really good...I use this because I don't like the feel of those silicon based ones (hence why I also like the Philosophy). It has different "colours" to fix/neutralise skin issues and is creamy. I absolutely love it, but I don't know the price in £ because I bought mine when I was living in Belgium. I'm sure it's definitely under £20 because it was about 19 euros.

JustDivine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoAddedSugar
Hey, do you find that the Philosophy one really hides the pores more and helps the MU on all day? more then a couple of hours?

Most defnitely. I was in awe of my face when I had this on! I also gave it to my sis-in-law who doesnt wear much makeup and she couldn't thank me enough!

Kiss and Makeup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDivine
Most defnitely. I was in awe of my face when I had this on! I also gave it to my sis-in-law who doesnt wear much makeup and she couldn't thank me enough!

I've got quite a few of my friends in love with it, too. I have uneven skin..my cheeks tend to have a little red in them which I detest. Gotta cover it up so I can brush it back on! I've been using the primer for 3 months, along with Purity face soap (and soon to be the moisturizer, once my samples run out), and I've noticed an improvement. The red isn't quite as red anymore and it's getting smaller.

NoAddedSugar

This is a great thread. I use ScreenFace primer on my clients but it doesn't work on me because I am so oily with giant pores, its a silicone based one although its not a slippery as the Smashbox one.

I used to use Clarins Beauty Flash Balm, which does keep foundation on for most of the day but 1-if you apply it incorrectly it will make your MU cake and 2-it makes my face go a bit red, my skin is sensitive and the BFF is meant to give you a healthy flush/glow...err but I already have a red complexion so don't need extra
tong.gif

From the discussion, I am first going to try The Present and then the MUFE regular primers. I've been using MUFE MV and I like it but oh do my pores love to gobble it up! It would be nice to find an oily girl primer that works so I can use it on clients too. So far I've been lucky in that they've all had normal or dry skin so the product I have works.

I'm always the odd one out
ssad.gif

Kiss and Makeup

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoAddedSugar

From the discussion, I am first going to try The Present and then the MUFE regular primers. I've been using MUFE MV and I like it but oh do my pores love to gobble it up! It would be nice to find an oily girl primer that works so I can use it on clients too. So far I've been lucky in that they've all had normal or dry skin so the product I have works.

I'm always the odd one out
ssad.gif

Philosphy has this product which a friend of mine uses under "The Present". I called it the wrong thing in a previous post, because I'm always at work when I comment and I'm completely forgetful. She swears by it. I have combination skin (more on the normal than oily side) but I'm really tempted to try this.

chocokitty

Has anyone tried Benefit's Dr. Feelgood? I'm looking for a makeup primer too and a girlfriend recommended this.

Kiss and Makeup

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocokitty
Has anyone tried Benefit's Dr. Feelgood? I'm looking for a makeup primer too and a girlfriend recommended this.

I tried it in the store and I didn't like it. It has the consistency of a potted lipbalm, like Burt's Bees, or like pomade. Whatever it was, I didn't want to put it on my face. I didn't really like the texture of it, and I was afraid it'd make my face too oily. The reviews on Sephora's website are mediocre.

sherox

idk about pricing but i use Rimmel's foundation primer I got it for 6 USD I actually prefer it over my MAC prep + prime skin! But I'm kind of turned off to MAC prep + prime because there's so much glitter in it!

~Zoe~

Re: Revlon Beyond Natural Smoothing Primer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilurvemakeup
Has anyone used this product yet? I'm still on a hunt for a good affordable face primer. I've tried Monistat and it broke me out like crazy
ssad.gif
If you've used this Revlon primer can you please share your thoughts and experience?
smiles.gif
I couldn't find any info on my search, the site keeps freezing on me
ssad.gif

Thank you in advance
thmbup.gif

I haven't tried it but if you're looking for affordable you can check out the Rimmel Fix & Perfect Foundation Primer, its $8 for 30 ml at Shoppers' (often on sale for $5)
Its a lot cheaper than this Revlon one...right now its selling for about $17 canadian (25 ml)

lovers_end

Desperate for an amazing primer & foundation

So I've tried a lot of foundations but I can't find one that works with my pale, very oily skin, acne prone skin. I have acne scars that I hate and wish I could get rid of/cover up. I also have a problem with the foundations turning orange/darker on me after a little bit.

I've tried:
MUFE Mat Velvet + in No.15 Alabaster (this one matched my skin color the best but I couldn't get it to go on well, like it wouldn't blend good and it didn't hold up well to my crazy oily skin. Plus I had to use a lot of concealer to cover up what it didn't cover.)
MAC SFF NW15 (was ok but it was too dark for my skin)
Rimmel Lasting Finish in Ivory (this one held up the best on my oily skin, it didn't hold up amazingly but it did better than any other foundation I've tried BUT again it was too dark )
I've tried a lot more but nothing worth mentioning because they all sucked
ssad.gif

I really need to find something that helps cover up my skin's redness because so far no foundation has done a good job at that. I think my skin's redness makes it hard to get a foundation to match my skin. What are some good products that get rid of/cover up redness?

I also need a great primer.
I've tried:
Smashbox Photofinish Light (so far this has worked the best but my skin is still an oily mess)
MAC Prep + Prime (didn't like it, didn't work good)
DERMAdoctor Tease zone (was the 2nd best I've tried)
the Bare Minerals Prime time one (didn't like it at all)
thmbdn.gif

My skin has finally started to clear up thanks to RareMinerals' powder cleanser but I still have really bad acne scars that I don't think I'll be able to get rid of. I really hate my skin and need something that will cover it good without being too heavy and that will hold up to my crazy oily skin....I need a miracle product but I'm starting to think there isn't one.
ssad.gif

Mercurial

Re: Desperate for an amazing primer & foundation

Have you tried mineral foundation? I use Maybelline minerals at the moment and this works brilliantly at adding more coverage where needed without being cakey.

As for primer, I use Smashbox with the SPF and find this suits me. However what skincare routine do you use? Sometimes altering this can help to reduce oil without the need for primers etc.

cetati

I know what you're going through! And believe me it's fixable. My acne cleared up a few years ago but I still had insanely oily skin. While I wasn't able to get to "Normal" skin I was able to make it more manageable.

1) Control your oily skin by using a oil free moisturizer and consider adding a toner (I use Lush Tee Tree Toner). Moisturize enough so that your skin won't produce MORE oil to compensate.
2) Set your foundation with powder. Right now I use MUFE HD but it might not have enough oil control for you at this point. Until I regulated my skin until the way it is now I used MAC Studio Fix Fluid, but I hear MUFE Matte+ is great too. I set with the MUFE HD too but the Blot Powder (while not as finely milled and is a little too cakey/powdery at times) works better as oil control, until you have your oil producing down.
3) Drink lots of water. Avoid spicy and overly greasy foods. Don't have too much caffeine (I allow myself one coffee a week). No eating too many sweets. Eat lots of greens. I swear, what your mom tells you about staying healthy and becoming beautiful from the inside... all absolutely true. It worked for me.
4) Keep using the Smashbox Photofinish Light. It works GREAT for me.
5) Have a normal sleep routine.

Those are all the things I've worked on slowly over the years to fix my skin and while I still have pretty oily skin it's nothing like it was 3 years ago. Hope that helps.

Simply Elegant

I think the MUFE foundation will work for you once you get a better primer. I use a rimmel one and it works well for me.

If you want to use less concealer, maybe try setting with a powder foundation. It'll help with oil plus it'll cover more. Use a powder brush so it's not too heavy if you do decide to do that.

If you want a powder foundation instead of liquid, MUFE's is really good. It controls oil well for me plus it doesn't oxidise and has the best coverage.

Kiss and Makeup

I feel your pain about foundations turning darker/orange on you. I can't wear any of the MUFE ones (which makes me sad) and the only ones I found that worked well for me was NARS Oil Free Foundation. I use this with Philosphy's The Present or Smashbox Photo Finish and I'm good to go.

The foundation's light to medium coverage, but I have to go over my cheeks (which are red) with two coats and I'm good to go. Simply Elegant's suggestion about powder foundation is a good idea. Powder foundation would be thicker than normal powder to set, and you'd have the added bonus of more coverage.

Kiseki

Definitely try the MUFE HD Foundation, either set it with Blot Powder or the MUFE HD Powder.

anshu7

wat u need is a good concealer. use mufe full cover concealer over ur acne scars and blend out the edges. then apply a light foundation. mufe has the best foundations. for primer monistat anti chafing gel is a dupe of smashbox photo finish so u might want to give that a try as well

Latest posts