facial piercings

MACaddict08

I know they aren't a good idea when you're trying to get a job, but I already have a job and I'm thinking about getting my nose pierced. It would be a very tiny diamond stud, but I'm still not sure if it's a good idea. What do you guys think?
smiles.gif

Shimmer

if you ever intend to work in a professional environment, I would advise against it.

If not, hey, enjoy
smiles.gif

d_flawless

of course it's not conventional, but most places are just allowing it because they know that piercings are becoming more widely-accepted...ask a manager if they're accepted and see...

Shimmer

I certainly don't want to argue that point with you, except to say that the acceptance does vary greatly with career, and where you live.
In CA it may be more widely accepted than somewhere perhaps in Backwoodsville OH or something.
smiles.gif

Lalli

I have my nose pierced, and i got accpeted to do my work experience for my Law course. and ive had jobs before, was ok for me

midgetfury74

I have a bull ring nose piercing, but at the same time im a serious engineering student. i say go for it, but know your job setting. I can easily apply to worl in a lab on campus with a prof i know but would not go to a major corporation with it in. JUST BE AWARE! but have FUN!!

IslandGirl77

Every job I've had, had a policy against body peircings. I work for Time Warner cable now, and we are not allowed to have nose rings. I live in Columbia, SC. My other jobs were in Hawaii. I think like Shimmer said, it depends on where you are and the job you have.

pumpkincat210

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmer
I certainly don't want to argue that point with you, except to say that the acceptance does vary greatly with career, and where you live.
In CA it may be more widely accepted than somewhere perhaps in Backwoodsville OH or something.
smiles.gif

It is not accepted very much in Houston, pity because nose piercings can really accent your features.

Pushpa

lalli-you having your nose pierced is vastly more accepted in professional circles as opposed to a caucasian....lol it's true

and i would agree with what shimmer sd clarify first with your employer at present and hey you can always take it out in the future

Lalli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushpa
lalli-you having your nose pierced is vastly more accepted in professional circles as opposed to a caucasian....lol it's true

and i would agree with what shimmer sd clarify first with your employer at present and hey you can always take it out in the future

lol didnt know that. ive had my nose piercing since i was 11

Jennifer Mcfly

check with your employer first. it varies. i worked for the second largest law firm in FL and I had two visible tattoos, my tongue and tragus pierced and they never said anything about it. so i would ask your employer. the most they can say is no!
smiles.gif

Shimmer

Indeed.
smiles.gif

As manager of my former place of employment, I was told not to even interview people with facial piercings...and that was a retail establishment!

glittergoddess27

Yep,.. it really does depend on where you work,.. I work at a consulting firm in Indiana with ties to government and I have my eyebrow, nose, tongue, and my ears (All the way up on one side) and they havent said anything,.. I think they were more bent when I had my hair Neon Anime Red. But then again the compliments I get are usually "I don't usually like facial piercings but yours look nice like that." Mine on my face are all gold,.. my ears are sequentially sized small hoops,..the nose is a tiny diamond in gold,... So they all are uniform in a way,.. not the bigger gage silver stuff,...I did check with my supervisor before doing any of them.

IslandGirl77

You guys are lucky. I had my tongue pierced, and one of my old jobs told me I had to get rid of it. I also have my nose pierced, and so far every job I've had I haven't been able to wear it.

mans_x_ruin

I'm in no way set in my career yet, so I get all my piercings done now while I know I still can...I *do* work with the public, and luckily my work is very lenient on piercings and visible tattoos...

I say get it..You're young, and they come out..

ToxicAllure

Go for it, after all you can wear a retainer stud during work hours if you want.

Piercings really depend on the location and job. For example, I have a friend who works at Starbucks up country and they aren't allowed to have anything above two holes in each ear and you can't wear retainers. However at the Starbucks downtown I see people all the time working with their eyebrow rings in and all sorts of stuff.

Also I know this girl that works at Nordstroms and I know she had her nose pierced as well as two lip piercings on her left or right side, when she started they said that she would have to take them out and wear retainers if she wanted and she did. However by like...her second week working there she had the best sales out of everyone else and people were coming in requesting the girl with the piercings for advice and what not. Needless to say she is allowed to wear her lip rings in now as long as they "match", meaning no colored captive beads or anything.

Ok...end story.

hinna

I have a nose stud. Worked part-time at a large electrical retailer last year. They had policy against facial piercings - may offend customers. I used to take the diamond at the front out but still leave the tube in, so that the hole would not close up. My shifts were never incredibly long, but it had only been pierced for about 2 months (was 16 at the time) and it would otherwise really hurt trying to put it back in!

faifai

Check with your employer first. That way, you won't be out the $50 or whatever if they tell you that you can't have it.

As for places that make you take out piercings AND not let you wear a retainer, I think that's BS! If they want to present a professional appearance, fine, but retainers are basically invisible for certain piercings (nose piercings being one of those, I have a bigger-gauge clear retainer for nights when I want to wear a bigger piece of jewelry the next day. you can't even tell I'm wearing it).