Fake MAC eyeshadows that look almost like real ones

I bought a few MAC eyeshadows a few months from a Ebay seller with around 2000 feedbacks which are almost 100% positive. When I received them I checked them against fakes from online guides and was so sure that they were real, until I decided to depot them today. I've only have MAC palettes and refills so unfortunately I can't compare them to this fake one.

This shadow has the name, shadow type, and even the raised lettering on the bottom (near make-up art cosmetics Toronto).
CIMG5445.jpg

Many people say that fake shadows are thick and comes with an extra compartment that has a mirror and a brush. The height of this one looks pretty much right, and the hinge looks exactly like those that I've seen online.
CIMG5459.jpg

Often on the box of fake shadows, the barcode is printed whilst real ones have a sticker. This fake shadow however, has a barcode sticker too.
CIMG5454.jpg

CIMG5452.jpg

I first realised something was wrong when it was almost impossible to separate the metal pan from the black casing. I used the hair straightener method and had no problems depotting other brands such as Urban Decay. When I used a bit more strength, the pan deformed(!) and the shadow was shattered. Scraping the broken pieces into a jar, I noticed that the bottom of the pan is ridged instead of being smooth! I think it was so hard to get the pan out either because there was too much glue or the glue used was different.

CIMG5447.jpg

CIMG5448.jpg

It should be smooth like this...
CIMG5455.jpg

Apparently another indicator is that the bottom of the fake case has a little raised thing on the bottom whilst the real one is smooth.
CIMG5460.jpg

So if you bought your MAC eyeshadow from somewhere other than a MAC counter or their website, please check the pan!

Hope this helps someone.

ETA: Seems like the seller herself didn't know that they were fakes.

julie150463

Yup - definitely fake.

I only had to see the box - those horrible marks are just a dead give away
thmbdn.gif

Have you contacted the seller to try resolve?

Unfortunately I bought this a few months back, so I don't think the seller will do anything. How did you tell from the box?

Xqueeze_me

If you check the fake Budding Beauty against on of your authentic eyeshadows, the fake is more of a rough crappy cut compared to the smooth finish of authentic eyeshadows.

The box is the first sign that screams fake! Authentic MAC boxes do NOT scratch that easily. I doubt that MAC would package their goods, all thrown in a huge box like this:

FakeMAClot.jpg

(Picture sourced from a wholesale cosmetic website)

That is how your Budding Beauty box get its scratches.

Please check my signature if you need more info on fake eyeshadow packaging.

julie150463

Quote:
Originally Posted by baibeeh.doll
Unfortunately I bought this a few months back, so I don't think the seller will do anything. How did you tell from the box?

X-queeze me is the maestro - have a look at the comparison she did.
The boxes are horrible - MAC is very particular about their packaging and always use the same standard of card - exceptions being some of the LE collections -eg Lure, Moonbathe etc.

I would definitelty contact the seller even though so much time has elapsed - she may not even know they are fakes

red

yes, do contact the seller first, most times things can be resolved amicably, at times they may not be aware the items are fakes.

the inside of the pot is missing the number, and the center dimple, in originals now have the initials of the company that made the mold. Looks like a C with a I on the inside (not sure how long this has been going on).

the fakes are getting to be almost as good as the originals. The ridge on the inside of the metal pan is a definite sign its a fake.

Xqueeze_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by red
the inside of the pot is missing the number, and the center dimple, in originals now have the initials of the company that made the mold. Looks like a C with a I on the inside (not sure how long this has been going on).

I see it as a CH. :S

red

could be a C with an H, my eyesight is not what it use to be .. call it old age
cutey.gif

When talking to the fella from HCT (they make the pots) he mentioned this little thing about the initial of the company that makes the mold. Found this a good thing to know. Not sure how long this has been going on. But I checked older e/s, at least 2 years old, and they have the little logo in the center.

red

Just wanted to add that just because it doesn't have the little number on the inside of the pot and the little logo of the mold maker, does this make an e/s a fake. I have a Rice Paper, purchased at Mac in Soho which doesn't have these caracteristics. Mac has several manufacturing plants and may have been using a different mold.

Xqueeze_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by red
could be a C with an H, my eyesight is not what it use to be .. call it old age
cutey.gif

I wouldn't call it old age. I call it sexy mature!
winks.gif
hehe

Anywho, I checked my screw top e/s and it doesn't have the CH logo in the pot ("MADE IN INDONESIA" in a circle instead) and an A14 Parrot e/s that has the CH in it. Perhaps they have that CH logo when they changed the e/s pots to the flip tops?

red

not sure what the deal is, as my rice paper purchased in 2006 doesn't have the logo of the mold maker or the little number on the inside.

on a separate note, and this makes me really sad
ssad.gif
.. the pots are made in China, in a large manufacturing plant. These folks are paid almost nothing, and they live in dorms etc. Mac wants to save money, as most companies do.
And then, the pots are shipped to North America and assembled with the pans, etc.