Fake/Real Ebay brushes from MAC Formal Black Collection

darling

Hello everyone :)

I've been e-stalking this seller for awhile now =X (SF2HB on Ebay)
She sells brushes by sets, and most of them seem to be from the Formal Black collection.. From what I gathered, she has a bunch of them and takes them out of their pouches and sells them as one big LE set.

Photos from the set I purchased from her:
brushesallcq1.jpg

brush1uk3.jpg

brush2kc6.jpg

brush2closezb6.jpg

From my personal examination, the lettering and spacing seems right.. However the larger face brushes do have a distinct not-what-I'd-call-pleasant smell to them.. I don't own any large MAC brushes yet so I don't know if it's supposed to or not. The handles on the brushes are slightly shorter as they are supposed to be SE, and are a shiny black color with no sparkles in it.

I was wondering if you guys would be able to tell whether they're real or fake from the photos? I've read the guide to fake brushes and found it helpful, however I was wondering it people have started manufacturing/selling fake SE brushes as well. I'll take photos of them side by side with my own MAC brushes soon, they were just not so clean at the time =[

I haven't washed or used these yet, so if they do turn out to be fake I'll be asking the seller for a full refund as she advertised them as authentic.

I first noticed the seller way back in early December and even messaged her asking how she would have a set, as MAC doesn't sell brushes by sets.. She told me that it's disassembled from Formal Black.

Just wondering if it's too good to be true as I just bid & won this 13 piece set (missing the 129 I think) for $132.

rockin

Re: Fake/Real Ebay SE brushes? Photos inside

However the larger face brushes do have a distinct not-what-I'd-call-pleasant smell to them.

I bought a couple of fake brushes from seller puppetjg, and they had a very distinct smell of paint or laquer to the handles. Could that describe what you are smelling?

MiCHiE

I don't think anyone has faked any SE brushes. I could be wrong about that, but these look real.

imnotshelley

I own the 168, 187, 190, 217, & 194 from this collection. Can't remember which "set" it was called. I just put my brushes up to the picture and they look 100% authentic to me! The colors of the fibers match all of mine. The type is dead-on and I'm a designer, hehe! I can't comment on the smell though, as mine have been used and washed a thousand times and have no scent, at least not anymore!

tripwirechick

I own all those brushes, bought from a MAC counter when Formal Black was released. Mine look exactly the same. And I bought a full size brush today from the counter and the handle smells like paint. So I'm gonna say real!
smiles.gif

jdepp_84

Yep, I bought 2 sets from this collection as well and they look real to me
smiles.gif
But then again, its funny how she has so many of them?
th_dunno.gif