Fakes?

hooked*on*mac

Hi all, this is my second post and I hope that I am posting in the right section....

after reading all the threads in this section I am sure that it is not new to you all, lol but here it goes again.....

so here is my dilemma,
I recently purchased several pigments from the MAC Pro store and I added them to the collection but since reading about fakes I had doubt in my mind so I had to compare and try to work out "how to spot a fake" I must admit I have purchased pigments from eBay sellers and I got bitten by one seller in particular thank fully it was not to big a loss, any how I started to compare my latest pigments to the ones in the collection and found that I had fakes (going by the info that I have read). I found the main factor that gave it away was the MAC logo printing on the box is a lot thicker and "pigment" was located in a different position.

my problem is, there are so many inconsistencies in all of the printing on the 20 jars themselves that I just purchased from the pro store that is just so totally confusing and contradictory - so if MAC themselves are selling pigments with so many differences how can you really tell the difference?

Also could it be possible that people are taking fake pigment jars back to the MAC store and MAC is re filling those jars and recirculating them?
hmm.gif

Thank you and any help would be greatly appreciated

panda0410

The inconsistencies on the authentic MAC jars are incredibly minor and not easily visible, and really its fakes that show the major flaws such as misspelling, boxes are a huge factor for fakes and the primary indicators are actually found in the print on the box, and the stickers on the bottoms of jars is also important. For the most part the printing on authentic MAC jars IS actually fairly consistent, so much so that it would be hard to make a huge deal of when its easier to see spelling mistakes, stickers in the wrong spot and obvious faults such as numbered only pigments with no names.

To my knowledge MAC does not refill pigments, however, there have been questions as to whether or not fakers are buying EMPTY pigment jars readily available from MAC and filling THEM with fake pigment for sale. It is a dinstinct possibility but I imagine not overly likely given the vast number of jars they would actually need. I would be more inclined to focus my concern over the items you DIDNT buy from MAC and scrutinising those instead
smiles.gif

hooked*on*mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda0410
The inconsistencies on the authentic MAC jars are incredibly minor and not easily visible, and really its fakes that show the major flaws such as misspelling, boxes are a huge factor for fakes and the primary indicators are actually found in the print on the box, and the stickers on the bottoms of jars is also important. For the most part the printing on authentic MAC jars IS actually fairly consistent, so much so that it would be hard to make a huge deal of when its easier to see spelling mistakes, stickers in the wrong spot and obvious faults such as numbered only pigments with no names.

To my knowledge MAC does not refill pigments, however, there have been questions as to whether or not fakers are buying EMPTY pigment jars readily available from MAC and filling THEM with fake pigment for sale. It is a dinstinct possibility but I imagine not overly likely given the vast number of jars they would actually need. I would be more inclined to focus my concern over the items you DIDNT buy from MAC and scrutinising those instead
smiles.gif

Thanks Panda0410, I see your point i guess i didnt see it from that veiw. and dont get me wrong i adore mac products infact i am hooked big time
thmbup.gif
the hardest thing is how do you compare the authentic to a suspect fake if the authentic jars have so many differences - its just a shame that people out there choose to sell fakes. MAC need a security seal or something on these jars to stop all of this confusion. well i guess when in doubt throw them out !

thanks again

panda0410

check your inner lids - the authentic ones will have ColtainerIII and a 4 digit number on it - fakes usually have nothing, the plastc lid is blank
smiles.gif
this will help you work out which are real and fake. dont use the fakes - I was talking to someone the other day who had mentioned that a particular person known to her had bougt one of the fakes and used it and it burned her eyes causing some damage to the eye itself!

Xqueeze_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda0410
check your inner lids - the authentic ones will have ColtainerIII and a 4 digit number on it - fakes usually have nothing, the plastc lid is blank
smiles.gif
this will help you work out which are real and fake. dont use the fakes

Here is a picture of the Pink Vivid MAC Pigment comparison between counterfeit and authentic inner lids.

Check the INSIDE bottom and OUTSIDE base of the jar as well:
  • On the INSIDE bottom of the jar, it should have a 1-digit number and 4-digit number directly across each other.
  • On the OUTSIDE base of the jar, it should have a 2-digit number and the word, Colt-ainer III, directly accross each other.
Marine Ultra is the only authentic MAC Pigment in this picture. I purposely inverted the colours so the raised letters and numbers can be seen more easily. This is the original picture.

Also, compare the thickness of the base of jars. Counterfeit jars are always thicker on the base than authentic MAC Pigment jars. This picture shows the difference and comparison.

chipple86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xqueeze_me
Here is a picture of the Pink Vivid MAC Pigment comparison between counterfeit and authentic inner lids.

• On the INSIDE bottom of the jar, it should have a 1-digit number and 4-digit number directly across each other.
  • On the OUTSIDE base of the jar, it should have a 2-digit number and the word, Colt-ainer III, directly accross each other.
Marine Ultra is the only authentic MAC Pigment in this picture. I purposely inverted the colours so the raised letters and numbers can be seen more easily. This is the original picture.

Also, compare the thickness of the base of jars. Counterfeit jars are always thicker on the base than authentic MAC Pigment jars. This picture shows the difference and comparison.

Hi..thanks very much.
I am new to pigments and just started experimenting with MAC pigments, however, it seems i have bought several fake mac pigments off e-bay. the sellers listed and claim that it is authentic.

the box and the jar has color number and the jar has color name. It is a really gud fake, i have to examine it closely and realize that they are fakes. i send them message asking about this and how can they prove it to be authentic, if they can't, i need to report them. any idea how to face them.
these are the sellers that MAYBE selling me FAKE MAC PIGMENTS:
kosmetique_boutiques
karlsundesigns
ebymom
lovetheskinyouarein

i am so upset about this
ssad.gif

i can post the pics, if u'd like to view them

Xqueeze_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipple86
Hi..thanks very much.
I am new to pigments and just started experimenting with MAC pigments, however, it seems i have bought several fake mac pigments off e-bay. the sellers listed and claim that it is authentic.

the box and the jar has color number and the jar has color name. It is a really gud fake, i have to examine it closely and realize that they are fakes. i send them message asking about this and how can they prove it to be authentic, if they can't, i need to report them. any idea how to face them.
these are the sellers that MAYBE selling me FAKE MAC PIGMENTS:
kosmetique_boutiques
karlsundesigns
ebymom
lovetheskinyouarein

i am so upset about this
ssad.gif

i can post the pics, if u'd like to view them

Sorry to hear that you've purchased fake pigments! Yes, please do post some pictures for us to look at. kosmetique_boutiques and ebymom are known for selling fake MAC unfortunately. Not sure about the other 2. By the way, if the sellers inform you that they get their MAC from their 'suppliers' or 'wholesalers', tell the sellers that MAC does NOT do wholesale for onward resale.
angry.gif

If you need a closer and better comparison for the most recent updated fake pigments, go here: http://specktra.net/f257/fake-deep-p...nalysis-94038/

LC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xqueeze_me

wowza, great info! I'm glad I don't buy from online, but If I ever do in the future, I'll know what to look for. Great job finding those differences
smiles.gif

1165Cheryl

Quote:
my problem is, there are so many inconsistencies in all of the printing on the 20 jars themselves that I just purchased from the pro store that is just so totally confusing and contradictory - so if MAC themselves are selling pigments with so many differences how can you really tell the difference?

What you said is very true and if you buy MAC PRO or MAC cosmetics pigments on a regular basis you will see differances. On each order I place I mark on my packing slip any small and sometimes large changes or mfg errors. Like circal Plums pigments that came out with a batch where the inner lids were flat & void of writing. My last order I got a silver fog that had a much shinier lid then normal & it came direct from MP. There are small changes between pigments, glitters, metals, mattes, L.E.'s ect. If a person is carefully comparing many real jars you will see that are not all 100% the same. Most will show small things but every once in awhile something semi large will pop up.

We shouldnt use a jar from 8 years ago to a jar that was made in 2009. If comparing 2 colors of the same it's best to do with the same batch if possible. Knowing the old details along with the current is the best way to go. If a person isnt buying them often it can be hard to learn the current changes or MACS mistakes.

If you dont know it's best to ask like you did. Ask people like Panda that knows her stuff well (especially the older ones) and someone like me that gets in direct orders on a regular basis and keeps track.

thats my thought for the day, lol

Novavelle

so glad that you all are so helpful, luckily I haven't tried to purchase any pigment's off of ebay or anywhere else for that matter... but it bothers me to no end to see people selling fake's and you know that they know they're fake yet it doesn't bother them to screw people over.... make's you wanna go on a world wide mission to report all the seller's who sell fake mac product's but lord know's that would take a life time huh?

marusia

Let me just add one thing really quick...the insides and bottoms of my fake jars were the same as the authentic. The only and I stress ONLY reason I figured it out was because the jar said Made in Canada and the box said Made in USA...and that was only on a few of them. The others were dead on. This is coming from someone who's been wearing MAC since 2002...I couldn't tell what was real and what was fake, so I just sent it all back. If you don't have a reliable source, then I can't stress enough to just buy from MAC or CCO's. (I've also been recommending 1165Cheryl, although I think she just sells pigment samples).

Latest posts