Favorite urban beauty supply store products

she

to define urban is going to usually entail an establishment that hands you a black bag with no logo in which to carry your purchase
cutey.gif
we can include sally beauty supply as well because i like that place and don't want to double thread- so specifically things you have not found at a drugstore but only at urban beauty supply stores or sally's
smiles.gif

i personally like sinful colors beauty items- i've picked up a couple of staple blushes from their line as well a few glosses and lipsticks.

what brands do you usually drift to? what are your top picks?

HeavenLeiBlu

As I said in the Drugstore favorites thread...

I also am a fan of Sinful Colors polishes ( but they also carry them in CVS, and my local Walgreens carries an extended line)

NK HD shadows

Absolute Brow pencils

And a few Wild and Crazy eyeshadows

NYX brush on lipglosses, colored mascara, and little pigment vials... ( for some reason, these items aren't carried in Ulta)

she

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenLeiBlu
As I said in the Drugstore favorites thread...

I also am a fan of Sinful Colors polishes ( but they also carry them in CVS, and my local Walgreens carries an extended line)

NK HD shadows

Absolute Brow pencils

And a few Wild and Crazy eyeshadows

NYX brush on lipglosses, colored mascara, and little pigment vials... ( for some reason, these items aren't carried in Ulta)

i am meaning things you cannot find at a drugstore, will revise.

HeavenLeiBlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by she
i am meaning things you cannot find at a drugstore, will revise.

I know what you meant, I'm just giving a warning that *I'm* repeating what I said in the drugstore thread, because the items I mentioned in it weren't considered prestige items nor availbale in drugstores, but I felt that they deserved mention.

she

Quote:
I know what you meant, I'm just giving a warning that *I'm* repeating what I said in the drugstore thread, because the items I mentioned in it weren't considered prestige items nor availbale in drugstores, but I felt that they deserved mention.

ok! i will be on the prowl for the absolute brow pencils, haven't seen them yet.

i am wondering if anyone has any recommendations from the kleancolor lines? or experience with ruby kisses products? it's hard to find information online for some of these brands.
photo swatches would be nice too my friends!
th_wink3.gif
in case anyone feels so kind.

HeavenLeiBlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by she
ok! i will be on the prowl for the absolute brow pencils, haven't seen them yet.

i am wondering if anyone has any recommendations from the kleancolor lines? or experience with ruby kisses products? it's hard to find information online for some of these brands.
photo swatches would be nice too my friends!
th_wink3.gif
in case anyone feels so kind.

Oh, as an aside... Sinful and Wild & Crazy are the same brand... as are Absolute, NK, and Nicka K cosmetics.

I haven't ever used any Ruby Kisses products, but I think that Jamie of the ruralbeauty blog gave their mascara a positive review, and I know she had swatches. Also, MrsPackman ( that's her username here and on youtube) uses ttheir pencils for her brows... I'm curious about their color products too, though.

she

Quote:
Oh, as an aside... Sinful and Wild & Crazy are the same brand... as are Absolute, NK, and Nicka K cosmetics.

I haven't ever used any Ruby Kisses products, but I think that Jamie of the ruralbeauty blog gave their mascara a positive review, and I know she had swatches. Also, MrsPackman ( that's her username here and on youtube) uses ttheir pencils for her brows... I'm curious about their color products too, though.

i only recently discovered wild & crazy. i picked up one of their polishes, fashion colony (pretty similar to opi's teal the cows come home), and the wear wasn't bad.

i haven't seen the nicka product lines you've mentioned! i wonder what the shadow trios are like, they look like nice combos on the website.

sss215

Quote:

I love Sinful and NYX. Those are the main ones I pick up in the beauty supply. Are Sinful and Wild and crazy the same brand, or made by the same company? Either way, I did not know they were affiliated. I choose Sinful over Wild and Crazy because the packaging is way better. Sinful is the better product. Sinful's Carnal lipgloss is my HG product with them. They had a pretty brown called Fudge Love and it was awesome as well.

NYX has been a favorite of mine for years. Like over 10 years. They have a huge online following. I was wearing Sinful in high school in the 90's.

One thing about beauty supply stock you have to watch for is that some of the products can be old. I have seen lip glosses that have separated and have turned green still being sold. I have purchased .99 lipstick that was dry and went straight to the trash once opened. Right now I have a place where their NYX supply is on point! I am going to do my next Sinful haul from Cherry Culture or Sinfulcolors.com, whoever has the best deal.

Smf16

I really love the NK eyeshadows and Sinful colors nail polishes! However, I haven't tried any of the Sinful colors makeup...don't know why. I will have to try it out soon. Also love any NYX I can find! Mostly the lipglosses or eyeliners is what I find at my BS.

@she I recently picked up some Ruby Kisses cream shadow sticks! They are really good! They remind me of the NYX Jumbo eyeshadow sticks. They are called XPress Liner and Shadow. I picked up a silver, light gold, golden olive (love this one!) and a light blue. They do actually have names (sorry can't remember now)..HTH

sss215

I think my spot sells ruby kisses. will have to check that out. beauty supply brands are the reason why i don't pay much for eye and lip pencils. sometimes i will go high end, but most of the time, the 1.00 pencils work fine.

HeavenLeiBlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by sss215
I love Sinful and NYX. Those are the main ones I pick up in the beauty supply. Are Sinful and Wild and crazy the same brand, or made by the same company? Either way, I did not know they were affiliated. I choose Sinful over Wild and Crazy because the packaging is way better. Sinful is the better product. Sinful's Carnal lipgloss is my HG product with them. They had a pretty brown called Fudge Love and it was awesome as well.

Yes... that's more accurate... made by the same company... You used to be able to get both brands from the sinfulcolors website... but now they're revamping it, so I don't know if that'll be an option in the future. I agree about the packaging bit, W&C's packgaging is MAD CHEAP, lmao

reesesilverstar

I like the absolute brow pencils also. I just discovered NK HD shadows (how do you get the matte ones to stay on your lids?). The colors are pretty. And Wild n Crazy eyeshadows aren't bad with a sticky base underneath.

I've tried Ruby kisses and Color on (?) lipsticks - they are HORRIBLE! Save your money.

Since the drugstores by me don't carry them, I depend on BS stores for Black Radiance blushes and Black opal foundation.

she

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smf16
I really love the NK eyeshadows and Sinful colors nail polishes! However, I haven't tried any of the Sinful colors makeup...don't know why. I will have to try it out soon. Also love any NYX I can find! Mostly the lipglosses or eyeliners is what I find at my BS.

@she I recently picked up some Ruby Kisses cream shadow sticks! They are really good! They remind me of the NYX Jumbo eyeshadow sticks. They are called XPress Liner and Shadow. I picked up a silver, light gold, golden olive (love this one!) and a light blue. They do actually have names (sorry can't remember now)..HTH

thanks! i am going to be traveling throughout the Washington DC metro area and am going to be on the prowl for stores with diverse offerings. i will def be putting the ruby kisses cream shadow sticks on my list. the golden olive and silver sound great! i have seen their powder compacts and may take a gamble and pick one of those up as well.

she

Quote:
Originally Posted by sss215

NYX has been a favorite of mine for years. Like over 10 years. They have a huge online following. I was wearing Sinful in high school in the 90's.

One thing about beauty supply stock you have to watch for is that some of the products can be old. I have seen lip glosses that have separated and have turned green still being sold. I have purchased .99 lipstick that was dry and went straight to the trash once opened. Right now I have a place where their NYX supply is on point! I am going to do my next Sinful haul from Cherry Culture or Sinfulcolors.com, whoever has the best deal.

i needed a bright red lipstick and gloss for a party and picked up sinful's vixen lipstick and golden red gloss and have added them to my daily makeup bag. i am looking to pick up some more this weekend as well. the lipstick is a bit glossy but had a nice wear and the gloss (at least the one i chose) has a nice cherry smell.

BadBadGirl

I always browse the racks to see what NYX items are for sale. Most of the time their prices can't be beat compared to the main site and even Cherry Culture.com. I haven't tried any other MU brands.

For years I bought those .99 clear lipglosses, the ones with the fruit on the squeeze tube. They were like MAC lipglass for a buck sticky and super shiny. I bought them all the time!

Face2Mac

I like Ruby Kisses nailpolish. I believe one of them is HTF blue np item on the nailpolish boards and people were going crazy for it last year.

I like Sinful Colors lipgloss. The one that was HG for me many years was Sandstone.

I like their eyeshadows, too and they are easier to depot than the Wild and Crazy one which were a pain to depot and most cracked on me.

NK is alright but something is just off with it to me. They duos mineral e/s, I think are great colors and matte bright colors but unless you have a sticky base a no-go. It won't stay on for me. I can't do too much sticky-sticky bases like NYX because of oily lids leading to creasing.

HeavenLeiBlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smf16
I recently picked up some Ruby Kisses cream shadow sticks! They are really good! They remind me of the NYX Jumbo eyeshadow sticks. They are called XPress Liner and Shadow. I picked up a silver, light gold, golden olive (love this one!) and a light blue. They do actually have names (sorry can't remember now)..HTH

you know what? I gotta stop fooling around with y'all... ( I'm blaming YOU, she! LOL) I copped one of these today... the green one called Midori Sour... I'll report back later.

I also bought a Nicka K Blush duo a while back... I swatched it but today was the first time I wore it. It's called Ruby Glow... a pink tinged red with a complimentary highlight... I can't speak to the staying power because I was sweating like I stole something once I got outside, so I just took a wipe and removed it before I could risk being splotchy... however, it applied smoothly and vibrantly, and the colors are pretty.

blazeno.8

I really go for Sinful nail colors and there are some things that I enjoy from NYX (like the shadows) but that's about it.

she

Quote:
you know what? I gotta stop fooling around with y'all... ( I'm blaming YOU, she! LOL) I copped one of these today... the green one called Midori Sour... I'll report back later.

I also bought a Nicka K Blush duo a while back... I swatched it but today was the first time I wore it. It's called Ruby Glow... a pink tinged red with a complimentary highlight... I can't speak to the staying power because I was sweating like I stole something once I got outside, so I just took a wipe and removed it before I could risk being splotchy... however, it applied smoothly and vibrantly, and the colors are pretty.

lol! but HeavenLeiBlu you encouraged me- I've been learning from YOU
yes.gif

and you were with me in spirit as my mental coach when i snagged the following:

2 sinful color blushes- sinful dust (golden peach) and contagious dust (almost a brick red)
2 sinful color ls- cherry blossom (deep pink) and confetti (light gold- it's too light for me and i have to mix it with siss)
2 sinful color lg's- champagne (close in color to confetti) and creamsicle cream (sparkly candy pink)
1 ruby kisses lg- cotton candy (light pink with lots of glitter)
1 sinful colors mascara- purple, but does not look purple at all, more like a dusty brown with a tinge of purple. i am going to use it on my brows for when i color my hair or on my lower lashes.

based on sss215's recommendation on BSS eye and lip liners i picked up a ruby kisses lipliner in brown, i lost my MAC chestnut and it's working as a dupe so far.

i am mustering the strength to hit up some of my other local BSS's with bigger selections so i can get some of the other brands you ladies have mentioned.

Latest posts