Fenty Beauty by Rihanna

Cake Face

I absolutely despise anything that's celebrity marketed because I feel it's a slap in the face to true people in the industry that have worked for decades on their craft and still don't get the opportunities and recognition they deserve. However I also feel that the celebrity push whether it's Rihanna, Beyonce, etc. is honestly the only way national exposure will be granted for WOC so it puts you in a hard position because the lack of support is why we don't get the exposure in the first place.

So it's really a catch 22 but I personally haven't bought anything from Fenty beauty and will not purchase anything just because Rihanna is the face. Just like with any product I have to love it and I haven't loved anything from her line yet but I have decided to go get matched for the foundation and see if there is one for me since YSL is the only brand that matches me perfectly. So I'm curious to see if I have a match in Fenty.

I use to feel the same way about celebrity beauty brands until Kat Von D came along and changed the perception of how I'd been viewing them. With some celebs I can say..well yeah she's beautiful and glam or whatever..I can see why she went the makeup route. But imo Kat Von D did not really fall in that category, and I literally asked "Why?" when I heard she was releasing a line. I never thought in 100 years I'd actually find products I LOVED from her brand..I try to keep an open mind about these things now. Just because their celebrity has privileges it doesn't mean they can't serve quality.

LV2EVOLVE

I love the holiday collection. But,
I think the eyeliner situation isn't anything unique. It has just never been marketed that way from what I've seen.
I picked up the palette, the orchid lipstick with matching gloss, the peach lipstick with matching gloss, the darkest gloss and the nude liner. Those are my essential picks.

Last edited:

Shars

So I went got matched and I have a match!

I was very surprised and I had my YSL foundation with me to compare and to give the associate some guidance I also didn't wear any foundation because I wanted to test it out and I must say I love it! I was out in the sun and it did not melt off or streak nor did it transfer and since I have combo dry skin, I do not need the primer. Of course they were sold out of my shade but they do have it on line so I've ordered it.

I'll give them credit they really did hit the mark with the foundations. Also yes the foundation does oxidize however if it turns a different color then you have the wrong shade. When the foundation oxidized on me it still looked just like my skin but I could tell that the foundation had settled if that makes sense. Oxidization is also more apparent if you don't use the primer but the foundation stays true to form for me without it and gives good longevity.

What is your YSL shade again? I feel like you mentioned it before and we were the same shade. I still cannot decide which Fenty Beauty shade I am and won't be able to test until I'm stateside in a few weeks.

shontay07108

So I ended up getting more than just the blackened green liner (lol). I got the nude color liner too because it seems interesting and I really want to try the gloss formula so I got gal on the moon. I was thinking of getting a lipstick, but I have enough now and none of the colors call to me. I can try the gloss with something I already have. Can't wait to get my stuff.

Cake Face

I didn't grab any of the lipsticks because they just reminded me of shimmer balms, not as pigmented as I hoped. The eyeliners are beautiful and the lip glosses are the star of the collection in my opinion. They are much more pigmented than the lipsticks which I found interesting. The palette wasn't my cup of tea. It was very pigmented but glittery so left it.

Last edited:

Jayjayy

I absolutely despise anything that's celebrity marketed because I feel it's a slap in the face to true people in the industry that have worked for decades on their craft and still don't get the opportunities and recognition they deserve. However I also feel that the celebrity push whether it's Rihanna, Beyonce, etc. is honestly the only way national exposure will be granted for WOC so it puts you in a hard position because the lack of support is why we don't get the exposure in the first place.

So it's really a catch 22 but I personally haven't bought anything from Fenty beauty and will not purchase anything just because Rihanna is the face. Just like with any product I have to love it and I haven't loved anything from her line yet but I have decided to go get matched for the foundation and see if there is one for me since YSL is the only brand that matches me perfectly. So I'm curious to see if I have a match in Fenty.
Very good points! I think I'll get shade matched as well, and wait until I truly want something from the collection to buy it.

Pictures of the holiday collection has been reminding me of something and I finally remembered what..the Smashbox holiday palette from 2014!

IMG_0130.PNG

BeautyFan55

I ended up with way more than I though I would. I wanted just the palette and the 2 purple glosses. But I got the darkest lipstick, the peach gloss and the blue and green liners as well.

BrittLuvsMakeup

Although I initially waffled between not getting anything from the collection and getting some of the lip products, I ended up getting all of the Eclipse 2-in-1 Glitter Release Eyeliners. I was interested in some of the lip products (particularly the Plutonic Relationship and Gravity lip combo Rihanna wore to her launch in Madrid), however, I decided not to get any because I prefer matte lipsticks and I generally don't wear glittery glosses often (I feel like I wouldn't use them much). I've heard that the eyeshadow palette looks better in person, however, I'm not really drawn to it so I probably won't be getting it. To be honest, I'm kind of glad there's not much I want from this collection. I'm already overwhelmed by all of the products that I want from the permanent collection so I didn't want to want everything from this limited edition collection too, lol.

Last edited:

shontay07108

I feel silly for not realizing that the holiday collection would also be in stores on the day of release. Well, I went to 2 Sephora's in the city today and actually bought more items and looked over the ones I bought. I ended up with all the glosses and they are gorgeous on the lips. Gal on the Moon is the one I ordered and I'm so glad I did. It's hard to call a favorite, but I admit I bought the darkest one because there were only two left and it seemed so damn popular. It's my least fave of them all just because I prefer lighter colors on me, but it is a keeper. The lipsticks were underwhelming. I considered them just to pair with the lip glosses, but it's not worth it. The eyeliner are worrying, though because I ordered the blackened green and when I swatched it all I could see was black. The nude liner, which I also ordered, didn't do much for me either. It was flat and I couldn't see the glitter. Here's hoping they'll look better on the lids. The palette is a total bust to me. I wasn't compelled to swatch more than two colors.

Icecaramellatte

I loved the glosses too. I liked the lipsticks too. I will admit that neither looked like much until I sought out some better lighting, some spotlight lighting on a sign of all things. Everything just popped and I could see the sparkle and iridescence in the shades. I did not swatch the eyeshadows figuring I would love them since I love shimmer. I checked the app and everything was in stock so I figured since I got a big order in yesterday that I need to play with, I can just order and get beats. But now I'm waiting for a F&F code. I think I have a lead on one so I'm going to wait a bit. Hope what I want doesn't sell out in the meantime.

Haven

I plan to swatch everything before making any decisions including whether to skip or not.

fur4elise

Reminds me of "play" makeup for kids or something

LOL! I kinda snorted when I read this…but it's a true observation. It's def appealing to a younger customer base. I have learned everything is not for everyone. ;)

Also, with my makeup wardrobe dekrappifying & re-building over the past couple years, I am being far more particular and selective with what I purchase. Thank you Marie Kondo method…and too many lovely ladies, including you, here with super refined taste.
:flowers:

LV2EVOLVE

I'm trying really hard not to purchase the pink lipstick, pink gloss and two dark liners. I stuck to what I hope to finish, especially since the declutter. I'm also trying to not buy backups of cosmetics.

I'm hoping by next year I can scale down everything I own. Having the fires over here made it extremely difficult to pack. It made me better understand the essentials and accept that everything else might be lost.

fur4elise

I'm trying really hard not to purchase the pink lipstick, pink gloss and two dark liners. I stuck to what I hope to finish, especially since the declutter. I'm also trying to not buy backups of cosmetics.
I'm hoping by next year I can scale down everything I own. Having the fires over here made it extremely difficult to pack. It made me better understand the essentials and accept that everything else might be lost.

​ohoh! I do hope you are safe & sound! The hurricanes & wildfires have certainly made me all the more aware & thankful for my life situations. Please be well & take good care!

awickedshape

LOL! I kinda snorted when I read this…but it's a true observation. It's def appealing to a younger customer base. I have learned everything is not for everyone. ;)

Also, with my makeup wardrobe dekrappifying & re-building over the past couple years, I am being far more particular and selective with what I purchase. Thank you Marie Kondo method…and too many lovely ladies, including you, here with super refined taste.
:flowers:

It's a learning experience! And sometimes my desires or interests change as well

awickedshape

Oh! It's terrible. Do keep safe.

Latest posts