Finishing/Setting Powder

kanne

My Max Factor finishing powder is coming to its end and I was thinking about trying a new brand, but I'm not sure what. For reference I use Clinique Even Better Foundation, which I think is about a MAC NW15-20. I was considering purchasing MAC P+P Transparent Finishing powder, but I was researching it and read that because it's transparent it can give a white cast in photos.

MAC powders are considerably cheaper than Becca or Laura Mercier (which retail for about $60-$70 here), so I was hoping to go with MAC, but what about their other powders (the tinted ones). Do they turn white in photos? Which colour would be the best option?

LC

for all of my photoshoots, i use the mineralize skinfinish naturals as a setting powder. They don't cast the white glow.

But studio fix powders do cast the white glow, so don't go with that one.

kanne

I considered the MSFN's but I'm after a loose powder. I don't mind getting a coloured one, I just don't know which colour I'd be, and have no opportunity to test. =/

Edited to say, do you think the MSFN's are a better choice than a loose powder? Do you just use a fluffy face brush to apply? I don't really need coverage or SPF, just to set my foundation.

marquise

I used to prefer loose powders but have been converted to MSFN recently and find it great as a setting powder.

I'm NW15-NW20 too and use Light Medium. I usually use it with a MAC 182 (or a loose powder brush)

kanne

Mm, you may have convinced me to give it a go, since I'm to the point where I have to use my pressed powder as face powder cause I'm not doing an order till peacocky finally comes out here. Last question, are the naturals shimmery like a normal MSF? I prefer my base to be natural and then add shimmer etc.

Chrystia

The mineral skin finishes natural are not shimmery at all. They have a way of making skin look healthy and radiant without shimmer. When I use these as a setting powder, I like to use a 109 or 182 brush. I like to roll the edge of the brush and press the product onto the skin rather than dusting it on. Especially on the t-zone area.

As for prep and prime transparent powder. I typically don't use it for photoshoots, however for a daily powder. It is a wonderful product. I love how it makes the skin feel and look.

LC

years ago I used the select sheer loose powders for shoots, but found the mineralize skinfinishes to be 100 times better. it really gives a beautiful natural finish and doesnt look powdery at all. you can apply with a 187 or really any powder or blush brush works

LC

not to mention loose powders are unnecessarily messy and not as easy to throw in your purse :)

Latest posts