First FOTD from someone who can count the no. of times she's worn eyeshadow on 1 hand

~Crystal~

Hello!

I'm a bit nervous about posting up anything on here.. just because everyone who posts looks so great and I'm well... the title says it all =\
I guess it's mainly because my parents seriously disapprove of me wearing make up on a day to day basis. Which is why the only time I've ever worn it is for formals (prom) and stuff.

The only MAC eyeshadow I own is Aquadisiac- my friends got it for me for Christmas, and I have NEVER worn it- or any colour like it.. before.

So.. here it is. My eye instead of face... since I didn't do anything else to the rest of my face.

Please give me some advice and help me to improve!
smiles.gif

ecd2a1fc.jpg

Edit: Redid it with some more photos, and tried to as according to advice!

As I only did half my face... This one is mainly for comparison. Please ignore the vaguely empty expression there.. -_-
eca263fb.jpg

Just that half of my face!
eca2691d.jpg

Annnd managed a closed-eye shot. This one is best for showing what areas I need help in I think..
eca26921.jpg

greengrin.gif

DaizyDeath

i wish you had a closed eye shot so i could see better
smiles.gif

maybe you can compromise with your parents and wear just nuetral shades like shroom, shimmertime pigment stuff like that on your eyes with just a bit of mascara i mean thats nothing serious it just looks like a little bit of shimmer on your eyes but thats up to you and your parents.

good luck hun and nice job!!!

maxcat

I really like it, it's nice and soft... and I like how you used the two colors! Keep posting!

theleopardcake

wow you have such a round pretty eye! i think that it, or they rather(assuming you have 2 eyes! lol), would look amazing if you curled the lashes a bit and applied some mascara :)

~Crystal~

lol yes i have two eyes
th_wink3.gif

Thank you all for commenting!
My camera died as I was trying to take another picture (low battery), so that I had to hurry up and load this one onto the comp!

Shimmertime happens to be one of the few pigments (got it as a sample) that I own, and I love it to bits! But I don't know how to wear it or what to wear it with =\

Should I be putting the eyeshadow a bit... I don't really know how to say this. Higher up? on the lid?

I'm going to be going out to tutor a girl in a little while too- honest opinions please- Do I look like a clown and need to take it off beforehand so I won't get laughed at?
lol.gif

BlahWah

I think it looks beautiful! Simple, yet striking, definitely not clown-like. What two colours are those, btw?

I hope you keep experimenting and posting! =)

~Crystal~

Thank you!

That is Aquadisiac, and also a pink with silver glittery bits (like lustre eyeshadows) from Kryolan.
I read somewhere on here that Aquadisiac went well with Pink Venus, which I haven't got, so I tried to use something that I thought would be similar
greengrin.gif

angelica

This may sound crazy but I dont think you need to do anything else. The way that you made the colors look so soft is great especially for someone who isnt really allowed to wear makeup often. Theres something about your eye that seems so cute and innocent and the blending looks really good too.
I give you a
thmbup.gif
for it being your first ...keep posting!!

Belle85

I think you've done a great job, particularly considering you've barely used eyeshadow before! When i first started applying eyeshadow it was shocking and badly blended, good work!

ebonyannette

Very cute! It looks really fresh.
You dont need make up everyday anyway as long as you can play with it every now and then
smiles.gif

~Crystal~

Thank you!
smiles.gif
I honestly just sort of dumped the colours on, using a few tutorials on here as an example and wriggled my brush a bit to try to 'blend', so if I'm not doing so badly, then I've learnt heaps from you girls
smiles.gif

I really think that it's a bit odd for my mum to be so against it- seeing as how grandma used to be a MA (she ended up opening some beauty school thing) and my aunts are both MAs who teach in it :confused:

There seem to have been quite a few comments on improving by curling my lashes and using mascara. Unfortunately, I don't actually own an eyelash curler
ssad.gif
I've tried using one of those metal clampy ones before, but I seem to be super retarded with those and have issues with getting it to reach my eye =\ Which is why I was thinking of a heated one instead. My younger aunt suggested the curler from Blinc- they use that one when teaching. It is a bit pricey though...

oddinary

Quote:
I'm a bit nervous about posting up anything on here.. just because everyone who posts looks so great and I'm well... the title says it all =\
I guess it's mainly because my parents seriously disapprove of me wearing make up on a day to day basis. Which is why the only time I've ever worn it is for formals (prom) and stuff.

I can totally relate. I'm Chinese too, so I've had that happen to me.
Hey! I only wear make up to prom/photographs and such, too!
smiles.gif

I love wearing makeup because it's fun, honestly. I don't treat it as something to beautify myself (even though that's the purpose), so even when I don't wear makeup, I don't feel as though I can't let anyone see me and I must hide. Ya know what I mean? :p
I'm opening up a bit now and try to wear more makeup. I've bought so much makeup that most I have never even worn out once. I practice at home so I can get better, but there is a never time I can wear it outside my house.

What colour eyeshadows are you using up there? They are very pretty ^.^
I would suggest a highlight colour (Shroom e/s by MAC, for example) which is shimmery.
smiles.gif
If you're doing a look with lots of shimmer on the lid, then by all means go with a matte highlight. I use to think it didn't matter, but apply on your browbone and you'll see it kind of "lifts" your eyeshadow and improves the overall look!
greengrin.gif

A lot of people say eyeliner makes your eyes look bigger, but I don't agree. I think for Asian eyes, it makes them look small. Most Asians (maybe I should say Chinese people! you're lucky you have big eyes! 70% people don't), so who would want them to be smaller? For you, I'd say use a grey-ish black liner that you can smudge a little and line only the outer corners of the eye. It's too harsh if it's just one straight line. Do the same for your top lid! Eyeliner completes the look if you are wearing eyeshadow
smiles.gif

Pei

U have a pair a beautiful, big, round & healthy eyes! (assuming tt the other eye is identical =D)

I think u did a great job on blending the 2 colours.

Wanna c ur FOTDs, keep posting girlie!

~Crystal~

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddinary
I would suggest a highlight colour (Shroom e/s by MAC, for example) which is shimmery.
smiles.gif
If you're doing a look with lots of shimmer on the lid, then by all means go with a matte highlight. I use to think it didn't matter, but apply on your browbone and you'll see it kind of "lifts" your eyeshadow and improves the overall look!
greengrin.gif

A lot of people say eyeliner makes your eyes look bigger, but I don't agree. I think for Asian eyes, it makes them look small. Most Asians (maybe I should say Chinese people! you're lucky you have big eyes! 70% people don't), so who would want them to be smaller? For you, I'd say use a grey-ish black liner that you can smudge a little and line only the outer corners of the eye. It's too harsh if it's just one straight line. Do the same for your top lid! Eyeliner completes the look if you are wearing eyeshadow
smiles.gif

Thank you for your advice!!
smiles.gif

I'll be sure to try it, then post pictures of the result! (Hopefully of more than one eye this time
lol.gif
)

Bootyliciousx

I think eye liner would look so so fabalous on ya and something to lift those lashes..You have fabalous lashes = )

You look so expresive and Beautiful eyes = )