First MAC in Vermont is opening--what-do-I-do? eep!

photogeek

I just received news that MAC is opening a store right near me!!
In VERMONT for heaven's sake!
me:
yahoo.gif

I found this out 5 minutes ago by a friend who works across from where they are putting it in, and checked online *right away*-- it's not on the MAC website, but they posted job openings on Monster/Myspace 5 days ago.

I know how competitive MAC is to work for, but I can't help but wonder if I should try for it. I know the whole 'you won't know unless you try' motto and I usually tell people that myself, BUT here are my hesitations:
I only own about 10 MAC products because of its lack of availability and my early love and obsession with other high-end brands, I pretty much forcibly abstained from getting into it for the sake of my wallet/relative sanity. (also, honestly, I've been pretty intimidated with my experiences with MAC thus far which has scared me off-- I'm sure I've never run into one of you ladies b/c I'm sure I wouldn't have had such bad experiences. this is beside the point. back on track!)
This means that I have a HUUGE makeup collection (not insane, but still pretty damn large even by Speckra standards, imo, lol, which is 'insane' to everyone that knows me really) consisting of Stila (50 e/s or so not including LE palettes), NARS up the wazoo, MUFE, Ben Nye, etc. that's been collecting since I was 13 (am 21 now).
I know 'passion for the brand' and knowledge is big with MAC, so even though I'm TOTALLYTOTALLY willing and able to do the research, my hands-on experience with it is quite lacking, which worries me a LOT about applying.
I also know how big they are on image. I'm not exactly a gorgeous, thin, swanky, fashion-forward typical 'MAC girl'-don't deny it, you beautiful MAC artists, I've seen some of y'all and damn, I just don't know if I'd fit in.

I don't know what to do-- I'm going back to school (in Georgia, none the less) for my last 20 weeks to finish my BFA in Photography at Savannah College of Art and Design from January-May and don't even know when the store would be opening. I'll probably be gone, so that alone is probably enough reason to not bother.

th_confused_new.gif

Would anyone here be willing to look at my resume?
It and some of my work are on my website, but I don't know if I'm allowed to post that since it has my full name and some contact info...so I could post some abbreviated specifics here if that'd be better.

I feel bad asking for so much reading an time from you all since I'm pretty new and readreadread here but haven't posted much yet. But ANY.any.any. feedback at all would be so appreciated, you have no idea
yes.gif
MAC artists, Freelancers, Specktra-ettes, Addicts, Lurkers (like myself, lol), any and all of you have opinions that I value.

thank you thank you my beautiful specktra ladies for getting through this,
meg

blindpassion

One of my good friends is an artist at MAC
and I know all the MAC girls well
and if I've got one piece of advice for you it's...
Getting a job at mac is 10% skill and 90% personality.
Fitting in with the team, working well with your co workers, being outgoing and having a great, fun, creative personality is what its about.

They don't always choose who can do makeup best
or who knows the most
They choose who has the most potential, whos personality shines through, etc etc.
(Atleast at the mac stores in my city this is the case)

I hope that helps
smiles.gif

baybehbekah

Quote:
Originally Posted by photogeek
I also know how big they are on image. I'm not exactly a gorgeous, thin, swanky, fashion-forward typical 'MAC girl'-don't deny it, you beautiful MAC artists, I've seen some of y'all and damn, I just don't know if I'd fit in.

i am not your "typical" mac artist, not to say there is a type, but what people think of is not what i am. i am cute, chubby, and wear pretty much a beautiful look every day! but i know for a fact that is a reason why i was hired, for some customers i am more approachable then my co-worker with blue hair, not because she isn't capable, but because they feel more comfortable with my look. so please don't let that be the reason you wouldn't apply.

i understand the schooling part, and that is probably the most important thing right now. but the store is gonna take at least 6 to 9 months to get up and running! maybe for the time you're gone you can work on your artistry, and your knowledge of the brand. also maybe you can freelance? you have alot of options, and i think you should go for it!

hope that helped
smiles.gif

photogeek

yep-- smack dab in the middle of church street in burlington.
craziness.
it's my friend that works at Lake Champlain Chocolates across the street from where they're moving in that gave me the head's up
smiles.gif

thanks all for the helpful replies too! I'm rushing out right now but want to get back to ya' with specifics soon.
m