Flawless skin- is it possible for me?

DirtyPlum

Hey! Ok, I'm no expert but I do know that I have spent years and a lots of money on the eternal search for flawless skin. I used to have acne and still suffer from the scars and uneven skintone. See my advice below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyEmma
OK, so here is a description of my skin and its problems
  • Normal/ combination skin - keep it well moisturised and try not to use oil free products. Dermologica brand is AMAZING!
  • Skin tone MAC NC25/ EL DW Light in int 2, EM Light olive
  • Large blocked pores on cheeks, chin and nose - get regular facials if you can and a must-have purchase is E Lauders Idealist pore minimiser. It seriously works!
  • Uneven skin tone on cheeks and chin
  • Moderate undereye circles
  • Some breakouts with redness on my chin (breakout with MAC foundations, Revlon Colorstay)
  • For all the above if you can try MACs select concealer in NW20 (get matched) then get that otherwise try ELauders DW concealer. Try EL DW (not light) for more coverage, or continue to use DW Light and get the DW powder for extra coverage.
Here is my current method of doing my face makeup

• Apply EL Idealist pore minimiser
  • Apply Liz Earle normal moisturiser and allow to sink in
  • Apply MAC prep & prime
  • Dot Estee Lauder Double Wear concealor on blemishes on chin and blotchy bits. Allow to dry for a couple of seconds before blending in with finger - Use MAC 217/224 for this
  • Apply YSL Touche Eclait on undereye circles, blending with a different finger Use MAC 217/224 for this
  • Apply EL DW Light with fingers in stroking motions - Use 187 or 190
  • Sometimes set with MAC MSF Natural in medium - Always set with a powder. Buff in to make it look really natural, something like the 187 or 182 are perfect
I still don't feel that I have flawless skin that lasts all day. I don't want a caked look, but by lunchtime I can see my redness and spots coming through. Dont touch your face at all and refresh your MU after lunch. Try and keep your hair off your face too to prevent more spots.

Carry on with your skincare, but i cant recommend Dermologica enough. they may be pricey but they saved my life! Even if you only buy their Daily Microfoliant.

Can anybody recommend any tools/ products that would be good to create that perfect flawless skin look? Any good tutorials to watch?

TIA

rachybloom

Quote:
OK, so here is a description of my skin and its problems
  • Normal/ combination skin
  • Skin tone MAC NC25/ EL DW Light in int 2, EM Light olive
  • Large blocked pores on cheeks, chin and nose
  • Uneven skin tone on cheeks and chin
  • Moderate undereye circles
  • Some breakouts with redness on my chin (breakout with MAC foundations, Revlon Colorstay)
Here is my current method of doing my face makeup
  • Apply Liz Earle normal moisturiser and allow to sink in
  • Dot Estee Lauder Double Wear concealor on blemishes on chin and blotchy bits. Allow to dry for a couple of seconds before blending in with finger
  • Apply YSL Touche Eclait on undereye circles, blending with a different finger
  • Apply EL DW Light with fingers in stroking motions
  • Sometimes set with MAC MSF Natural in medium
I still don't feel that I have flawless skin that lasts all day. I don't want a caked look, but by lunchtime I can see my redness and spots coming through.

Can anybody recommend any tools/ products that would be good to create that perfect flawless skin look? Any good tutorials to watch?

TIA

I would change several things with your routine.. First, add a primer. Either Smashbox Photo Finish Light or MUFE High Definition Primers are great. They definitely make a difference in the longevity of the freshness of your makeup! :] Next, I agree with using a brush. I LOVE MAC 187, it's changed my life. It's a stippling brush and creates a flawless look with the ability to make your coverage sheer, medium, or full.

Also, I would put o concealer on AFTER your foundation. Why rub away all your handy work when you can apply it after? Consider your concealer too.. I know YSL Touche Eclat has a lot of hype around it, and I'm a huge YSL Cosmetics fan (especially their mascaras), but I think the Touche Eclat was the biggest waste of 40 bux I've ever spent. I was seriously disappointed by this product (and I'm not the only one..) and ended up giving it to my mom (who has perfect skin UGH!). For blemishes, I like Laura Mercier Secret Concealer/Camouflage and for undereye circles, Bobbi Brown or MUFE Lifting Concealer. Make sure the undereye concealer has an orange tinge to it (orange cancels out the blue on the circles).

Now onto the foundation.. I've been raving about Makeup Forever High Definition Foundation for so long now. I have splotchy skin with hyper pigmentation and the occasional blemish. Ever since I got the MUFE High Def I've gotten at least five people ask me how I get my skin so perfect. That's never happened to me before. I was so shocked and flattered haha. I've recommended it to everybody who's asked me. I like mixing it with a half-pump of MAC Strobe Liquid for an added sheen. It's beautiful and lasts all day. If you can find it at Sephora, BUY IT. It's the best investment I've ever made in a beauty product.. and I'm not really a product loyalist (with a few exceptions).. I like to mix it up but I will never ever switch foundations again. I like to finish it all by LIGHTLY buffing MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural with the MAC 182 brush (kabuki style). Makeup lasts all day and I get daily compliments.. it makes me feel so much more confident because my skin is definitely something I obsess over.

PHEW! I hoped that helped. I feel so passionately about skin and I hope you find a good routine for you! I love mine right now and will probably stay loyal to these products for a very long time. In short, get a primer, ditch the YSL Touche Eclat for an orange-tinged concealer (just my personal opinion, but if you love it, don't leave it!), get some good brushes (MAC 187 and MAC 182), and definitely, DEFINITELY look into MUFE High Def foundation. Good luck!

JoeyEmma

wow! Thanks for the tips. One problem- there is no sephora in the uk and therefore no mufe! I will confess when I was in Paris they tried to match me up with hd but because I'd never heard of it said no and got matt velvet. Big mistake- I should have got it

I will defo try an orange concealir. Last time I had a mac makeover they used nw25 as a concealor saying the pink tones in it would neutralize the fdark shadows. I'll definitely track down an orange toned one

kariii

Here is my daily routine:
- charged water
- Moisturizer by sephora for dry skin (with the pink writing on outside)
- Monistat chafing cream
- Studio fix in NC30 with 187
- Select cover up concealar (under eyes and scar marks)
- I set it with bare minerals powder with 182 in golden medium
- After that, I apply evenly bare minerals faux tan or Warmth with the big NARS botan brush(http://www.sephora.com/assets/dyn/pr...14800_hero.jpg)
- Sculpt and shape for countoring
- Highlight by bare minerals for brow bone and above cheeks, between the lips

I think it looks flawless but such a long process! I shall do a tutorial on it.

YSLGuy

Im another vote for good skincare routines.

You need to properly prep your canvas before adding color of any sort.

To help with breakouts exfoliation is KEY. At least twice a week depending on your skin. Good a good cleanser and moisturizer as well.

I second the LM Secret Camoflage for spots its great at covering them. And defintely set everything with a translucent powder to help makeup last longer throughout the day.

DirtyPlum

Quote:
I will defo try an orange concealir. Last time I had a mac makeover they used nw25 as a concealor saying the pink tones in it would neutralize the fdark shadows. I'll definitely track down an orange toned one

That is the right one to go for... NW is the warm based (red,orange,pink) concealer.

~Crystal~

Yup... perfecting your skin is the first and most important step (something I'm still trying to do myself lol).

For the concealer- try the MUFE full coverage. You don't need much of it, and it is verryy opaque, so you don't get much of a caked on look over those areas with concealer on. Plus if you're using a powder foundation, you can put it on before the foundation. Personally for my every day face, I use MUFE full cover concealer on my spots and scars, then just buff MSF natural in on top with my 182 brush. Then I use a MSF or mineralized blush from sonic chic (these are really nice for glowy skin!), Emphasize to highlight, Macpro's invisible powder all over with the 187 to keep from being shiny, and finish it all with a spritz of fix+!

That concealer MIGHT be a big heavy for the undereye area though- I've used it extensively for that, but since its been winter and I'm a bit drier there than normal, I've actually taken to layering my MUFE F&B under the eyes and it works like a charm lol!

I don't have MUFE here in Australia either- but I still use face and body! I've hunted it down from the US... from Japan... etc lol! It's really good- and definately non-cakey. You should try it out!

JoeyEmma

ok then. Here's an update

Mufe face and body-too sheer not enough coverage
Mufe hd- appears to be breaking me out and doesn't last a whole day
Laura mercier- dont do a shade right for me and I cant afford to buy 2 and mx them.

I have realized that I'm acually nc20-25 not nc25, and that int 2 in el dw light is too dark for me.

I need recs for a perfect foundation.

Girl about town

Hey i have skin like yours and have eventually reached a point wshere i have found the perfect skin routine!!! i am mac nc25-30 and oily/combination skin i tend to get cystic spots usually but not as many recently! i also have dark circles thanks to my genes!!!!

Skincare wise i use products i have found work the best for me, it all about creating balance with combination skin!!

I use kiehls blue herbal cleanser gel (amazing and prevents breakouts)
for toner Clinique clarifying lotion n0 3
and moisturiser clinique dramatically different moisturising gel

i exfoliate twice a week with mac micro refinisher (think thats the name!!)

make up wise

smashbox photofinish primer with dermaxyl as a primer
mac concealer in nw20 for spots blemishes and scars applied first
i use Dior Diorskin forever flawless finish in medium beige (its amazing coverage)
to finish i use MSF natural in medium (also use blot powder for touch ups during the day)

My skin has never been better

oh also i hate the 187 for applying foundation it gives too light a coverage, i use stila flawless finish foundation brush, or my clean fingers to really work it in , i use the 187 to apply my msf natural
All these items can be bought in the uk, if you need me to tell you where just let me know!!!!