Fluidlines as a base?

zori

Mods, I am unsure where to post this, so feel free to move this post to the appropriate forum....

Apparently they have stopped selling shadesticks at MAC counter here (they never had paints! ) which I use as a base for my e/s to prevent creasing.

The MA recommended that I use Frostlite fluidline instead. Any opinions on this?
hmm.gif
Thanks!

Ambi

Hmm, for a daily use I'd rather use a real primer than a fluidline though of course they are perfectly suitable, just easier to use something that was actually made for the purpose [a lot of brands have an eye make-up primer if they don't sell those at your MAC either].

thelove4tequila

Fluidliners are great as primers! Actually today I used Blacktrack as my base for Carbon e/s. It's been about 8 hours since I put on my MU and no crease. I think Frostlite would be a nice choice for a primer also. But like the comment above, there are some great non-MAC primers. I have never tried Urban Decay Potion Primer myself, but have heard wonders about it. So you can also give that a try!

Lauren

I used Fluidlines as my bases before I got ahold of UDPP, and they were just as good!

glittergoddess27

Yep,.. I use Frostlite as a base all the time,.. it works great. I usually put a ccb over it though if I am looking for some punched up color. Otherwise for normal usage it makes a pretty good base,.. but then again I think I am the only one who doesn't really go nutso for UDPP??

lara

Fluidlines make great bases. They don't have much of an emollient element to them, so they stay.

amoona

I loved shadesticks as a base until they ranndomly started making me crease! Now I use paints and fluidelines ... amazing!

Salynn

I use Frostlite as a base. It really makes a good base and it enhances a bit the colore of the e/s.

ledonatella

I love them as bases or just by themselves. I love Haunting under Creme de Violet or Mancatcher, Delphic under Waternymph, Silverstroke under Electra, etc. They make the shadows so much more vibrant.

Showgirl

I think it depends the look you're going for. The fluildines make nice, light, wearable e/s bases but they do all *definitely* affect the colour of whatever you've put on top. I enjoy playing about with them for particularly this reason - I particularly enjoy layering shimmery powder shadows on top of dark fluidlines, it varies from shadow to shadow, but can give an intense and interesting "jewelled" look as the dark base intensifies the top colour and peeps through a bit, too.

Frostlite is the most "neutral" and "basey" of the fluidlines, but it's still got colour - pearly gold - and will still *definitely* affect the final look of your shadow. For example, I like to wear Seedy Pearl - shimmery pink - packed over Frostlite to give a duochrome pink/gold pearl effect.... so in short, I think frostlite as a base is better if what you're looking for is a *pearly* base. If instead what you're looking for one neutral all purpose base in the way that you might've used beige-ing s/stick before, then look at Urban Decay primer potion, or another neutral primer, instead.

Some of my fave fluidline + shadow looks, and what the f/l does to the look of the shadow:-

frostlite + seedy pearl: pearly shimmer pink and gold together
frostlite + violet pig: the shimmery white of the f/l peeks through and makes the pigment look a bit more of a "lilac" shimmer than a purple - has a lightening effect

bitz 'n glitz + moth brown: a dark and very shimmery smokey eye, the darker colour peeks through a little

macroviolet + beauty marked or nocturnelle: really intensifies the colour - a dark plum smokey eye

blacktrack + carbon: semi-matte very intensely black eye
blacktrack + violet pig: really dark, intense purple shimmer as the black shows through
blacktrack + Urban Decay Vert (light intensely shimmery green): really dark green metallic eye

... etc

Hope this helps x

sewprecocious

i personally find fluidline as a base shows a lot of texture on the eyelid, although it does hold really well. some of the girls at my counter who have extraordinarily weepy eyes use the liquidlast liners as well, and they can actually look pretty awesome if applied very smoothly and sheerly. but youre gonna need an oil based m/u remover to get these guys off really well.

just remember that waterproof m/u can sometimes inhibit the skins ability to breathe. but yes! good luck

styrch

I love using Macroviolet as a base with things like Idol Eyes (I can't use Idol Eyes any other way).

Also, Graphic brown is a good base for a nice bronzy-brown eye.

bellaetoile

i've used them as bases under shadows and pigments, and i like them pretty well. my favorites are still shadesticks, but fluidlines work pretty well, too, and they have some really pretty colors. i think they definately work better than paints, and the color selection is a lot better, too. i still use urban decay primer potion, and then apply fluidlines with the 242 or 252 brush in a thin even layer. definately let the fluidline dry on your lid before trying to apply your shadow or pigment.

Caderas

they are actually pretty good bases, i haven't put them in my creases because i'm afraid it'll be a bad outcome with my oily lids, but i've used all my three new weed, iris eyes, and a little blacktrack and they all enhance colors pretty great.
greengrin.gif

Uofmchick18

Ive used parfait amour over haunting fluidline the other day and i was pleasantly surprised. Also waternymph over delphic looks lovely. I have yet to try other fluidlines, but after this post, seems like the majority of you guys like these as bases. i might just give it a try!