Food For Thought :o)

xFlossy

I just watched this on tv and it really proved my theory that budget line cosmetics are just as good as higher end ones.

Cosmetic showdown

Im not sure if overseas Ladies can see this. If not, I appologise.

Twinkle_Twinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by xFlossy
I just watched this on tv and it really proved my theory that budget line cosmetics are just as good as higher end ones.

Cosmetic showdown

Im not sure if overseas Ladies can see this. If not, I appologise.

That was super cute. And the link worked just fine for me and I'm the the U.S. I didn't realize it was an Australian clip until I heard the commercial and then looked at the prices of the drugstore cosmetics. I was like "$26 for Maybeline!" then I realized it was AUS $, lol.

Anyway, there are def. drugstore gems. But 3 hours of wear isn't what I would call the "test of time" either.

Meisje

I agree, 3 hours is not enough time. Also, they were just standing, not eating, moving, dancing, etc.

I wear both high-end and drugstore. For example, I wear drugstore foundation (ColorStay) and I've sampled the high-end stuff, which doesn't even compare. But for some items, like my TFSI, there's no lower priced item that does the same IME.

That's a neat segment. The song running all the way through was kind of annoying!

xFlossy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meisje
I agree, 3 hours is not enough time. Also, they were just standing, not eating, moving, dancing, etc.

I wear both high-end and drugstore. For example, I wear drugstore foundation (ColorStay) and I've sampled the high-end stuff, which doesn't even compare. But for some items, like my TFSI, there's no lower priced item that does the same IME.

That's a neat segment. The song running all the way through was kind of annoying!

Yeah thats what I said to hubby lastnight, 3 hours isn't enough time to judge wearability. I usually reach for my lashblast mascara and that is great wearing after an 8 hour day.

I also agree on the tfsi, though expensive, at least for me here, it lasts forever and I haven't found anything else other than udpp which does a great job at stopping the fading and creasing.

shatteredshards

Lashblast was a pretty awesome find for me as well - it kicks the butt of my former staple mascara, which, sad to say, was MAC Zoom Lash. I've had it on for 10 hours now (which included 8 1/2 hours at work) and it still looks good.

..kels*

Honestly.... there is no comparison between Chanel & Maybelline foundation. I can see the difference even in the video.
Lashblast is one of the only drugstore products worth buying IMO.

Meisje

I forgot to add, L'Oreal Voluminous mascara as a great drugstore pick... It never gives me raccoon eyes or flakes. Once I wore it on an evening where I was in rain, fog, and went to three crazy live band shows, as well as had an allergic sneezing fit and wiped my eyes... it didn't budge.

Twinkle_Twinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ..kels*
Honestly.... there is no comparison between Chanel & Maybelline foundation. I can see the difference even in the video.
Lashblast is one of the only drugstore products worth buying IMO.

LOL! I can't say because I have never worn either. I personally feel that most of the department store/higher end brands of makeup that I have tried and use, perform better than the drugstore makeup that I have. Sure I have DS products. Some of them are great, and the price is great so you end up with a great value, which is where the appeal lies, however, 9 times out of 10, my high end version of that product still performs better.

Also, one thing that hasn't been mentioned in this thread or in threads like it is shade selection. Many people on both ends of the skintone spectrum have a hard time finding shades in drugstore brands. Here in the U.S. I think I could probably wear the darkest shade of Revlon's Photo Ready and there might be a shade in L'Oreal's True Match line that could possibly work for me (but just eyeballing it I would say it is a bit too light). I am NW45 for reference. There is the Cover Girl Queen Collection, but the texture of those products are WAY off (like wax) and the undertones are WAY too red. So really, of the main drugstore cosmetic companies there is really almost nothing to choose from. And even if you can find a foundation shade there isn't a concealer that would match you. If you just looked at a makeup display at the DS you would think that folks of my coloring didn't exist which is ridiculous when you consider that MAC used to make shades as deep as NW60. There are cheaper lines that are geared towards WOC like Black Radiance and Black Opal. They are at a cheaper price point than your Revlon and Maybeline, etc. I wont comment as to their quality because I haven't tried the lines, but suffice it to say that I don't want to. And then you have Milani and Iman, which are alright. But that still is a fraction of the selection that most people have to choose from when they walk into CVS and pale ladies have even less to choose from. I said all of that to say that many of us use higher end lines out of necessity. When I walk into Bloomingdales, I have NARS, MAC, Bobbi Brown, Clinique, Lancome and Estee Lauder, all of which have shades that match me (although I am at the tail end of Lancome and EL).

Also, I don't think most women dish out lots of money for Chanel foundation simply because Chanel makes it. No one is going to know what foundation you put on your face unless you tell someone, and not many of us go around wearing t-shirts that broadcast the brand of foundation we are wearing. It's not like a hand bag that speaks for itself. And luxury brands like Chanel are very different than MAC in terms of brand appeal. MAC literally has a cult following. Many people buy MAC because it is MAC and that in and of itself means something to them (cool, edgy, quality, collector's item, etc.). That is just not the case with brands like Chanel, NARS, Laura Mercier, Lancome, to some extent Dior (because Dior does release relatively exciting seasonal collections and people do collect the Quints), etc. People buy those goods because they are luxe and decadent and they work.

Ingredient sensitivity is another issue. I know people whose eyes agree with Dior Show but water at the sight of L'Oreal or Maybeline mascaras.

I'm not trying to put down anyone's makeup up choses. It's your money, buy and wear what you want. And people's reasons for buying things vary. For me, I'll dish out for eye shadow, but not mascara. Does that mean I think Lash Blast is the best mascara and just as good as "fill-in-the-blank"? Hell no. It just means it's decent enough and the price is good especially for something you use up/have to toss in a few months. But I think that this idea that drugstore cosmetics are "just as good as" higher-end brands is more often than not, just not the case.

Meisje

Is it my imagination, or do some drugstore items have an intolerable smell? NYC lip glosses, for instance.

Some don't smell any different than their department store counterparts, but there are a few that smell notably bad. One thing I find with high-end stuff is that there's either no smell or a pleasant smell.

KimmyAnn_678

I couldn't watch the whole thing because the music was annoying me, but I do agree that 3 hours is nothing. If a product only lasted 3 hours on me, I wouldn't even use it.

As with anything else, there's always some DS items that rock and some that suck, and the same goes for high end cosmetics.

Folie

Things that make me gravity towards high end that IMO drugstore brands can never dupe: I have highly sensitive skin, very fair skinned, and certain smells/textures turn me off. I have sensitive skin and I've never used a drug store product without it eventually making my skin turn red. I think part of this is drug store brands use oil as a base. This clogs pores, makes skin bad. High end uses more water based products. Better from your skin, less clogging. I've also noticed, high end brand tend to have more "organice" make up or more of their ingredients are natural. Drugstore make up often uses chemicals that are cheap. I'm very fair. I've noticed most foundations/powders/ect don't match my tone. Usually, I'd have to put it on my neck to conceal the difference. If they do, or are very close, they oxidize. This, oxidation, has never happened on me with high end things. A lot of drug store brands smell bad. Usually just too strong.
ssad.gif
Could you achieve the same look with Chanel and say Covergirl? Yes, if you really look for the right colors. Will it give you the benefits in the long run? No. I don't think, from personal experience, drug store products hold up as long as high end. I've also noticed, high products last longer. Drug store make up, I have friends who use it, tends to get really nasty looking and go bad very fast.

xFlossy

I can't really comment either on Foundation as I don't feel I need to wear it. I had a look at the Colourstay range and got so frustrated with it as I couldn't find a shade that was in between.

We also don't have as much range as you Ladies in the us do, Covergirl queen? Or black opal? Never heard of it.

Twinkle_Twinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by xFlossy
I can't really comment either on Foundation as I don't feel I need to wear it. I had a look at the Colourstay range and got so frustrated with it as I couldn't find a shade that was in between.

We also don't have as much range as you Ladies in the us do, Covergirl queen? Or black opal? Never heard of it.

Covergirl Queen Collection

Black Opal

Black Radiance

Iman

Milani

I had a Black Radiance loose powder once. Can we say ewww. Anyway, those are the links in case you wanted to explore.

Meimei91

I agree with the above posters that 3 hours is definitely not long enough to test.

I'm personally not a fan of drugstore products. Mainly because for foundations and such, I have trouble finding a color match. Also because I'm sensitive to certain ingredients that seem to be all over drugstore products, but appear in more higher end products much less often.

LMD84

3 hours isn't long enough to test. but that said i think that the difference is very small and i can't believe the price difference!
smiles.gif

Latest posts