For those who are working... Do you get a bonus?

Corvs Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by red
If we were in the stone age there wouldn't be so many people knocking on our doors to come to this country, what do you think?

Take notice of the majority of the people that are knocking on your doors. Look at the places they are leaving.

Also, America is a land of convenience and not opportunity. A sad realization that many immigrants learn the hard way.

Johnny Wal

i dont get ANYTHINGGGG
seriously, since i am a part time employee (i work 20-25 hours a week, and go to school 5 days a week, so i cant work full time), i dont get any benefits. and they take advantage of that, imo. i dont get time and a half on sundays like full time does..... i work EVERY sunday.
i dont get any extra on holidays - worked every holiday since ive been there (year and a half-ish). boooo

we do a secret santa thing, though. i guess its fun.

MxAxC-_ATTACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautyPsycho
Corv's Queen is right... in Europe you also get real vacation time (not 3 days, but few weeks/months depending on how long you work), a lot of time off after you have a baby (and it's paid, too). So, yeah...

It all depends on your employer, you will find shitty employers everywhere.

Corvs Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxAxC-_ATTACK
It all depends on your employer, you will find shitty employers everywhere.

Nope. Here in Austria there is actually a committee that is devoted just to employee rights. I said it once and I will say it again, here you really do have more rights than your employer. If you are done wrong by your employer in the slightest then you file a complaint with said committee and they handle things with your employer.

redambition

We have something similar in Australia - but the last government watered it down.

It's not a union (but we have those too), it's an independant, Government run office to ensure that employers don't try to remove basic entitlements that employees should be getting by law.

Dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by redambition
It's not a union (but we have those too), it's an independant, Government run office to ensure that employers don't try to remove basic entitlements that employees should be getting by law.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that be similar to America's EEOC?

tiramisu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy
I get a bonus along with "holiday pay" (time and a half) for working the extended hours the store has during the holiday season. But it's all included in my paycheck so I get taxed on it. Still makes for a nice check, but I wish they would do the cash in envelope way they used to.

I quite like being a caveman, thankyouverymuch.
smiles.gif

*grunts* in agreement..
th_LMAO.gif

I love those GEICO commercials, btw.... that just made me think of them

rainy

I work for what is considered a "high end" mall jewelry store, and people assume we are compensated accordingly, but really we're all making less than we would be at the cheaper places. And no holiday bonuses, monthly bonuses only if we AND the store make our targets (which never happens because our management situation has deteriorated drastically) and no Christmas party - if we want to get together we have to plan and pay for it ourselves. Seriously, a little employee appreciation really isn't that expensive, and I'm pretty sure it's tax deductible anyway.

COBI

Actually, if it's about basic rights, it doesn't sound very different than our Department of Labor in the US. Employees can file complaints with them regarding basic issues that violate current labor laws such as payment, withholding, time worked, etc.

Regarding vacations and such, I live/work in the US, and I get 6 weeks of vacation plus 2 weeks of personal/sick time. I also get annual bonuses. The standard employee gets 1-2 weeks salary for a year-end bonus. I also received an additional 10% of my salary bonus this year based on special projects.

Most people that I know who do not receive real vacation time are not full-time employees or have been with their company under 6-12 months.

purrtykitty

I think Corv's point is that European employers are required by law to provide their employees with vacation benefits, etc. Whereas in America vacation benefits are just that, benefits. And if you aren't provided with vacation, there's no recourse (the EEOC isn't going to do anything about it). It may sound like a Union, but it's not because these employee requirements are embedded in the countries' respective laws. I'm sure there are pluses and minuses of both systems, but I've always thought I'd much rather work under the European System.

Oh, and I'm a student, so no bonus for me.
ssad.gif