Foundation and Cover-Up

carol

I went to 2 different MAC counters to find a good foundation/powder/face combo. I almost never wear make-up (just wash my face and go), but now that I'm getting out of school and have to start going to job interviews, I want something that'll even things out and polish up my face a bit so it's more presentable/professional looking. But I don't want to have a lot on my face nor have to spend a lot of time applying it in the morning.

One place ended up giving me NC35 studio fix + NW30 select cover-up for under the eyes. But that doesn't make sense, because aren't NW and NC essentially for "opposite" colorings? I don't know what she actually put on me for the cover-up, but when I looked in the mirror afterwards in the restroom, it looked wrong, almost too light.

The other place suggested NC30 select sheer/pressed powder on top of NC42 select SPF foundation. But, the MA at the first place thought NC30 was a tad too light for me (besides, I tan easily in the summer). And is 30 to 42 a big jump in tint?

And does the same number combo carry across all the different products (would I therefore buy NC35 across the board for everything if I go with that)?

Since both places gave me different recommendations, should I go somewhere for a third opinion?

Overall, the SPF foundation felt kind of heavy on my face (maybe I'm not used to it?). But I liked the feel of the studio fix powder (it was light). My only worry with anything on my face is having to worry about accidently rubbing it off on anything (my clothes, towels, hands if I wipe my eyes or something).

Any suggestions or opinions?

Thanks.

maxcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by carol
I went to 2 different MAC counters to find a good foundation/powder/face combo. I almost never wear make-up (just wash my face and go), but now that I'm getting out of school and have to start going to job interviews, I want something that'll even things out and polish up my face a bit so it's more presentable/professional looking. But I don't want to have a lot on my face nor have to spend a lot of time applying it in the morning.

One place ended up giving me NC35 studio fix + NW30 select cover-up for under the eyes. But that doesn't make sense, because aren't NW and NC essentially for "opposite" colorings? I don't know what she actually put on me for the cover-up, but when I looked in the mirror afterwards in the restroom, it looked wrong, almost too light.

The other place suggested NC30 select sheer/pressed powder on top of NC42 select SPF foundation. But, the MA at the first place thought NC30 was a tad too light for me (besides, I tan easily in the summer). And is 30 to 42 a big jump in tint?

And does the same number combo carry across all the different products (would I therefore buy NC35 across the board for everything if I go with that)?

Since both places gave me different recommendations, should I go somewhere for a third opinion?

Overall, the SPF foundation felt kind of heavy on my face (maybe I'm not used to it?). But I liked the feel of the studio fix powder (it was light). My only worry with anything on my face is having to worry about accidently rubbing it off on anything (my clothes, towels, hands if I wipe my eyes or something).

Any suggestions or opinions?

Thanks.

It does actually make sense. First, the formulas are different. ESPECIALLY studio fix. I don't know anyone who has the same studio fix as liquid foundation - and even within the liquid foundations. The new studio fixes are darker, for example. Also I know lots of MMAs who will use an opposite c or w for highlighting and brightening the face.
And if you see a third artist, you may get a third opinion. My advice is go with the combo you think made your skin look and feel the best. If you liked the studio fix, give it a go.

carol

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcat
My advice is go with the combo you think made your skin look and feel the best. If you liked the studio fix, give it a go.

I think I'll go with that. Thanks for the explanation. All this NC and NW and number stuff was just so confusing to me.

macbeautyyadix

Going to mac can sometimes be a confusing experience especially if you don't have much knowledge in the color selection (as most of us do :/)