Foundation application help

karester

I've tried so many liquid foundations and I keep ending up with the same problem. Now I am thinking that it's not the foundation but the way I'm applying it. Wish I would've realized that awhile ago, it would've saved me money.

Anyway, so after I put on my foundation, it seems to accentuate any dry spots on my face. Or it just looks messy and powdery. The foundations I have are MUFE HD, Bobbi Brown Skin, MAC Pro Longwear and Nars Sheer Glow.

I wash my face and moisturize, I let that sink in then put primer on. Then I wait a few minutes before applying my foundation. I use either my fingers or my Bobbi Brown foundation brush and I get the same results. Although it seems worse with the brush because even with the smallest amount it streaks and I have a hard time blending it in.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I'm doing wrong, or what can actually help? Would you recommend a different brush like a MAC 190, 187 or 130?

karester

Any recommendations? I'm heading to Nordies in a couple days and would like to pick up something new (brushes or whatever). That is, if anyone thinks this would help how I'm applying my foundation.

Also, would a better moisturizer help? I use either Korres Wild Rose moisturizer or Clinique's Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion.

JennsJewelz

Hmm, that's tough! Do you have really dry skin? If so, maybe try using a serum even before your moisturizer to get some extra moisture in. Also, when you clean your face, do exfoliate from time to time to get rid of any dead skin cells? If you are, try using a toner after washing to remove any leftover residue. Make sure to drink lots of water, too!

For your liquid foundation, no matter how you apply (fingers, brush...), I would blend it out with a damp sponge right afterwards. If you're finishing with a powder after that, be sure to spray a bit of Fix + or something similar on your face to take away some of that powdery look. If you feel your makeup still looks really heavy, maybe try a lighter fluid formula like MAC's Face and Body or a tinted moisturizer. You can also mix in lighter products to your foundation, like a moisturizer, or strobe liquid/lustre drops for a dewy look.

Are those moisturizers really creamy? I tend to like one with a more gel-like feel... right now I'm using MAC's Deep Ultra Lightful Moisturizer (Pro and online, I think), and I used to love the Biotherm Aqua Source products.

Hope something here helps you!!

Mabelle

I would agree with tquestions above. Is your skin more oily or dry? do you exfoliate 2-3 a week. What kinda of a moisturizer do you use? Is your skin/foundation like this year round, or just come winter.

I don't know what kind of foundation brush you use (ie if its the flat traditional kind, skunk, whatever) but my all time most absolute favourite way to make foundation look SUPER natural and flawless is to use a buffing brush like the Sephora brand no. 45 mineral buffing brush. I put a pump of my HD in my palm (to warm it up and keep it moving) and then buff it up and then onto my face. It looks SO good. I swear everytime i should ppl this trick, it changes their mind about foundation. You can also try applying it with a wet sponge. It will cut the foundation with a bit a water and wont soak up all the product.

karester

My skin is dry combination. I try to exfoliate at least once a week, any more than that, my face gets irritated and flaky. And honestly, the only thing I've found to clean my face that doesn't irritate it at all is Ponds or Olay wet cleansing cloths.

It seems that all year round my face does this with foundation, but gets worse during winter when it's extra dry. The brush I use is the regular flat kind.

Both of those moisturizers I use are lotions, I don't know if I'd describe them as creamy. I'm a little nervous of going to a counter and asking what they suggest as I'm afraid they'd try to push the most expensive product on me.

JennsJewelz

Hmm... are you using a physical exfoliant (like crystals, buffing beads) or a chemical exfoliant (like glycolic acid?) Maybe the physical exfoliants are too harsh on your sensitive skin. I'm no expert in this area, but someone at a beauty counter would be!

Don't be afraid to ask for help - if you need to, give a range for your budget, say you're really not comfortable spending above a certain amount and be specific with what you're looking for. I know the Biotherm and MAC ones I've given you are good for sensitive skin and aren't too expensive, but I'm sure there are lots of others as well. If you find your moisturizers work well for you though, don't give up on a good thing!

Hope you have some luck! :)

ElvenEyes

I have dry skin in many places, especially the temples and around my nose, between my eyes. I have found using the Clarisonic Mia with the most delicate of brushes has helped tremendously. Your skin feels so smooth and you can choose how often you want to use it. I use mine about 3 times a week. Then I put on Oil of Olay night cream which really moisturizes my skin nicely and is not expensive. It does the job and I have never broken out from it. The following morning I was with Aveeno Soy Cleanser and their Soy moisturizer and I am ready to apply makeup to a smooth palette! I hope this helps! Sometimes you just need to mix it around to get the right skin care routine down for you!

karester

A weekly peel sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out. And I always use primer, either Smashbox or Korres. One has silicone, the other doesn't. I use Korres more often now since finding it, but I don't want to waste the Smashbox, so I'm trying to use it up slowly.

JennsJewelz

^^ I was just reading up on another thread that Clarins has some really good products for different levels of dry skin that help to get rid of flaky/scaly patches, and if you need different products for different levels of dryness throughout the year, they have lots of options in their line. Maybe that could be helpful to you! :)

Sephorian

If your problem is streaking while you're applying, it's most likely the brush! I looooove Stila's #33 foundation brush. Or try stippling instead of just using strokes

Coll

Id reccommend Cliniques moisture surge to have your skin soft and less dry before applying your foundation.Always let the moisturiser settle in to your skin wait at least 10 minutes,perhaps liquid foundation just isnt the right foundation for you.As someone who suffers from terribly dry skin i have found mineral powder foundation to be the best.

banana1234

elizabeth arden 8 hour cream is my saviour for dry skin, its not glamourous, i dont like the smell but it works

i have also been using mac's comfort cream lately and i am very impressed

my advice is gently exfoliate a couple times a week, and buy a rich moisturiser, (mac comfort cream, avene rich compensating cream) and treat problemm areas with the elizabeth arden 8 hour cream

i also find primers with silicones in etc, are usually for oily skin, try a primer for dry skin, or skip the primer, and just apply serum,moisturiser then foundation

oh and i like the 188/130 for foundation

afulton

If your problem is the brush, you should try these of something similar:
MAC's 187 brush
Beauty Blender (works magic)--Sonia Kashik has a similar one at Target
Sigma's F80 brush

Nepenthe

Skin texture is always a matter of skin care. It can be tough to find that perfect routine though.

When you're applying your foundation over those dry patches, are you going against the grain? With the very popular buffing techniques, regardless of the applicator - if you're going against the dry skin you're going to lift it up slightly and get that patchy/scaly look. It's a bit more time consuming, but I've had luck when dealing with drier skin types if I really focus on smoothing down the dry patches.

regru

I have dry skin in many places, especially the temples and around my nose, between my eyes. I have found using the Clarisonic Mia with the most delicate of brushes has helped tremendously. Your skin feels so smooth and you can choose how often you want to use it. I use mine about 3 times a week. Then I put on Oil of Olay night cream which really moisturizes my skin nicely and is not expensive. It does the job and I have never broken out from it. The following morning I was with Aveeno Soy Cleanser and their Soy moisturizer and I am ready to apply makeup to a smooth palette! I hope this helps! Sometimes you just need to mix it around to get the right skin care routine down for you!
thanks for the tips!!! your skin drescription matchs mine!!!