Foundation Confusion

Miss_Behave

ok let me start with: I'm confused.
I never bought any MAC foundations because I heard that a lot of people break out from it, but I tried some in the store and two MA matched me with NW15 (though it's a bit dark for me in winter) I'm reeeaallly pale with freckles and have rosey undertones (a nicer version for broken capillary (sp?)) so most of the foundation available are to yellow for me.
I consider myself as warm toned, because I look better in warm colors I believe, but NW means cool right? (first confusion)
So I went to my MAC store to get myself a sample of studio fix fluid (because you were all raving) and the MA matched me with NC15, I told her that it would probably too yellow but she said, she would definitly recommend a more yellowish foundation to cover my redness. I always thought if you have red undertones you should use a foundation that matches it? (second confusion)

Could anybody clear this foundation thing up for me, pleeeaaaassee?

PS: Studio Fix Fluid is awesome!! I use it the second day and even if I still think it's a bit too yellow, it looks and it feels nice, hope I won't break out from it.
I also tried the NW15 and it was friggin ORANGE.

koolkatz

I've heard so many different things, but I go with the very first thing I ever heard - to think of it as 'Neutralize Cool' or 'Neutralize Warm'. I am yellow-toned (Asian), but I am cool, so I wear NC35.

This might help someone. It's from the Pro site:

"M·A·C shade designations for Foundations, Concealer, and Powder are a combination of a letter and a number.

The letter represents the colour family of the product. The number denotes the lightness or darkness. The higher the number, the deeper the colour.

The first step in selecting your shade is to simply look at your skin, without make-up, in daylight.

Decide which of the following descriptions best represents your skin colour:

If your skin looks more Golden Beige, you match with Neutral Cool or NC shades.

If your skin looks more Pink Beige, you match with Neutral Warm or NW shades.

Most skin tones will fall into these two classifications. However, if you are still not certain which classification is right for you, consider the undertones in your skin.

To determine your undertone, take a look at the underside of your forearm:

If your veins look more blue, then you most likely have pinkish undertones. If your veins look more green, then you have more yellow or golden undertones.

If you have a significant undertone to your skin, you may choose to play it up or play it down by trying a shade that includes or excludes your undertones:

If your skin looks more Yellow-Golden Olive, you will find those undertones in the Cool or C shades.

If your skin looks more Beige, you will match with the Neutral or N shades.

If your skin looks more Pink, you will find those pink undertones in the Warm or W shades.

Please bear in mind, finding the "right" colour is something very subjective. Most people will wear a variety of different shades throughout the year because the colour of skin changes according to the lighting, the seasons, and physical well being. We encourage you to visit a store near you, or if you prefer, to email a M·A·C Artist for a personal consultation."

You can see it if you go here:
http://www.macpro.com/templates/prod..._ID=PROD9 799
and click on 'Shade Guide'. HTH!

Miss_Behave

yes I read that and it goes with what I think of myself pink undertones = warm.
So if I wear NC this is the right way because yellow neutralizes pink?

koolkatz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_Behave
yes I read that and it goes with what I think of myself pink undertones = warm.
So if I wear NC this is the right way because yellow neutralizes pink?

Hmmm, I would think that if you have pink undertones, then you would need NW ('Neutralize Warm'). If someone knows better, please correct me!

Miss_Behave

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkatz
Hmmm, I would think that if you have pink undertones, then you would need NW ('Neutralize Warm'). If someone knows better, please correct me!

well that's what I thought, but why did she match me with NC then? or maybe the new Studio fix is totaly out of range because the NW looked really orange. And do I really neutralize warm with a yellow foundation instead of a pink one?

martygreene

MAC is screwy with their warm/cool think.

Traditionally in makeup, yellow and olive tones are "warm" and pink tones are "cool". MAC calls yellow cool, and pink warm.

Now, because your skin tone has warm or cool tones to it does not mean you can only wear warm or cool colors. That depends largely on your skin tone in combination with your haircolor, eyes, and clothing.

Looking at your pictures, you mightn't be warm or cool at all, but rather neutral. Having broken capillaries can make it hard to determine your true base-tones. Given your eye color, and what I've seen of your pictures, I'd say you're more neutral.

Yellow also doesn't counteract red/pink, green does that. Yellow just makes those tones go peachy-orange.

Shawna

Yup, your colouring and my colouring are almost identical (I got my mom's Scandinavian colouring) and I'm an NW 20 in MAC too. I have white skin with pink undertones and freckles too. I can also wear the neutral shades, but the cool shades in MAC make me look jaundiced. They have a really messed up system which is why I always try stuff first before buying it because I've had some bad colour matches in the past.

spendtoomuch

I understand how frustrating it is to get a match. I have been told I am NW20, NC20, NC30, N4, N2, C2. They are all so different how can I be all of those.

Miss_Behave

@martygreene: thanks so much for checking out my pics and helping me to clarify my confusion. Maybe I'm just really neutral and all this broking capillaries stuff makes it look like I have pink undertones. Yes, I always thought green counteracts red, but maybe I was missing something with the yellow but I guess 'I don't
smiles.gif

@shawna: girl, when every you answer my post I know you can relate coz we're in the same "aspirin-white-boat" LOL

asnbrb

I'm a NC 35 for foundation and USUALLY a NC 30 for concealer, but recently a MA matched me to a NW30 for the pencil one.

Padmita

The fact that you have broken capillaries doesn't mean that you have red UNDERtones, they're rather surface tones. I think that you *might* be warm because you have freckles and hazel eyes, but it's hard to tell from pics sometimes. This means you probably have golden undertones and red surface tones, hence a yellow-toned foundation would flatter your skin, while a red foundation would probably only accentuate the redness in your skin. I have a sample of NW15 myself and I find it very orange too. The MA matched me with NW20 but in natural light this is too dark for me. So I got myself a sample of NC15 and this is a much better match, I don't think it's too yellow. It actually looks almost the same as my current foundation, and I'm trying to exchange the NW20 for NC15 but it's a pita.....

anuy

okay i am sooo confused.

i'm asian so that would make me golden olive right?

but i have rosatia or however the hell you spell it and so i'm really rosy and pink in the face. it's not cute, i look like i have a sunburn.

so am i NW or NC?

every time i go, they tell me one thing and then the next time, they tell me another.

Padmita

@anuy: It's always hard to tell if you don't see the person in front of you. Most asians are olive/yellowish skinned and overall cool color types. To determine your undertones, it can also help to look at your neck and see if it's different from the color e.g. on your cheeks where you have redness. I think NC would be the safer bet for your skintone, but it really depends...

litlaur

Well, as far as liking warm colors...

I'm NC (warm/yellow undertones), and my favorite colors to wear on my eyes are cool (purple, blue, green) but I like warm colors (warm pinks, coral, peach) on my cheeks and lips.

I love the formula of Studio Fix Fluid and I'm lucky that I finally found the right shade, but the range of colors seems a bit off from the rest of their foundations.

mrstucker

Not sure if this helps, but I'm a redhead, with freckles and hazel eyes, and I purchased NW14, which was yellow on me. I went to a counter, and they matched me up as NC20, much better, but still a little yellow, or 'corpsey' as I call it. I think all their foundations looks yellow (the new ones anyway), but a neat little trick helps:

1. put foundation only where needed, very lightly
2. put on blush
3. Use kabuki or other really large brush to put on Refined Golden bronzer all over
4. Finish with Cute blush, or Pretty Baby, or Porcelain Pink as an all over powder (I thought it was odd too, but the MA did it on me, and it looks amazing!

I don't look heavily made up, just really glowy and healthy (with perfect skin). However, skipping steps 2 or 3 is probably enough, if you find the foundation yellowey, to make it 'warmer'. Though I find skinfinish too much on some days (that's when I use the Pretty Baby or Cute), it's a great look if you're going to be outside. For the office though, I use the blush or powder - no sparkles!

HTH!

Melisanda

I have never tried MAC foundations but i have some broken capillaries on my face too so I'll throw my 2 cents in this thread!
smiles.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmita
The fact that you have broken capillaries doesn't mean that you have red UNDERtones, they're rather surface tones.

Absolutelly! My skin is rather thin and translucent (and also quite pale) so the capillaries shine through it, so to speak, and a big part of my face looks pinkish (cheeks, nose). however, that has nothing to do with my actual skin tone, which is sort of neutral olive. I always test new foundations on the jawline and neck because my natural skin tone is visible there. Pinkish foundation are an abosolute no no for me, neutral or slightly yellow foundations in general look much better on me.

Quote:
Yellow also doesn't counteract red/pink, green does that. Yellow just makes those tones go peachy-orange.

For me yellow does a much better job at counteracting red, whereas green correctors made me look a little greyish and unnatural.

Latest posts