Foundation For Summer

embabe89

This is my first post, so I hope I'm doing this in the right place, haha. Anyway, I usually use Senna liquid foundation. You guys might not have heard of it because I don't think it's very popular, but it's something I got from the place where I get my eyebrows waxed. Here's a link for reference: Senna

I've heard that during the summer, it's better to use a powder foundation as opposed to a liquid one, since when you sweat your face might look oily. Is there any truth to this? Do you think it would be worth it to invest in a powder? If I were to get one, I think I would get MAC mineralize skinfinish in light, but would that actually be classified as a foundation? Or are there any other powder foundations that you would suggest? But if you guys think a liquid foundation during the summer time would be fine, then I won't bother buying it.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks!!

Kiseki

You can use a tinted moisturizer for Summer, MAC's isn't half bad and it's blottable with pressed powder.

As for MSF, if you don't want to look oily or greasy, stay away from them. It has a highly intense shiny finish and with oil it just looks... greasy.

The only powder foundation I like is La Prairie's and it's incredibly expensive. MAC Studio Fix is highly popular but if you have acne-prone skin I leave you a warning that it does break me out like no one's business.

By Terry's Light Expert foundation is fabulous and incredible for Summer, albeit expensive (and fragranced).

SoSoAmazin

How much coverage do you need? And what is your skin type (oily/dry/combo)?

I need heavier medium-full coverage because of acne scars and whatnot, and my combo skin gets really oily in the heat so I use long-lasting foundations such as Revlon Colorstay or Estee Lauder Doublewear (which is my HG!). So you don't necessarily have to use a powder foundation. Make Up Forever has a powder foundation called Duo Mat that helps control oil too. Or you can just keep using what you already have and buy some oil blotting sheets and MAC's blot powder... Just some suggestions, but it all depends on your personal pref. and skin type.

Hope this helps!
smiles.gif

rabideloise

In the summer I would recommend using concealer and just setting that with a translucent powder. I have a tendency to sweat a lot so I try to keep it simple in the summer months
greengrin.gif

i use maybelline pure with a powder on top to set it, and even if i sweat a little, i end up looking "natural" instead of my foundation/powder being caked together.

xiahe

Opt for a tinted moisturizer - but just to warn you these have very sheer coverage so they're better for those who don't need a lot of coverage. I use Clinique's Sheer Moisture Tint (along with some concealer) and dust on Physicians Formula powder on top (or you can use MAC Select Sheer or MAC Blot powder like others have been suggesting)...I hear great things about Laura Mercier's tinted moisturizer but I heard the coverage on that is very very very sheer so I don't think spending ~$40 on a bottle of that is worth it when I'm perfectly happy with my ~$25 Clinique stuff.

Kiseki

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiahe
I hear great things about Laura Mercier's tinted moisturizer but I heard the coverage on that is very very very sheer so I don't think spending ~$40 on a bottle of that is worth it when I'm perfectly happy with my ~$25 Clinique stuff.

Laura Mercier's Tinted Moisturizer is probably the one with the most coverage, I consider it to be a far superior product than Clinique's whose tones leave the fair skinned and deep skinned without an option, it's a shame because I really liked the texture and feel though.

tiramisu

I second the remember that tinted moisturizer is sheer, but it feels light and nice in the summer months.

For a cheaper alternative, I think that Neutrogena's Healthy Skin tinted moisturizer (if you can handle some retinols-- it does have SPF 15 in it, not much, but something) is really great. This is relatively inexpensive (like $12 a bottle) and works well-stays on without ever looking made up. I use it often and really love that it doesn't cause my skin any breakouts either.
I do love NARS pressed powder too on it's own too in the summer as a powder alternative, but it's kind of pricey (but worth it imo)

BlahWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiseki
As for MSF, if you don't want to look oily or greasy, stay away from them. It has a highly intense shiny finish and with oil it just looks... greasy.

I think the OP meant the MSF naturals, not the one's like Shimpagne or Warmed which do have the frosty finish.

The MSF naturals are great but dont' give much coverage since it's more of a finishing powder than a foundation. It'd be great to brush over your face if you just want to look polished tho.

Right now I'm loving the Mineralized Loose SPF foundation. It gives a great glowy look without looking one bit greasy and gives decent coverage. Not like SFF, but medium coverage, enough to even you out well. But the colouring might be off for some as it tends to be yellow. It's great for me as a Chinese NC30 tho! Check out the colour story thread for more reviews.

I can't say much about tinted moisturizers b/c powder is the way to go for my oily face. It'd be great to find one that works for you b/c it'll be much easier than applying actual foundation, esp. when you want to jet out the door for the next summer event!

Kiseki

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlahWah
I think the OP meant the MSF naturals, not the one's like Shimpagne or Warmed which do have the frosty finish.

MSF Naturals still have a glowy almost metallic finish that in my opinion doesn't flatter oily complexions (like my own).

User49

I like to just use a bit of conealor where needed and some blot powder. But I'd also like to try Estee Lauder Double Wear Light... x

BlahWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiseki
MSF Naturals still have a glowy almost metallic finish that in my opinion doesn't flatter oily complexions (like my own).

I guess it's just preference and how it works on your own skin, then, because my face gets quite oily as well. Some people love SFF b/c it's matte and natural but I find it makes my face look like a mask! I find MSFN's glowy but not quite as frosty as you've described, altho it does become something of a greasy mess on a really humid day which is why I'm hoping Mineralized Loose will be the answer to my prayers!

xiahe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiramisu
I second the remember that tinted moisturizer is sheer, but it feels light and nice in the summer months.

For a cheaper alternative, I think that Neutrogena's Healthy Skin tinted moisturizer (if you can handle some retinols-- it does have SPF 15 in it, not much, but something) is really great. This is relatively inexpensive (like $12 a bottle) and works well-stays on without ever looking made up. I use it often and really love that it doesn't cause my skin any breakouts either.
I do love NARS pressed powder too on it's own too in the summer as a powder alternative, but it's kind of pricey (but worth it imo)

Not the healthy skin enhancer, I hope! Although I really like it (I like the coverage and I like the way it feels and it doesn't break me out, either) it has no staying power...sweating (or water) makes it run and then you have little "makeup lines" on your face - not good at all!
thmbdn.gif

glassy girl

I like to use mac studio fix powder 4 the summer i use a light hand since in the summer i like my skin to breath and studio fix has great coverage as well. Tint is nice 4 the summer too but i like more coverage just depends what kind of coverage ur going for.

tiramisu

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiahe
Not the healthy skin enhancer, I hope! Although I really like it (I like the coverage and I like the way it feels and it doesn't break me out, either) it has no staying power...sweating (or water) makes it run and then you have little "makeup lines" on your face - not good at all!
thmbdn.gif

I had to look at my bottle even though I use it all the time LOL--it is the healthy skin enhancer... but oddly enough, I never have the problems you describe and I am a water sports nut in the summer!!-- I play till there's nothing on my face but H20 and hopefully some good sunscreen.

Possibly it may have something to do with the fact that I am getting older (in my 30's) and don't have oily skin issues to add to the humidity/heat anymore like I did in my teens/early 20's??
th_dunno.gif

Latest posts