Foundation Horror!!! - Select SPF Foundation

Smiles7

Ok, so here's my story ladies (sorry if it's a bit long)...the other day I went to the Mac counter and purchased Select Spf foundation and MSF natural. I've tried Mac foundation before and it oxidized on me (don't remember the formulation cause it was a realllly long time ago), but I thought I'd give it a try again since they have such a wide range of colors. I don't wear foundation daily, only on days I go out with friends or whatever.

I wore the foundation and powder out last night and today I find my face looking completely, totally and utterly gross. I have these nasty dry, kinda scaly brown/discolored looking patches on my face (on my cheeks and chin in particular). My skin also looks super dull...like BLAH! AND it looks super, super oily and funky!
cry.gif

I'm so, so upset! The foundation matches my color almost perfectly and the coverage is just right too (I apply it lightly). I know it has to be the foundation because that's the only new thing I put on my face. Ugh, I don't want to discontinue using it but what else am I suppose to do?
th_dunno.gif

PBunnieP

Re: Foundation Horror!!!

In all honesty I dont like the Select SPF that much... I've gotten a sample of it and just found it too DULL. And I feel that it catches on the -flakes- on my face...every-single- one of them. If you really want to CONTINUE using this foundation, my only useful suggestion would be to exfoliate and moisturize REALLY WELL. Or try a spray after you've put on the foundation to even things out. Good luck!

Beauty For Ashe

I agree...you should definitely clean, tone, and moisturize your face before applying foundation. You should do it daily but definitely if you wear foundation. A good foundation to try is the Studio Tech. It's creamy and a little wet. You only need a little, so take the one you have back and exchange for Studio Tech.

BlahWah

I ditto the skincare tips above. Not to you don't do them, just to make sure you do. You may also want to skip the powder then, since it sounds like your skin is dry. I've been okay with Select spf but I need my skin to be a bit mattified since it's oily. Maybe Hyperreal would be a better choice then?

CoralBlast

if you had a bad reaction stop using it because it will get worse. i didn't know prep +prime was breaking me out, it took me a week to find out and three months to clear up!!!

Smiles7

Thank you ladies for the tips! I do all that cleansing, toning and moisturizing stuff. I never had these patches before and when I put on the foundation there was none of that on my face. It was the next day when I woke up that these suckers appeared; that's why I'm assuming it's the foundation. So, sadly, I'm going to have to stop using this.

Smiles7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlahWah
I ditto the skincare tips above. Not to you don't do them, just to make sure you do. You may also want to skip the powder then, since it sounds like your skin is dry. I've been okay with Select spf but I need my skin to be a bit mattified since it's oily. Maybe Hyperreal would be a better choice then?

The MA at the counter said Hyperreal would make my skin more oily.
th_dunno.gif
She suggested the Select Spf since I have good skin, well had now.
ssad.gif

II3rinII

select spf is one of our only liquid foundations that has bismuth oxychloride, which causes some allergies or irratations. i loved how it looked on me but it didnt react well with my skin. studio fix fluid, mineralize and hyperreal do not contain it, so try one of those.

sharkbytes

I wasn't wild about the select spf when I tried it either, though I didn't have an adverse reaction. Just wasn't pleased with the coverage and the overall feel of it. I tried Face and Body, and I looooove it!

rachybloom

Ugh I know what you mean! Despite all the MAC Foundation horror stories (although some people have amazing luck with it!) I decided to try the Mineralize Satinfinish. I used it for three or four days and was in love. And then I broke out. EVERYWHERE. I'm so upset because it looks SO pretty and my skin looks absolutely flawless.. AND NATURAL! It doesn't even look like it's makeup, it just looks like I have perfect skin. But it's so not worth it if I'm going to break out everytime I use it.. My skin is still breaking ou and I haven't used it in a week.

Definitely return it and get Laura Mercier or maybe Clinique. LM has a good range of colors too and I've never ever heard of any of her products causing any sort of allergic reaction! Also, Clinique tests all of their products for allergies and they don't use any harmful ingredients. Lay off foundation for a couple of days, or as long as you can manage. Get some sort of calming cream too with limited ingredients!

BlahWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbytes
I wasn't wild about the select spf when I tried it either, though I didn't have an adverse reaction. Just wasn't pleased with the coverage and the overall feel of it. I tried Face and Body, and I looooove it!

Slightly OT but I sooo wanted F&B to work on me! Strange that Hyperreal didn't make me (much) more oily but F&B did. I'm glad I just got a sample. Oh, and one of the Strobe Liquid too, which livens up Select spf a bit.
thmbup.gif

SMMY

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachybloom
Ugh I know what you mean! Despite all the MAC Foundation horror stories (although some people have amazing luck with it!) I decided to try the Mineralize Satinfinish. I used it for three or four days and was in love. And then I broke out. EVERYWHERE. I'm so upset because it looks SO pretty and my skin looks absolutely flawless.. AND NATURAL! It doesn't even look like it's makeup, it just looks like I have perfect skin. But it's so not worth it if I'm going to break out everytime I use it.. My skin is still breaking ou and I haven't used it in a week.

Definitely return it and get Laura Mercier or maybe Clinique. LM has a good range of colors too and I've never ever heard of any of her products causing any sort of allergic reaction! Also, Clinique tests all of their products for allergies and they don't use any harmful ingredients. Lay off foundation for a couple of days, or as long as you can manage. Get some sort of calming cream too with limited ingredients!

LM mineral makeup has bismuth oxychloride in it as well, just like MAC's Mineralize skinfinish.
ssad.gif

rachybloom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMMY
LM mineral makeup has bismuth oxychloride in it as well, just like MAC's Mineralize skinfinish.
ssad.gif

:[ That's unfortunate! I've been using her stuff for almost a year and have never broken out from it.. Must have been something else in Mineralize Satinfinish?

HeatherAnn

I've not tried MAC foundations yet, but I hop around a lot trying liquids, powders, creams, minerals, whatever catches my eye at that moment & I've found that each time I switch i break out for about a week and then have no more problems after that. It's like my skin needs time to adjust to each new formula.

Smiles7

I went to Sephora today and purchased two things. One of things I bought was the Smashbox's Master's Class Complexion Perfection Kit and Lorac's Oil Free foundation. I don't know how the Smashbox foundation will match but I thought it was a great deal
tong.gif
. The Lorac foundation, I have to say, appeared to be a good match, but you know it looks different in every lighting so we'll see how it works out.

Latest posts