Foundation or not?

sadeyes32

I've always been wondering about this...

Do some foundations really help even out your skin? Or is it better to not wear anything on your face at all and not clog up any pores?

I do have blemishes and scars on my face here and there, but I could also go out without foundation and I would still be okay. I'm not sure if it's just mental or not, but to me, it seems like if you're not putting anything on your face...that would be better for your skin?

Am I making sense? Does anyone know the answer?

BTW - This is my first post. I've been reading postings on Specktra for a couple of months now and it's been a bad influence!!! I've spent lotsa $$$ on MAC and Mliani stuff.
lol.gif
Never owned any MAC e/s before Specktra.

swaly

In general, it's not healthy to wear foundation. It's always preferable to let your skin breathe naturally. However, a lot of people also fail to follow an ideal skin regimen without foundation...for a lot of people, they don't get adequate moisturization, SPF or vitamin-enrichment without foundation. I use the 'cleanest' possible makeup I can find at the drugstore that is non-comedogenic (won't clog pores), so it doesn't do too much damage, but I find that over the holidays when I'm home makeup-free several days in a row, my skin looks MUCH better than when I'm wearing foundation every day.

user3

It all depends on your skin.

Foundation acts like a barrier from things that might irritate your skin. When not wearing foundation you might be touching your face more which can cause clogged pores on some people. Plus there are pollutants that add to the problem. So when you have foundation on it helps protect your skin.
Yes, wearing some foundations can cause more skin problems. This is mainly due to the ingredients in the foundations. They are causing your pores to become clogged or they might be too harsh for your skin. When using the right foundation you will not have these problems.
The main problem many people face is trying to find a few or even one foundation that works for you. Believe me I have searched for years! While you may find one that does not break you out it may not stay on very well or it could not cover like you need.

Sadly, the only way to find the right foundation is to test them out.
Also getting to know your skin and what works best for you.

As for SPF, I personally have not found an SPF that will not break me out so I have to use foundation with SPF in it. This way I get some UV coverage. Some is better than none.

Now about your skin. While there are great discovers to help clear up your skin many of them cost too much money for the average person. So while some of us might not have the luxury of having a scar free, acne free face the foundation can give us that look. While it is important to let your skin "breath" keep in mind that as long as you take your makeup off at night you are giving your skin that time that it needs.

If you can find a Mineral foundation that works for you that would be ideal.
I rec trying Bare Minerals or Aromaleigh. You can find Aromaleigh at Aromaleigh.com. It's great for those that love BE but have had a problem with the itching from BE. Aromaleigh is cheaper and they offer samples.

Melisanda

IMHO there's nothing inherently bad about foundation. Of course some might make your skin break out but there are so many different foundations with different ingredients out there that everyone should find some that work for them. And as Zap2it said, foundation also protects the skin from air pollutants and from UV rays if it has sunscreen.
And about skin not being able to breathe with foundation on-skin breaths through blood-just like any other organ blood supplies skin with everything it needs including oxygen.

Isis

The ladies that have posed above have certainly stated some valid points so I'm not going to be a broken record and repeat it all again.
It all comes down to personal prefference as to what works and doesn't for you. There are SO many different formulations out there that I'm sure you'll find soemthing that will work just right for when you do want some coverage. You just need to find the right ballance of concealor, foundation, powder, etc to even out your tone. And it's perfectlly fine not to wear any at all! It's just going to take time to figure it out.
99% of the time I never wear it
smiles.gif
Then again I don't need it either.