Freelance for the Summer?

pahblov

Hi everyone!

I was at my local MAC today and one of the MAs told me I should consider working for MAC either as a part-time MA or Freelance. I would love to work for them, but I live in Montreal, QC right now, and my French is not really up to working world level, so I was thinking about trying to get an on-call position in my (English speaking) hometown for the summer. My question is if this is possible. I understand that the interviewing process is lengthy and frightening, and it seems like it isn't really a "summer job" kind of gig, but I just wanted to check with the pros!

Much love and thanks for your answers!

chocolategoddes

i'm not a pro but you don't have anything to lose. go for it. you might surprise yourself and end up working there longer than you expected. good luck
smiles.gif

pahblov

Thank you! My major concern though is if they would hire someone knowing that they could only work for the summer. I can't really work there for longer than my four months off because I would have to go back to Montreal for school, where I would again be faced with my language problem. Thanks for the encouragement though!

amoona

To be honest I know that they wouldn't hire you here to freelance only for the summer. BUT my region is very very competitive so it might be totally different where you live. I say you talk to a manager in your area first so you don't waste your time with the interview process. It is a pretty long process.

mindlessgapgirl

Two years ago, in March, I was hired as a freelance based out of St. Catharines, ON. I actually didn't do any work UNTIL the summer (and it tapered off come September), and it wasn't even at my location, i kept getting called into Square One in Mississauga. So you could always apply at your local counter, and mention that you move around during the year and would love a job that is flexible - if you are on the on call list you will get calls from various MACs so you can pick and choose. You don't even have to tell them you are going back to Montreal until later on in the summer. It's worth a shot to try. Good luck
smiles.gif

GreekChick

Hey there! I work at a MAC counter in Montreal, and depending on who interviews you, you might be able to ger the job. Downtown Montreal is mostly anglophone. As long as you know the basics, and as long as you show that you're really making the effort, they might give you a chance. If you get interviewed at the Bay Downtown, the interview will probably be in English. Ogilvy's however might completely be different.

pahblov

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekChick
Hey there! I work at a MAC counter in Montreal, and depending on who interviews you, you might be able to ger the job. Downtown Montreal is mostly anglophone. As long as you know the basics, and as long as you show that you're really making the effort, they might give you a chance. If you get interviewed at the Bay Downtown, the interview will probably be in English. Ogilvy's however might completely be different.

Thanks! I'll definitely keep this in mind. I haven't been in Montreal for too long and figured that the whole bilingual thing was pretty strict. Nice to see a fellow Montrealer on here!