Freelancer to Fulltime (MAC Cosmetics) Questions

I am currently a freelancer for Mac. But I have only worked twice, I have been doing it for about 4months.

They called me another time but I have a full time job so i was unable to go...

I recently freelanced for Nordstrom during the "Hey Sailor" launch and did great! There wasnt a manager around, but one of the senior artists told me they had two positions available. I know Nordstrom works differently then a Mac store or counter...
But is there a way to apply for one of those openings?

Or should I just try to pick up hours there more and hope they offer me something?
(I also know its rare that Nordstrom gets freelancing hours )

I would definitely leave my job for a perm position, but need something to get me by in the meantime :)
Any advice is appreciated.!
amuse.gif

paparazziboy

you apply at nordstroms. because you are a nordstrom employee not a mac employee you just work at the mac counter your paycheck comes from them not estee lauder

minjaay

Hi to everybody on Specktra! Last Friday, I had my interview/demo and got hired for a Freelance/On-Call position! I have never been happier in my life!
yahoo.gif
The process was so fun & it was not as scary as I thought! And I have to say before my interview, I was exploring questions and answers all over Specktra's threads and post to get some tips and answers. So thank you to everybody who replied on other threads.
heart.gif

After going through thr whole process, I learned that every single MAC interview is different. My experience was awesome! If anybody has questions, I would love to help out.

Anyways, I completed paperwork and all that stuff that day, so now I'm playing the waiting game to hear back. Any tips on what I can do now? Obviously I wait to hear from the manager to get my employee number, but do you guys recommend that I call to the stores around my area to see if they have any openings? And I want a permanent position, so any tips for that? The recruiter I spoke with told me just to work hard as freelance and it could happen that way. Another question I had was that I know permanent artists get training, updates, etc. As a freelancer, am I expected to learn about, purchase, and know about all the products I'm unfarmiliar with on my own? Just so many questions on where to start now! I'm so excited to work my first day. :) THANKS!

macgrrl27

What store managers look for in a FLOC artist (that will eventually lead to an artist becoming a permanent hire):

• Dress professionally (you do not need to be over the top uber trendy)
  • make sure that you have polished makeup on...call ahead to the store to see if there is a "look" for the day. If you don't have the shades fake them.
  • DO RESEARCH! If there is a new launch out, read about the inspiration behind it and what the colors look like.
  • Be early for your shift.
  • Dive in and help with everything...this includes cleaning and stocking. I will rarely call FLOC artists back if they act like they are above doing those things.
  • Execute make up applications in under 45 minutes (esp in high volume stores).
  • Strive for that $50 AUS and keep track of your sales....us managers look at that!!

those are just a few...

good luck!

xStarryEyedX

you apply at nordstroms. because you are a nordstrom employee not a mac employee you just work at the mac counter your paycheck comes from them not estee lauder
I would let the MAC counter manager know that you're applying also. Just so they look out for your application. :)