Friend freaked out on me.

Lil_D

OK here it goes I usually hate ranting but I am so pissed off at her that I have to.

Well, I have the love and passion for M.A.C make-up and the artistry and I have invested a ton on money for my hobby. Last week I was in a music video but the make-up artist sketched out so I had to run home and get my huge duffel bag full of make-up. When I brought my make-up she wanted to check out the colors that I have so I let her look at them. (oh yeah and I'm an aspiring make-up artist.)

Anyways, today she calls me up and says she wants me to do her and couple of her friends make-up for a photo shoot. I told her that I want to first invest in a make-up kit before I do anyone's make-up... She says "why don't you want to use your brushes or make-up?" I said "first of all there are a ton of bacteria I refuse to let anyone use my brushes or my make-up." This girl goes off on me ripping me a brand new asshole. Telling me that aspiring make-up artists take their personal make-up and brushes to use on the models. She says with all the make-up I have that I won't use all of it and it's imposible to use all of them. How rude of her.

My question is do make-up artists really use their own makeup and brushes?

Thanks for listening.

~D

Indigowaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil_D
OK here it goes I usually hate ranting but I am so pissed off at her that I have to.

Well, I have the love and passion for M.A.C make-up and the artistry and I have invested a ton on money for my hobby. Last week I was in a music video but the make-up artist sketched out so I had to run home and get my huge duffel bag full of make-up. When I brought my make-up she wanted to check out the colors that I have so I let her look at them. (oh yeah and I'm an aspiring make-up artist.)

Anyways, today she calls me up and says she wants me to do her and couple of her friends make-up for a photo shoot. I told her that I want to first invest in a make-up kit before I do anyone's make-up... She says "why don't you want to use your brushes or make-up?" I said "first of all there are a ton of bacteria I refuse to let anyone use my brushes or my make-up." This girl goes off on me ripping me a brand new asshole. Telling me that aspiring make-up artists take their personal make-up and brushes to use on the models. She says with all the make-up I have that I won't use all of it and it's imposible to use all of them. How rude of her.

My question is do make-up artists really use their own makeup and brushes?

Thanks for listening.

~D

I thought about this same thing today. As far as brushes I would say you could if you cleaned them with a brush cleaning solution that contained something that kills bacteria. However, though I'm not an artist, I would think they wouldn't want to let someone else use their personal makeup but a makeup kit. That's just MHO.

amoona

What a bitch lol. I mean I'm sure many artists do use their own personal stash if they know how to properly sanitize everything ... i.e. the way MAC teachers their artists to sanitize everything. However it is your personal choice, because there also is a lot of artists who have a seperate kit.

Plus if you're doing a video or photo shoot or fashion show I honestly don't think you have the time to properly sanitize everything. I'd just suggest you never do any work for this girl.

n_c

I dont think it would be a good idea to use your personal stash on others, I wouldn't.

Lil_D

Indigowaters, no she wasn't gonna pay me anything. She's a cheapskate. I agree it was unecissary for her to freak out on me. I don't know what her deal is.

Amoona, I'd feel more secure if I have my own kit. Yeah I agree she was a bitch.

and everyone thanks for replying.

Beauty Mark

I think it depends on the artist as to what they use on whom.

More importantly, it's your property and your business with whatever you do with it.

amoona

See if you personally want your own seperate MUA kit then that's your business. Like I said before some people do some people don't. Sucks that she's your friend and couldn't accept that.

maxcat

What a nasty *nasty* woman. She has no right to tell you what you should be doing. If she's that great, why were you doing the makeup???

The brushes thing - it's a personal choice... wash them first in brush cleanser, then in hot water with gentle shampoo and lay flat to dry. They're clean and ready to go again. Most artists have multiples of their key brushes for when they're doing a number of people.
But I keep things like mascaras, lipglosses, etc etc - anything you can't sanitize - totally seperate, and use disposable wands. You really don't wanna know where some of those models have been.
If you search the threads, I'm sure you could get a list of all the sanitizing procedures.
Good luck, don't let this nutbar get you down.

Lil_D

Hey MaxCat~ Thank you for the kind words. I am over it I'm not pissed off anymore. I'd rather be safe and invest in a kit soon I seriously don't want to catch a nasty virus.

lara

MA's: Do you use the makeup in your kit for yourself?: http://specktra.net/showthread.php?t=52022

That thread should give you some ideas about how to manage a personal/work split kit. It's pretty normal to keep a split kit, but considering that yours was a personal kit first, you have a lot of contaminated products already that aren't suitable for client use.

Hawkeye

EW! EW! EW!
NO! *takes makeupbrush and taps on the head of Lil D's friend* NO! BAD!
EEK
Most makeup artist-that are actually concerned about their skin NEVER EVER EVER use their own personal makeup brushes on other people. It's just not done. It's not professional it's yeah you did the right thing.

Don't worry-I know your not mad anymore but just be safe and not sorry. And I seriously would never do any favors for her again until she understands this.

MAC_Whore

It is personal preference. Plain as that. You told her your preference. Can't see why she had the tantrum. Sorry you had to deal with that.

Personally, I ALWAYS seperate my kit. I never, ever use my personal stuff on freelance jobs. IMO, it is just safer and good sense.
smiles.gif

Raerae

Heh... I only use my stuff on myself... And while I've had my MU done on occasion at the store, i typically limit it to foundation only so I can wear a color b4 buying it.

Things I use on me, only I use. I wont let friends who ask to use lipglass share mine, i tell them no. I compare it to sharing a toothbrush.

asnbrb

Punch her in the face and say that you gave her a smokey eye. Then do it to the other side-- but make sure that they match.

Anyway, it is your choice whether you want to do her a FAVOR and do their makeup. Personally, I wouldn't do it.