Fun Date Ideas & Keeping the Spark Alive

abbyquack

Hi guys, my husband and I have started doing a date night one night a week. It's been a lot of fun, and it's so nice to have that quality time with him despite our busy schedules. The problem for me, is that we take turns deciding what to do, and he always seems to have fun ideas, but mine are pretty boring- like watching a movie boring.
lol.gif

Anyways I am wondering if you have any good date ideas? We do live in a small town, so some date ideas wouldn't apply (like we don't have a pool or a bookstore, and most places actually close at 6pm).

Also, I want to start putting a little thought or effort into my daily interactions with him, and was wondering what are some things you do to keep the spark alive? Or things I could do to go the extra mile? Lately things have been really good and I don't want to lose any of that. I'm thinking of little notes left around the house or stuff like that, but I also don't want to be too corny- and those things are cute for girls, but guys don't usually appreciate it in the same way.
smiles.gif

Well, any ideas that you have would be greatly appreciated!

bellaboomboom

I must tell you that my hubby LOVES the little notes I leave for him. There is one he taped to his closet that I wrote YEARS ago that says: "I love you so very much!" He says it makes him happy to see that when he opens that door. He also saved all of the little love books I bought for him from 16 years ago when we started dating, for example, I just went into his private room - his music room (he is a musician) and I love that he kept the "Passionate Peanuts - I love you" book I got him for one Valentine's Day. The date of my note inside is 2/14/97. I am not saying all men are the same but it does not help to try little notes and such !!!!! Maybe you can leave one in his closet or in his car???

As I said, he is a musician so he is usually busy on weekends which stinks, but we try to have a date night during the week where we go to a favorite restaurant and have a nice dinner and chat. Or when he does have a weekend day off, we just stay home and BBQ and watch a movie. We are not into clubs or any of that - especially since he plays out at bars a lot. Tell him you love him every day. And give him a kiss. Call on him to say hi when he's not home - just saying you miss him. I am sure he knows how much you care for him.

And we all get into the feeling where we need to do something more as a couple. We are thinking of going into Philly on Sat. just to do something different. Is there a place that you both can travel to that is not too far where you can see the sights and get lunch or dinner? We've been to the same places many times, but sometimes you just need to get out and not have a plan for the day...just be able to wing it.

Good luck & much happiness to you!

abbyquack

Thanks for your advice! I will try notes...he's not super sentimental, and might end up throwing them away after reading them (haha, men) but I hope the effort will make a difference.

We do have a town that's about 14 miles away (by boat though) that I have wanted to visit- never been there in 4 summers!- but we usually don't time. I am thinking of maybe making a weekend of it.

Thanks again
smiles.gif

LMD84

me and nick have been talking about this kind of thing recently because i was saying how we never do anything and i was worried that things would get boring. he came up with the idea of learning something together - like going to a judo class once a week, horse riding lessons, swimming - things where we are doing new things but can also have a laugh at the same time.
smiles.gif

and i don't leave him notes but i did make him a little 'i love you card' with some stickers and sequins and stuff which he thought was cute and put on his desk
smiles.gif

kaliraksha

I started writing notes on the mirror of our restroom at first and then later he would leave me notes back. Or I'll write him a note and stick it in his wallet for him to find at a later time.

I love date night. I have a few ideas... but I don't know how well they work in Alaska versus Austin. Here there is a lot of outdoors stuff to do.

But, I'm a fan of themed date nights... like let's eat French food and watch a French movie. You guys must have a gorgeous view of the stars at night... star watching picnic? Or maybe you can go to a game hall and play pool?

Honestly, I've transitioned our date nights to be at home most recently... and we get a kick out of cooking a fancy meal together or making each other something that the other will love. There are many variations on at home date nights. Like board games?

I wish MTV was paying for my dates... I love the kooky ideas they would come up with on those blind date shows.

Simply Elegant

Some of these may not apply but might help out others too, but I love picnics, go to a new restaurant, drive in movie, take a cooking class, go for walk somewhere new, get a room in a town nearby for breakfast in bed, camping

abbyquack

Thank you all for your ideas! It has given me a little food for thought. I am going to start leaving a few notes...even if he doesn't reciprocate, that's not why I'm doing it anyways
smiles.gif
And kaliraksha, playing pool is a great idea- I think we do have a pool table in town- it's a very small town
greengrin.gif
Unfortunately it doesn't get very dark here at all (land of the midnight sun!) so no stars, but maybe a nice walk or evening bike ride would be fun.

Anyways thanks- and if anyone else has any more ideas I'm all ears!
yes.gif

kaliraksha

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbyquack
T Unfortunately it doesn't get very dark here at all (land of the midnight sun!) so no stars, but maybe a nice walk or evening bike ride would be fun.

Cool, I always thought that you guys had a counterpart time of year when it was dark more often than light? Do different areas of Alaska get varying amounts of daylight?

Cydonian

Picnic in the park! I know it's summer and overbearingly hot, but you could wait until the sun starts going down and that way it's sunset-y and romantic
smiles.gif

I also like getting all dressed up and just having a meal at home. Make the table and food all fancy just like you're going out!

abbyquack

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliraksha
Cool, I always thought that you guys had a counterpart time of year when it was dark more often than light? Do different areas of Alaska get varying amounts of daylight?

Yea in the winter it is pretty much always dark here...good thing is I am only here for the summer!
lol.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cydonian
Picnic in the park! I know it's summer and overbearingly hot, but you could wait until the sun starts going down and that way it's sunset-y and romantic
smiles.gif

I also like getting all dressed up and just having a meal at home. Make the table and food all fancy just like you're going out!

That sounds like a really wonderful idea...the only problem I am currently facing is that, believe it or not, it's quite cold here lately- rainy and cloudy and maybe 50 degrees
ssad.gif
I wish "overbearingly hot" was my problem right now!
yes.gif

Latest posts