"Ganguro"....how did this ever become a popular look????

Sushi~Flower

I was asked if I could do Ganguro make up for a shoot....I recall hearing the term and seeing the images at the spring update for "Quite Cute". Came home did a little research...what were they thinking??!!!! It's like taking the uber fake tan from the Jersey shore adding Vegas lashes and rhinestones...oh and that white lipstick! ...well before I attempted this on the day of the shoot thought I would give it a try....never thought I would see the day that my NW 20 would be NC 45....
Think for photography purposes I will need to make the white under my eyes more pronounced..

So this is one of the many images I had to work from....

This will be a scary product list, but here goes:

Face:
Studio Fix NC 45
MIneralize Skin Finish Medium Deep
Gold Deposit
Invisible Set Powder

Eyes:
Pure White Paint Stick
Studio Fix Powder -Shivering White
Frost Pigment
Carbon Eye Shadow
Gentle Fume Eye Shadow
Passionate Eye Shadow
Sushi Flower Eye Shadow
Black Track Fluid Line
Chromagraphic Pencil Pure White
Reflects Teal
Lingering Brow Pencil
# 6 Lashes top & bottom
False Lashes Mascara
*An assortment of plastic gems from the craft store affixed with DUO

Lips:
Chromagraphic Pencil Pure White
Paint Stick Pure White
Reflects Teal

and a whole lotta MAC wipes! :)

rockin

Not a look I'd ever go for LOL. Those girls in the top picture make me think of "panda in reverse/negative"

Vixstar

Whilst this look isn't for me (and scares me a bit!!), I think your work is brilliant - you capture the look really well.

I think you're right, the white under your eyes could be a bit more pronounced - it does look bold already though! Have you thought about adding coloured lashes or even fake hair/fringe too?

m_3

I agree that its not my kind of look, but you did a great job of recreating it. Do people go out like this in real life or is part of a costume?

ShesAFoxyLady

Great job of recreating the look :)

As much as its not a look you would want to wear, I can appreciate that the makeup has actually been 'applied' well in those 2 photos of real ganguro girls - they have obviously taken the time to apply it well (blending, placement etc), even though the colours are completely OTT!!!

P.S... I agree that the white needs to be more pronounced, and perhaps your foundation even darker
icon_eek.gif

Khalia25

LOL. Those picture are an extreme form. You don't usually see it to that extent on the streets in Japan. But there are many girls walking around with the toned down version...mainly a super tanned face, white lips, mega liner and falsies and blonde hair.

I left Japan in '93. Japanese are masters of imitation, and there were many Japanese men walking around trying to look like Tupac, and the girls were trying to look black. They would perm their hair to form super tight curls, tan their skin, wear colored contacts, etc.

And then it seemed like it morphed into the "ganguro" and "gyaru" looks. I still go back to visit Japan every year or every other year.

I think it's cute...it's a form of expression.

Nevertheless, I think you did a good job. You'd make a perfect ganguro for Halloween! :)