Gel or Acrylic Nails?

NatalieMT

I really want to get either gel or acrylic nails. I known a lot of salons in my area do the bio sculpture gels so I'm most interested in those. At the moment my natural nails aren't that bad but some of them have a tendency to split so I can't ever get them that long.

So can anyone tell me a little bit about either, if you've had them. Which one you believe is better and its benefits? What kind of finish you get with either? Maybe something about the upkeep and cost?

Anything that would be of any help would be great. Thanks!
smiles.gif
xxx

xsnowwhite

I have never had gels, but I love the acrylics I get.
At my salon they are $23 dollars for a full set(I get the regular white tip french manicure style) and I think it costs like $9 or $10 for a rebase. I usually only get mine for special occasions so I don't rebase them, but I have before after about 3 weeks. The ones I get are shiny and I love how shiny they are they look very good from start to finish. I think acrylics are cheaper and if you have never had either they would probably be a good starting point.

sofabean

i've never had gels either, but i just got some acrylics like 2 days ago. i always get the ones with white tip so they don't have to airbrush or paint on the french tip. (usually airbrush stuff come off on me)

i just know that silk nails sucks. even the person doing my nails admitted to it.

glam8babe

My boyfriends sister is a nail tech and she did acrylics for my holidays last year.. they stayed on the full holiday plus a month after, then i got infills and they lasted about 5-6 more weeks then i had to take them off because i was gonna start beauty therapy at college (which wasnt allowed) so deffo acrylics! they wont ruin your nails if you remove them properly.. some people just rip them off when they are bored and complain that their nails are ruined.
Im gonna get more acrylics put on soon for my hols again
greengrin.gif

ohh and my nails still grew (longer than normal) underneath the acrylics so when i took them off i had gorgeous long natural nails

pat

I always get gel because they last longer and stay shiny for a long time. They are a bit more expensive ($10 more in my area), but I don't mind. She applies the acrylic first, then the gel on top.

I recommend that if you are getting a french set, go with gel. If you are coloring your nail, get acrylic.

What I have done and works for me is that when I get my nails done by a nail tech, I ask them to make apply the acrylic thinnly. What this does is that it kinda gives it a more natural look, and doesn't chip/lift on the sides. HTH!

I love getting my nails done!

blindpassion

Acrylics imo.
My mom had gels for a few months against my advice and had to switch over to acrylics eventually because... they broke all the time, they didnt stay looking as fresh, and they cracked like no tomorrow.

In my opinion, if you arent going to spring to get a GOOD set of nails done (not from one of those places in the mall that look like sweatshops in China - 100% no offence meant by that) but if youre not going to spring for a good set, it doesn't matter which kind of you get.

But if you want strong, healthy, beautiful, LONG LASTING nails, go to a trained experienced tech at a reputable salon.
The product used is very important, if the product isnt good quality, the nails (gel or acrylic) wont hold up.

Having many friends with nails ive found that the Gel or Acrylic decision is a very personal one. Try one, and if its not working for you, you know you need to switch
smiles.gif
everyone seems to prefer something different when it comes to nails.

On that note, I had a set of gels put on before my acrylics and almost chewed them off I hated them so much.
Ive now have acrylics for a year straight.
Its a really personal thing
smiles.gif

I get my acrylics filled every three weeks. Most people opt for french tips but I usually do a different color everytime (at the moment have Neon Pink, I guess Im welcoming Spring haha)

When it comes to acrlyic (and possibly / probably as well with gels) you can ask your nail tech to basically do anything you want, long nails, short nails, thick nails, thin nails, rounded edges, square edges, pink acrylic, blue acrylic, silver acrylic, sparkly acrylic etc etc etc. As far as the tips go, whether you're getting white tips or colored tips, I'd suggest finding a tech who uses white and colored acrylics, instead of airbrushing. Airbrushing is when they use clear acrylic all over your nail to form the general shape and then they paint the white tips on, dont do this, they dont hold up obviously since its just a layer of paint. Opt to find a tech who uses actual White or Colored powders, so it dries as that color and there is no airbrushing needed
smiles.gif

In the year that I've had acrlycs Ive never once broken one, and believe me, I go hard on my nails.
If you find a good tech with good product, youll save yourself a lot of wasted gas going to repair broken nails.

Good luck, I hope this helps!

NatalieMT

Thankyou so much everyone - it definitely seems as if most of you rate acrylics over gels. I'm going to try and get an appointment at a salon as soon as I can and one that looks reputable. As they say you get what you pay for really.

It's good to know acrylics don't wreck your nails and when removed leave a lovely long nail underneath. The fact that there are so many different finishes you can get is great too, I think that's definitely a big factor for me.

I'll let everyone know how they turn out!
thmbup.gif

clslvr6spd

I do have to say, if they are going to drill you will have damage. Unless they are going to lightly file your nail bed. But most nail salons use drills (at least up here). I have gels when I get pink and white powder & I personally think they look better longer & hold up great (I got to cosmetology school and I wash my hands a bazillion times a day), but it took me years to find a great nail tech and I have been with her for 4 years and I have no lifting and beautiful nails 4 weeks after they are done.
If you want nail polish on your nails go with acrylic.
This is just my opinion.
winks.gif
Have fun!!

MiCHiE

It depends on your lifestyle and how hard you are on your nails. True gels----and liquid and powder with a gel top coat is NOT a true gel nail----are more flexible than traditional liquid and powder nails. You are most likely NOT going to get a true set of gel nails unless you went to a reputable nail tech, not some corner $15-per-set-of-nails place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty0411
I always get gel because they last longer and stay shiny for a long time. They are a bit more expensive ($10 more in my area), but I don't mind. She applies the acrylic first, then the gel on top.

This is not gel nails. It's a gel top coat that you're being charged $10 for.

NatalieMT

Well trying to find anywhere in my area that does acrylics is proving virtually impossible. Everywhere does bio sculpture gels - they seem popular.

I might go with those first, I do like to paint my nails but I think the pink and white tips could look really classy and subtle too.

blindpassion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥MiCHiE♥
It depends on your lifestyle and how hard you are on your nails. True gels----and liquid and powder with a gel top coat is NOT a true gel nail----are more flexible than traditional liquid and powder nails. You are most likely NOT going to get a true set of gel nails unless you went to a reputable nail tech, not some corner $15-per-set-of-nails place.

This is not gel nails. It's a gel top coat that you're being charged $10 for.

you're exactly right
its a gel topcoat ontop of acrylic nails
not gel nails.

MAC_Whore

I do acrylics because I am fairly hard on my nails and the acrylics hold up to it. I can go 2 weeks between rebalances without touching up, filing or dealing with a broken nail. Best beauty decision ever. The most important thing is finding a good manicurist. That makes a huge difference.

Hikaru-chan

I would go with gels, far better than acrylics in terms of durability and look way more natural.

Bio Sculpture are IMO the best you can get as far as gel enhancements go.
The are strong and durable but flexible at the same time and cause no damage to the natural nail.

Acrylics, contrary to popular belief do not always last longer than gel. I'm a qualified nail tech and have done all available systems and gels are by far the best, most of my clients who have switched to gels get an extra couple of weeks of wear out of them and have said they would never switch back.
I personally use a combination of bio sculpture to protect the nail and calcium gel for added strength.

Have you got natural lenght to your nails? Cause if so bio sculpture can be used as a natural nail overlay too without the need for plastic tips.

Check out the website Bio Sculpture
It shows you all the colors and the different types of sculpting gels that they do.

If you do choose to have acrylics plese do not go to one of those little local backstreet salons that use drills to sand down your nail plates and use a substance called MMA to ruin your nails beyond repair.

Here an article about it: MMA - Salon Geek

BTW I'd just like to add that fibreglass/silk are rubbish so don't let anyone try and put those on your nails.

Let us know what you go for and how they turn out.

NatalieMT

Wow all those colours look beautiful, thankyou Hikaru-chan! You're evidently more than qualified and your post was very very helpful. I guess if everywhere in my area seems to do bio sculpture gels and nothing else, then the decision is made for me. I do have reasonably long nails so sounds ideal really.

I would have looked more into acrylics but it seems no beauty salons do them anymore. Maybe there's a reason for that I don't know.

Lalli

I had bio sculpture nails done from nails inc for my 21st and it looked like someone had just slapped on 10 layers of nail polish by the end of the night they were peeling

I had arcylics done last year but really regretted them as I later found out that using drills really isnt the best way but arcylics are what i would go for as they do look nice and last longer! i need to find a good salon who wont attack my nails with drills!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty0411

I recommend that if you are getting a french set, go with gel. If you are coloring your nail, get acrylic.

What I have done and works for me is that when I get my nails done by a nail tech, I ask them to make apply the acrylic thinnly. What this does is that it kinda gives it a more natural look, and doesn't chip/lift on the sides. HTH!

I love getting my nails done!

I agree with Ms patty.. I LOVE my gels. Its all Ive ever gotten for the past 2 years.. I admit, its very expensive here in Dallas, 40-50 bucks usually or go to a cheaper salon and get crappy quality. You cannot get color if u get gels. For me they put on a clear tip, use medium pink powder, soft white powder on my tips which I tell her to make a thin natural stripe and always get a square tip with rounded edges.. I've been getting my nails done for 12 yrs now and gels are the only kind I get TONS of compliments on.. They never chip or turn yellow!!

Vesu

Gels can be just as sturdy, it depends on what look you're after and what type of gel your tech uses. BioSculpture (which I started out in) is a more flexible gel. I use Akzentz and Young Nails which are quite different from BioSculpture. Yes, you can get colour if you get gels. They're just as versatile as acrylics. With the right care, both can last equally as long. It really depends on the wearer.

As for filing the nail bed, this should never happen. I realise it does, though, but that's poor practice.

MiCHiE

Quote:
Originally Posted by *lipglass_diva*
I agree with Ms patty.. I LOVE my gels. Its all Ive ever gotten for the past 2 years.. I admit, its very expensive here in Dallas, 40-50 bucks usually or go to a cheaper salon and get crappy quality. You cannot get color if u get gels. For me they put on a clear tip, use medium pink powder, soft white powder on my tips which I tell her to make a thin natural stripe and always get a square tip with rounded edges.. I've been getting my nails done for 12 yrs now and gels are the only kind I get TONS of compliments on.. They never chip or turn yellow!!

Is the person doing your nails using powder and gel? It sounds like you're getting L&P acrylics, not gels. Gel comes in a single pot and is in a gel form. Also, after almost every step of the gel process, the nails have to be cured under a UV lamp. If you're just sitting under the lamp at the end of the service, it's just a gel top coat.

mistella

I just got gels for the first time a few days ago, I used to get acrylic. Im still not sure what the difference is but I do like the look of gels better.