Georgetown Uni. takes down Religious symbols

MxAxC-_ATTACK

At the white house Request..

I suppose all the non-Catholic schools were booked
th_dunno.gif

Georgetown University Hid Religious Symbols at White House Request - First 100 Days of Presidency - Politics FOXNews.com

BEA2LS

they sold out.. i do not see the rage in him coming. i mean i know he has issues that the catholic church does not agree on but a president coming to speak is an honor. but covering symbols at a school which was built on a faith to me, is selling out.
i always considered myself to be on the liberal side and would be just as offended of this if it was requested of a non-christian religious based school.

concertina

I appreciate a President willing to be faith-neutral and not 'prefer' a single religion over another or even give the perception of preference.

Of course, as an Atheist, I have a 'unique' perspective on all things religous...

MACLovin

Oh please.. count on Fox News to blow everything Obama/the White house does out of proportion.
th_rolleye0014.gif
So what, is he now the Anti-christ because he didn't want religious symbols behind him during a Presidential address?

I don't really see the huge deal.. they wanted a neutral backdrop like during any other speech he makes. I'm sure if he went to any other religion-based venue with big, distracting signs and symbols to deliver a speech he would request the same.

I'm not sure why a lot of people are getting their knickers in a bunch over this. Is it really that big of a deal?? I fail to see the issue here..
hmm.gif

TISH1124

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACLovin
Is it really that big of a deal?? I fail to see the issue here..
hmm.gif

nope.gif
But people like to find something...Oh well....

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by concertina
I appreciate a President willing to be faith-neutral and not 'prefer' a single religion over another or even give the perception of preference.

Of course, as an Atheist, I have a 'unique' perspective on all things religous...

Quote:
Oh please.. count on Fox News to blow everything Obama/the White house does out of proportion.
th_rolleye0014.gif
So what, is he now the Anti-christ because he didn't want religious symbols behind him during a Presidential address?

I don't really see the huge deal.. they wanted a neutral backdrop like during any other speech he makes. I'm sure if he went to any other religion-based venue with big, distracting signs and symbols to deliver a speech he would request the same.

I'm not sure why a lot of people are getting their knickers in a bunch over this. Is it really that big of a deal?? I fail to see the issue here..
hmm.gif

Just a suggestion but...
Don't speak at a religious / non-'neutral' ground then? Send a release along that says something to the effect of
"We appreciate the opportunity to speak at your location, however in favor of keeping everyone on equal ground, we're going to pick a neutral ground that doesn't reflect any type of spiritual denomination over any other."

Makes LOTS more sense.

MxAxC-_ATTACK

Quote:
th_rolleye0014.gif

hmm.gif

Fox news is the only media that isn't completely suckling at Obama's Teet.

The big deal? Don't speak at a CATHOLIC school and have then REMOVE everything Catholic, Find another Non-Catholic school to preach at.

I hate the idea of America becoming a "Faithless Nation" I am certainly not a dedicated Catholic, but I do believe people should believe in something.

purrtykitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
Just a suggestion but...
Don't speak at a religious / non-'neutral' ground then? Send a release along that says something to the effect of
"We appreciate the opportunity to speak at your location, however in favor of keeping everyone on equal ground, we're going to pick a neutral ground that doesn't reflect any type of spiritual denomination over any other."

Makes LOTS more sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxAxC-_ATTACK
Fox news is the only media that isn't completely suckling at Obama's Teet.

The big deal? Don't speak at a CATHOLIC school and have then REMOVE everything Catholic, Find another Non-Catholic school to preach at.

I hate the idea of America becoming a "Faithless Nation" I am certainly not a dedicated Catholic, but I do believe people should believe in something.

EXACTLY!! I'm sure any public university would've been more than happy to welcome the President for his speech. I'm a little disappointed that Georgetown caved to the request.

Chikky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
Just a suggestion but...

Makes LOTS more sense.

Quote:

I hate the idea of America becoming a "Faithless Nation"

Quote:
EXACTLY!! I'm sure any public university would've been more than happy to welcome the President for his speech. I'm a little disappointed that Georgetown caved to the request.

Agreed, agreed, agreed.

I'm disappointed they caved. I'm even more appalled that he had the GALL to ask! And seeing as he's certainly not afraid to show support to other religions makes it even worse.

The next place needs to stand up and say NO if it's ever asked again, and he needs to get some manners, apparently. Have some respect, if you're going to use a religious place to speak.

blazeno.8

Frrl? I mean seriously, yes... he could have chosen a different venue, but at the same time... they could have flat out said NO. There is a problem on both sides here.

*Stargazer*

Ehh, I don't have a problem with them providing a neutral backdrop for his speech. I also agree that he should have opted to speak elsewhere. But then he couldn't keep trying to have it every way if he picked just one, could he?

Lapis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxAxC-_ATTACK

this country was founded with a strict separation of church and state, plus the truth is that if there was a movement of Jewish or Muslim conversion in this country, you probably wouldn't be the happiest camper, we want people to believe what we believe! and in this country that means the Christian God.

I don't care what the president believes in or the people either, I care that he does a good job! I'd vote for an atheist with a solid platform in a min if he'd run this country with some semblance of common sense, and would still go to church and write my 10% cheque, I live by 2 verses with this.

Quote:
But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your forefathers served beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD."

Quote:
Give to Caesar what is Caesar’s, and give to God what is God’s

Shadowy Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapis
this country was founded with a strict separation of church and state, plus the truth is that if there was a movement of Jewish or Muslim conversion in this country, you probably wouldn't be the happiest camper, we want people to believe what we believe! and in this country that means the Christian God.

I don't care what the president believes in or the people either, I care that he does a good job! I'd vote for an atheist with a solid platform in a min if he'd run this country with some semblance of common sense, and would still go to church and write my 10% cheque, I live by 2 verses with this.

dude, you are my hero
smiles.gif
I have a lot of admiration for the founders of America because of this point of view. The moment church (or mosque or whatever religious institution) gets mixed with politics, the country will start its downfall. Ask it from the peeps who have experienced this.

reesesilverstar

Quote:

My sentiments exactly.

TISH1124

Quote:

th_worship.gif
th_worship.gif
th_worship.gif