Giving a two weeks notice!

Pink_minx

I've been working at this retail job for almost three years...and I think it is time for me to move on. Plus my new class schedules will be totally different since it will be my last year at a community college so Im just cramming all my classes for the summer and fall to transfer to a University. So that means I will not be able to close the store anymore because I will have a few night classes. So since this is my first job...how should I go about writing this letter? Besides telling her how great it was working with the company, should I tell her the reasons why Im leaving? Then should I hand her the letter and tell her what it is or just leave it on her desk for her to read the next morning? Or does it matter at all how I do it?

Im just really nervous because Im just thinking about all these different ways of how my manager and assist. manager is going to react. Any advice?

Thanks

Kalico

I briefly explain why I'm quitting and definitely thank them for the experience and whatever else. Then leave it on their desk so they can ponder it for a bit without you being right there.

It also helps to get a written reference because people do fall out of touch. You can ask for it when they bring it up to you.

purrtykitty

^^ITA. You might also offer to help out when you are available until they find a replacement. I've done that and I've found that employers are not only grateful, but it also helps cushion the blow.

MACATTAK

I actually never give a reason why I am leaving in my letter. I let them know what day will be my last day, thank them for giving me the opportunity to work there and leave it at that. My letters are always short & to the point & I've never had a problem.

Kalico

Sometimes you don't have to say why you're quitting. If I'm not on very good terms with whomever I'm quitting to or don't really know the management I won't bother, but if we're friends or friendly I'll say why.

amoona

Giving a two week notice is always the most akward thing for me. I've honestly never written out a letter but when I've told people I'd be leaving in two weeks I just go straight to the point that I'm leaving and when I'm leaving.

az*

I've always felt giving an employer the courtesy of a face-to-face resignation, with a brief letter thanking them for the experience and setting out your finishing date, is the way to go.

You've worked with them for 3 years, I'd say that they would prefer to hear you're leaving and your reasons from you directly rather than in a letter?

Corvs Queen

I suggest making a copy because no matter what your experience with the company, sometimes things can get catty. A copy is just good protection if things go sour and they say you didn't give notice.

Latest posts