Going LA for 1st time...suggestions please?

PBunnieP

Hi ya'll

I'm heading down to LA next week [its my FIRST ever vacation anywhere without my family]! Its just gonna be my girlfriend and I, staying for a week from next Tuesday to the Tuesday after that.

We've made a list of places to go and visit but I'm wondering if anyone has good suggestions for cool places to check out beyond the obvious.
So far we've got things like, Venice beach, Universal studios, Hollywood, UCLA, and some art museums.
[We're not doing Disney this time.]
Good places to cheap places to shop?

We're also NOT driving... so we booked a hotel near the metro but neither of use have figured out how it works. If anyone can explain about the tap cards and week passes [do they work for both bus and metro?] that would be alot of help.

And also what to wear?!?! Its still pretty cool here in Vancouver but I expect LA to be much warmer [even when its not sunny]. Are dresses/skirts okay this time of year? Will I need jackets? I'm just all over the place right now.

Thanks in advance and I promise to post pictures
greengrin.gif

LeeleeBell

I drive ...so have not had to find my way around otherwise, sorry I can't help as far as that goes. But here are some more suggestions of places to go/things to see.

When you go to Hollywood, look for the double decker/tour buses that you can buy for a decent enough price...usually they let you do it over 2 days. That's a good bet because the tour will give you highlights of places that you might find hard to reach on a regular city bus. Then you know what places you might want to check out again when the tour is over, and you often get some great suggestions from fellow travelers and the tour guide.

(1) I recommend doing some studio tours other than Universal...Warner Bros. and Paramount Studios both offer some cool behind the scenes tours (Warner Bros. seems to be a better tour tho imo). Check ahead for availability.

(2) The Getty Museum (Los Angeles) and the Getty Villa (Malibu)

(3) Santa Monica: The Santa Monica Pier and 3rd Street Promenade, two of my favorite places (especially on weekends with the street performers)

(4) The Grove/Farmer's Market

(5) Griffith Park & Observatory

(6) Olvera Street

(7) A tv show taping? Check online for free tv show taping tickets.

http://www.nbc.com/the-tonight-show/...column|tickets
Jay Leno show site says you need to get tickets 4 weeks in advance, but if you tell them how far you're traveling from, I bet they would make an exception (David Letterman show did that for me)

http://www.tvtix.com/
http://www.tvtickets.com/
http://www.frommers.com/destinations...014021209.html

http://www.frommers.com is a great resource in general

MxAxC-_ATTACK

Be prepared to be hounded by men trying to sell their CD's in Venice.I can't stand the place, I find it repulsive, They get all up in your face and say things like " I love me some white women!" or "DAMN I Love your juicy ass!"

barf.

InspiredBlue

I have one very specific suggestion: Do not go on the Jurassic Park ride at Universal, unless you want to spend the rest of the day soaked and freezing. They have the signs that say "you may get wet", but it's a serious, Shamu doing a backflip right in front of you kind of wet. I learned that the hard way.
th_wink3.gif

BEA2LS

i never been there but i just wanted to say that i'm soo jealous, please posts pics, i always wanted to go
smiles.gif

PBunnieP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxAxC-_ATTACK
Be prepared to be hounded by men trying to sell their CD's in Venice.I can't stand the place, I find it repulsive, They get all up in your face and say things like " I love me some white women!" or "DAMN I Love your juicy ass!"

barf.

Oh dear >.>
I will definitely look out for that.
Are there other beaches that you suggest?
I plopped Venice Beach down on the plan just because it seems to be the most erm....popularly advertised.
I will likely drop by Manhattan beach because my hotel is close enough there.

malvales

Old Pasadena is also worth checking. Or stroll along Rodeo Drive for some window shopping because nothing is affordable there
greengrin.gif

If you go to Olvera Street, swing by Little Tokyo. There are some quirky Japanese stores and plenty of good Japanese Food if you are into that.

captodometer

It's not going to be all that warm in LA this week; the forecasted highs are only in the mid 60's. So make sure you bring a sweater or jacket, especially for evening.

Manhattan Beach is nice. Venice and Santa Monica are tourist traps.

Machinegun_Cali

got to a Dodger Game !!

I was born and raised in LA. I remember my folks giving a few bucks to me and my 4 brothers and we would spend the day at dodger stadium. Some of my best memories is at Chavez ravine. To me its better than Disneyland !

PBunnieP

Thanks for the tips and suggestions everyone! I am packing as I'm typing this. Its disapointing that the weather wont be that warm (then again...Vancouver is only around 10 or so right now, so anything higher is better) but hopefully I will get to catch a bit of sun! I'm flying 9am from YVR tmrw!
For those of you interested in photos, I will be bringing my netbook and updating posts on my blog
The Bunnie Hole

I will likely do a post in "SAY CHEESE" section of the forum when I'm back to Vancouver but check out my blog if you want up to date stuff...of my adventures or...ermmm mis-adventures? hhahaha

Thanks again everyone!