Goldenaire Pigment....Possible Fake?

I hope this is the right place to put this. I was pointed here on MUA. I bought this pigment from another MUAer. On your left in the 2 pictures is Goldenaire. On the right is Kitschmas that I bought personally at the counter from Naughty Nauticals. Thoughts please? Im not really sure how to bring it up, I dont want to go throwing around accusations. TIA!

IMG_1941.jpg

IMG_1948.jpg

MACATTAK

That Goldenaire looks fake! I have never seen one with that small Mac printing on the front before. Can you take a picture of the bottom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACATTAK
That Goldenaire looks fake! I have never seen one with that small Mac printing on the front before. Can you take a picture of the bottom?

Yes, here is the bottom and the box

IMG_1944.jpg

MACATTAK

Now from the bottom it looks authentic. The MAC name on the front looks way off, but the bottom looks fine! Do you happen to have this as a sample or something where you could compare the color?

HeavenLeiBlu

Well, that's an authentic box... I mean that jar looks hella fake, but they went through the trouble of putting it in an authentic box... even the MAC insert appears to be in there, but it comes with every color. So I figure they may have gotten taken, and were eager to swap it off to someone else, but put it in an authentic box.

I do have a sample from thebodyneeds, and it DOES look the same. Im just confused! It looks so much different than all of my other MAC pigments.

MACATTAK

Well, buying from thebodyneeds doesn't say much. Not all of their pigments are authentic. Hopefully someone else can help who maybe has a jar like this. The bottom of the jar is authentic though, so I'm not sure what's going on.

TDoll

The box, bottom, cap look authentic! It's just the print on the front of the jar is throwing me off.... It looks almost stamped on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACATTAK
Well, buying from thebodyneeds doesn't say much. Not all of their pigments are authentic. Hopefully someone else can help who maybe has a jar like this. The bottom of the jar is authentic though, so I'm not sure what's going on.

Oh man, tbn has fakes too?! Grrrr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDoll
The box, bottom, cap look authentic! It's just the print on the front of the jar is throwing me off.... It looks almost stamped on...

It does looked stamped on, exactly! If it werent for the different in font size, Id think it just got messed up when it went through the production line or something.

redambition

The stamping looks almost like a manufacturing error.

that's a tricky one because everything else about it looks authentic.

wordgirl

Has MAC been known to release misprinted containers? I know there are tiny variations, but that MAC logo doesn't fall inside the tolerance for "tiny" IMO.

Y'all would know better than I whether this ever happens.

panda0410

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenLeiBlu
Well, that's an authentic box... I mean that jar looks hella fake, but they went through the trouble of putting it in an authentic box... even the MAC insert appears to be in there, but it comes with every color. So I figure they may have gotten taken, and were eager to swap it off to someone else, but put it in an authentic box.

Listen, I dont know HOW many times this has to be said - the NEW fake boxes are IDENTICAL to real boxes. IDENTICAL.... get it?

As for the leaflets the new fakes are ALSO coming with leaflets.

I had a FAKE White Gold in my possesion the other day its box and leaflet were IDENTICAL to the real thing. The thing that gave it away was the actual pigment itself - it lacked the lovely duochrome of real White Gold. I KNOW mine was real because I bought it from Paddo last year.

There have been dozens of fake Goldenaires on ebay just now with the SAME base sticker, same silver sticker, same batch number, identical box, comes with leaflet, do I really need to go on....?
This may well be a printing error BUT because of the closeness of new fakes to real items unless this Goldenaire can be swatched against a bona-fide REAL Goldenaire then there is very little to no way you can tell if its a fake or if its real.

HeavenLeiBlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda0410
Listen, I dont know HOW many times this has to be said - the NEW fake boxes are IDENTICAL to real boxes. IDENTICAL.... get it?

As for the leaflets the new fakes are ALSO coming with leaflets.

Well the thing is, all of us may not have been around to hear any other times that you may have stated this- I, for one, have not. This is the internet and all, so I'm not certain of the tone intended, but the quote above came across to me as condescending. Please know that I and many others, I'm sure really appreciate the time and effort you've put into being an active contributor on the boards and especially all that you've put into spotting fakes and writing guides, but it shouldn't be assumed that everyone has read EVERY SINGLE POST dedicated to such. I mean, the pigment thread is 13 pages long. I obviously hadn't been aware of the info stated above, and the fervor you expressed could have easily been used to point me (and other readers) to the thread/post where that info could be found.
th_dunno.gif

panda0410

No malice intended but theres no way I can redirect every single poster that hasnt read the thread - thats what the thread is there for and if readers cant or wont read the thread then there is always the search option. Like readers cant/wont read a 13 page thread I cant/wont redirect the dozens of readers either, because honestly we are repeating ourselves again and again in the same threads.
Happy to take PMs though if anyone is unsure or wants other info
smiles.gif

HeavenLeiBlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda0410
No malice intended but theres no way I can redirect every single poster that hasnt read the thread - thats what the thread is there for and if readers cant or wont read the thread then there is always the search option. Like readers cant/wont read a 13 page thread I cant/wont redirect the dozens of readers either, because honestly we are repeating ourselves again and again in the same threads.
Happy to take PMs though if anyone is unsure or wants other info
smiles.gif

Gotcha!
thmbup.gif
And by the way, I did take the time to go through a few more pages of the comparison guide today
yes.gif

Xqueeze_me

I used to have a Goldenaire that has the same batch label on the bottom of the jar. Same fonts too. Too bad I sold it off and deleted the picture. Everything looks legit except for the distorted MAC logo. Can't help you with the pigment itself unless you have a legit Goldenaire sample or full size jar to compare..

Now to the front of the jar where the MAC logo looks distorted, I agree with redambition that's along the lines of manufacturing error. I remember seeing a post about someone's paint pot with a distorted MAC logo that spelled NAC instead of MAC. She bought it from a MAC counter/store (not sure which one) and it was lightly used as well. It was suppose to be a BNIB paint pot. Shows that MAC makes a teeny weeny mistake with printing and an MA's for not checking if its used, etc UNLESS some ass decided to dip their fingers into it and put it back in the drawer/shelf. Then the unsuspecting MA picked that up and sell it.

Been scouring through the threads but just can't seem to find that particular post/picture.
ssad.gif

Thank you everyone! I did email the MUA'er, I was trying to be very polite and unaccusing, asking if she would mind letting me know where she got it. She said she's been collecting MAC for over 5 yrs and this pigment is from a CCO in Washington and it is definitely legit. It doesnt completely ease my mind but I guess theres nothing more I can do at this point. My sample of Goldenaire from thebodyneeds cant be proven its authentic 100% so I guess theres no more I can do. I appreciate everyone's imput, its very helpful
smiles.gif

girloflowers

if it's not an LE product, why not swatch it on your hand and then sneakily go to a mac store and swatch their one next to it?

if that's allowed o_O

panda0410

^^ It is LE
smiles.gif
From 2005 it wont be in any MAC store now I dont think
winks.gif

As for swatching at MAC it might be better to just ask to see a pigment.

Latest posts