Good Drugstore/inexpensive Matte Shadows?

LorraineER

Hey all!

I'm looking for some basic matte eyeshadows you can pick up at the drugstore. My main concern is finding shades with decent payoff. I don't know where to start- what's good and what to skip. The colors I need most are brown/tan,grey,green,purple & pink.. I picked up the Wet N Wild Color Icon purple palette and the two darker matte purples in that were great. I think the quality of those color icon shadows are impressive for drugstore but I just don't really want the other ones that originally came out or I'd just grab all those and be set!
I looked in the threads and found similar questions but not quite the same- others wanted MAC mattes, or a specific color, etc.

Thanks in advance!!

arlingtonian

I have found that NYX makes some excellent matte single eyeshadows. They probably aren't available at a drugstore but they're available at cherry culture for less than four dollars each. The shadows that are matte are marked.

http://www.cherryculture.com/cosmetics/makeup/nyx-cosmetics/nyx-single-eyeshadow/16150&cat=0&page=1

The only others that I can think of are the Revlon Mattes but I didn't find them to really be high quality.

LorraineER

I'll look for some swatches of their mattes and see how it goes. Thanks for the suggestion and the link!

LorraineER

Thanks UrbanD0ll. The Revlon mattes- are you talking about eyeshadow singles? I notice the quads at the drugstore but I can't tell if the shades are matte or not...

Cydonian

What colours are you looking for? I like some of the Revlon mattes... the blue is ok, and I love the off white (Vintage Lace). I use that seriously on a daily base and am hitting pan
smiles.gif
It's great for blending out your crease colours or just a mattifying all over the lid shade for a quick look.

LorraineER

There's some looks and tutorials online that I like that call for mattes to help blend, and for highlighting and to use as base shades and since I didn't have any mattes at all I couldn't try doing the looks on myself.
I'll have to check out Vintage Lace. I think what I want most are some matte purple, grey and brown shades but I'd like to have at least one matte shade of most colors that I use like a matte forest green or army green and a matte medium blue, a matte reddish shade, etc. One of the things I want to do is some smoky eyes but all I have is shimmer and sparkly shades and I don't really like having shimmer all the way from lashes to eyebrow.

angelynv

Sleek Palettes are good but obviously they dont come individually but they are pretty darn cheap (£5.99)

GlammySammy

I too have been on the hunt for some matte shadows! It seems like everything these days is so shimmery and glittery.... maybe its just me
th_dunno.gif

Everyone pretty much mentioned all the ones that I've looked at so far... NYX has mattes in singles and they also just recently released a
palette that contains ONLY mattes! It's called Matte Smokey - One Night In Morocco
Revlon has a collection of mattes but only a few of them are worth it. (I ended up swapping most of the darker colors as they were very hard to blend
and chalky) but the lighter colors were great!
L'Oreal has some as well.. they are only in palettes that I have seen though. It usually says imprinted in the shadow if it's matte or has a plastic thing
to say which ones are matte, shimmer etc.
Also.. Physicians Formula has a couple quads I have been dying to get my hands on
http://www.physiciansformula.com/en-us/productdetail/eyes/eye-shadows/03882.html
That should pull up the Matte Collection Quad Eye Shadow
Those look awesome so if you get your hands on them please post swatches!!

Meisje

Wet N Wild's Color Icon line has been getting rave reviews, and they contain some matte shadows.

Latest posts